No announcement yet.

UWP'ed Mesa Running On Microsoft Xbox, Allowing For New Game Ports With OpenGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UWP'ed Mesa Running On Microsoft Xbox, Allowing For New Game Ports With OpenGL

Phoronix: UWP'ed Mesa Running On Microsoft Xbox, Allowing For New Game Ports With OpenGL

Recently there has been out-of-tree successes on adapting Mesa to work on Microsoft's Universal Windows Platform (UWP). UWP is also used by the Microsoft Xbox Series X/S game consoles and in turn paired with the Microsoft D3D12 driver work within Mesa for allowing OpenGL and other APIs atop D3D12, is allowing new games/software to be ported to the Xbox...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome. Some moron supporting micro$oft. Remind me what license Mesa has?

Comment

Interesting.

I remember being tasked to port our existing LEGO titles to the early UWP platform (Windows RT era) and it was fairly horrific. Some highlights:
      • Developer license. Cracking for the build servers that was a time suck.
      • Microsoft's "modern" C++ APIs are terrible. Full of boilerplate noise *AND* unsafe. Good job!
      • Even the DirectX API was butchered so our internal OpenGL shims were very difficult to adapt
      • C++/clr is pretty great as a concept. C++/cx is a pile of worthless shite.
      We were later approached to port some titles to the HoloLens. Usually we make good money being early adopters to platforms but for this we refused. Luckily I pushed for that because the HoloLens was an artificial failure before we would have completed the port.

Seeing a nice Mesa port will help sidestep all the weak points of the platform.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
        The MIT

Comment

Some years ago I was reading about MS killing off UWP. What happened to that?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            You must be confusing it with something else.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              They did migrate UWP to WindowsAppSDK and Webview2 on Desktop platform, but Xbox is different than regular Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                Why is he a moron? Mesa code is open, he can do whatever he wants with it. This is why we should have open source - people should be able to use it how they want. But look at it with a different angle, if m$ will adapt mesa for UWP, they might start contributing more to the mesa itself, fixing bugs, adding new features which linux could use.

Comment

Originally posted by pharmasolin View Post

Why is he a moron? Mesa code is open, he can do whatever he wants with it.
                  Because for some people are triggered and have a twitch everytime they hear the word Microsoft. They would prefer to ban the company if they could get away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                    Interesting... C++ APIs are terrible. Full of boilerplate noise *AND* unsafe. Good job!
                    Lol. Interesting indeed.

Comment

Working...
                    X