Lavapipe CPU-Based Vulkan Driver Implements Ray-Tracing Pipelines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
    (…) But yes, the software renderer can run crysis, even if it's at lowest settings, 800x500, and at a shitty 10-20fps, it is almost playable, it would be if every few seconds it didn't lock up for seconds to minutes at a time (maybe compiling vulkan shaders?). But also take a look at my cpu utilization! It's so low! (…)
    llvmpipe, swrast and lavapipe can't scale past a certain number of CPU cores, so theoretically there's still some potential for an additional speed-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
      This is totally academic and beyond the use-case of the CPU solution, but I can't help wonder how many CPU cores and/or what clockspeed they'd have to run to get GPU-levels of performance using this solution. I imagine it might be in the hundreds or thousands of cores
      Find someone still rocking an Intel Larrabee / Knights Landing many CPU core card. They had something like 70 + Intel Atom cores each with AVX/AVX2 like SIMD vector units at 512 bits wide. In fact some of the vector units had capabilities similar to AVX 512.

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post
        For games, it does not need to calculate RayTracing on its own, just support the GPU when it has some time left. So this is an excellent use case for when its GPU bottlenecked, so that the CPU has to wait for the GPU. Or when the game does not utilize all CPU cores otherwise. I mean I am talking about CPUs in most end users PCs.
        I doubt that's feasible, remember CPU and GPU need to communicate over a slow PCIe connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
          I doubt that's feasible, remember CPU and GPU need to communicate over a slow PCIe connection.
          That's less of an issue if the CPU already has to wait for GPU and is just idling. If the game/application is programmed with this in mind, it could have some workload sitting for the GPU that the CPU could help out with.

Comment

That's less of an issue if the CPU already has to wait for GPU and is just idling. If the game/application is programmed with this in mind, it could have some workload sitting for the GPU that the CPU could help out with.
            It's not about idling but to deliver your partly rendered frame from the CPU to the GPU in time to sync with the right frame, without delaying it further than what would have happened when doing everything on the GPU.

Comment

It's not about idling but to deliver your partly rendered frame from the CPU to the GPU in time to sync with the right frame, without delaying it further than what would have happened when doing everything on the GPU.
              It doesn't need to render a full image right? Only part of what is required to do. Doesn't the GPU break down the image in different parts? I'm not talking about current toolkits that are not aware of this advantage. Off course game and toolkits need to support this. Just in theory off course, maybe its not possible as you suggest.

Comment

Of course you would only render a very small part of the full frame but you only have (depending on your FPS) a short amount of time.
                Imagine a single Frame at 60 FPS (~ 16 ms):
                Code:
                GPU:  | ... display of pref frame      | render 95% of frame |             | fuse CPU + GPU frame and display |
                CPU:  | game world state | send to GPU | render 5% of frame  | send to GPU | begin frame 2 ...​
                Time: | 4 ms             | 1 ms        | 10 ms               | 1ms         |
                Those are totally made up times but your GPU is at least 100 times faster than you CPU for rendering, so my scenario is still too favorable for typical CPUs. To render 5% of the frame on your CPU takes 10 ms while it would only take 0,5 ms on the GPU, faster than sending the data over PCIe and merging the frame.

And then you have to think of all the things that could go wrong, for example Windows doing updates in the background and you have to delay the frame even further. The potential gain would be minimal compared to the work and risks involved. Remember all the stutter problems back in the days of dual GPU (SLI)? And those dual GPUs were identical in speed.
                Last edited by Anux; 11 April 2024, 08:10 AM.

Comment

your GPU is at least 100 times faster than you CPU for rendering, so my scenario is still too favorable for typical CPUs.
                  There are plenty of games (and configurations) where it is bottlenecked by the GPU and the CPU has to wait for each frame. And you are comparing todays workload and tools, not a game that is optimized to take advantage of, plus with AVX-512 (or even something better in the future) the CPU could help in some points. But probably the video split would make perfect synchronization impossible. Well it was just an idea.

Comment

There are plenty of games (and configurations) where it is bottlenecked by the GPU and the CPU has to wait for each frame.
                    As I tried to show you in the code block, it doesn't matter if the CPU is totally idle, it can only start to render when the world state for the frame is ready and is of no use if it takes longer than the GPU.

And you are comparing todays workload and tools, not a game that is optimized to take advantage of
                    What do you want to optimize or take advantage of? The time limit is there and you have to fit the workload in it.

plus with AVX-512 (or even something better in the future) the CPU could help in some points.
                    I think you don't understand why we even have graphics cards. They are much faster (100 times was much in favor of CPUs). Even if AVX gives us a 4 x improvement it would be a drop in the ocean.
                    Have a look at 128 threads server CPU vs integrated GPU (at higher resolution): https://www.phoronix.com/review/mete...raphics#page-4 https://www.phoronix.com/news/LLVMpipe-Mesa-19.0-Performance

And that is not even accounting for new features like ray tracing.

Comment

I think you don't understand why we even have graphics cards.
                      Have a look at 128 threads server CPU vs integrated GPU (at higher resolution)
                      I understand why we have graphics cards. My point was not to replace the GPU with CPU for gaming, rather "support" when it had time for. If this is feasible, I don't know. But that was the idea. I mean look at smartphones, without a dedicated graphics card or a game console. Smartphones and game consoles have RayTracing too.

Comment

Working...
                      X