Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 7.6 Gets Pulled Into Ubuntu 9.10

Phoronix: Mesa 7.6 Gets Pulled Into Ubuntu 9.10

Ubuntu 9.10 had its beta release last week and the final release is coming in just three weeks, but this late in the release cycle, it has been decided to pull in the final Mesa 7.6 version. Pulling in this newer code that provides OpenGL acceleration on Linux provides numerous bug-fixes along with support for a greater number of OpenGL extensions on different hardware and other improvements.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ZOMG My 2900XT has been sitting in the closet gathering rust and dust for almost 2 years! Meanwhile I have been living on the nVidia blob and a 8800Ultra happily ever after. Everyday I read the news that R600/R700 3D is not coming up makes me feel happier because I did the right thing and tossed it not too late.

Guess what, I'm actually thinking about donating my 2900XT to some X.Org developer. Who wants one?! Buy the way you need at least a 550W PSU, tons of 12V Amps to power it up.

Comment

this latest Mesa code in Ubuntu does not provide ATI R600/700 3D acceleration support by default
      So uh, anyone know if there's an easy way to get this? PPA etc...

Comment

Is there any benchmark how does it work with ATI R300 series?
        Is it worth upgrading Kubuntu from 9.04 + KDE 4.3.2 to 9.10 with ATI card?

Comment

I'm also wondering about the radeon performance. I don't think I've seen any benchmarks of the new rewritten codebase except for a couple when it first came out and wasn't optimized very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Alien_Overlord View Post
            So uh, anyone know if there's an easy way to get this? PPA etc...
            Yes, the mesa packages in the xorg-edgers PPA have the r600 support enabled. You will also need a newer kernel than the one in Karmic, and this you can find in the Mainline Kernel PPA.

Comment

nor is ATI kernel mode-setting enabled for Ubuntu 9.10
              It is enabled in the build, but not enabled by default run-time. So you just have to add "radeon.modeset=1" to the boot options.

Comment

... and kwin compositioning is broken after the upgrade (on radeon)...

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
                  Bug link, please?

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
                    Working fine here on my X1600 mobility.

Comment

Working...
                    X