Mesa's CPU-Based Vulkan Driver Now Supports Ray-Tracing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bisu View Post
    In wolfenstein the walls are simply drawed vertically with a proportion to search the right color in the texture."
    Yes that's because the ray tracing only operates in 2D space and you need a way to extrapolate this to a 2D image rather than a line on your monitor. But it still traces rays.

1024x1 pixels resolution ? Is this your argumentation ? For real ?
    Where is your problem here? Is this not ray tracing? How many pixels do you need to call it ray tracing and why?

What you call shortcuts are fundamental data limitations that permit to use another more efficient algorithm than ray tracing.
    I don't understand what you try to say?

In this last explanation you get the point. If you have 2d rays in a 2d space, you can only render a horizontal line of pixels with rays intersection
    And that is not ray tracing? Wikipedia says otherwise but maybe you have a different definition? Keep in mind I could do the exact same in 3D space while keeping the value for height always 0.

You described photon mapping but this is not a shortcut, it is a totally different algorithm, in common there is only the fact that all use rays.
    I think our conversation suffers from you having a different definition of ray tracing. Ray tracing describes all algorithms that trace rays independent of it's direction. Photon mapping, MLT, bidirectional RT, ray casting, path tracing ...

The point is that wolfenstein do not use raycasting but something like a scanline and for sure do not use rays like raytracing.
    So wikipedia is wrong, that happens, where is your source?

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
      So wikipedia is wrong, that happens, where is your source?
      I rebate, wolfenstein is not a ray casting engine because this is the definition of ray casting from wikipedia : "... where virtual light rays are "cast" or "traced" on their path from the focal point of a camera through each pixel in the camera sensor to determine what is visible along the ray in the 3D scene..."
      In wolfenstein the vertical walls are not drawed with ray casting, nor the floor or ceiling and obviously not the sprites.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisu View Post
        In wolfenstein the vertical walls are not drawed with ray casting, nor the floor or ceiling and obviously not the sprites.
        That's right, ray casting is only used in the 2D space to determine the position and shading of walls/sprites. For me that doesn't matter because ray casting is clearly used just not for the direct/final output, for you that doesn't count. I guess we won't find a common ground here.

But in the end it doesn't matter, I just wanted to show that the Intel tech demo has hardly anything in common with modern ray tracers and that's the reason it can do it in real time on the CPU. If I would build a ray tracer and simplify it enough and reduce the resolution enough it would be able to run on much older CPUs than the 16 core xeons but a cyberpunk (which isn't even completely ray traced) like game would certainly not be able to run in real time even on a 96 core CPU if we target at least 1080p.

Comment

Working...
        X