Zink Lands Support For Partial Updates / Damage Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dragorth View Post
    What makes you think using Vulkan has any benefits over OpenGL for a compositor? The 2D plane with a bit of eye candy is going to be single threaded and light weight no matter which one you use.
    battery life is big one for me, less cpu usage is another big one, lot of new features are vulkan only, OpenGL sucks anyway (multithreading is PITA) from developer perspective too https://twitter.com/SebAaltonen/stat...08107348115461, eye candy is least interesting part of vulkan, there are more Laptop and mobile users than desktop users , I am waiting for new Qualcomm Snapdragon Elite X Laptop due to good battery life like Apple M-series

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
      Asahi might do the same aswell
      Asahi now has a fully working native OpenGL 4.6 driver. I see no reason for them to switch to Zink any time soon considering the GPU inside is already only with tricks able to do GL4.6 and will have a even harder time with Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Also NVIDIA, but that is because for the professional applications (aka AutoCAD, etc.), they are OpenGL first, and only (and typically are only "certified" with specific versions of the driver) and none of those dGPU vendors are going to consider dropping their OpenGL drivers for their professional users until those applications change targets, which is likely to be closer to never.
        God I wish that was the case, It's 2024 sir, not 2010

Comment

Originally posted by remm View Post
          Why is Valve interested in GL on VK since they're never going to use any NVidia GPU in their hardware ?
          My assumption in general: Steam Deck might be ARM based in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Are you funding that effort (either by contributing the PRs to do so, or hiring someone to do it)?
            Since it is a frequently beloved indulgence on this forum (and elsewhere), I feel like it's worth pointing out that the "what have you done to fund it / code it yourself" response to anyone any time they say something like "hmm seems like X might be a good idea" or "hmm why isn't X more like Y" or yes, even "golly I sure don't like X / I sure would like Y" is an obvious and shameless exercise in gaslighting. It is disingenous and it adds nothing to the conversation.

And yes, it is gaslighting plain and simple. You are not righteously admonishing someone for something worthy of admonishment. You are gaslighting for the sake of gaslighting.

This nonsense is a favorite of the cluster-B among us because on the surface or at first glance it seems kind of plausibly righteous or reasonable, like yeah that son of a bitch who is he to complain what has he done?! In reality of course this is a forum on the internet where people have off-the-cuff conversations and where randomly stating observations and yes, even opinions is completely within the bounds of normal and expected behavior.

Your gaslighting in such circumstances, on the other hand, is not. Your public display of narcissistic personality traits is the trash that clutters the conversation, not the people you attempt to gaslight.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

I still don't get why compositors still use OpenGL, they ALL should switch to Vulkan ASAP.
              exactly the same reasons applications still use C++ when they "could" just write everything in assembly.

claiming everyone should switch from opengl to vulkan has about as much merit as claiming everyone should switch from C++ to ASM....

GPUs just developed the opposite way round, its only recently GPU vendors opened up low level access to their hardware, whereas CPUs all started with ASM first and higher level languages and APis grew out from that.
              Last edited by mSparks; 01 March 2024, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                Is this stuff was baked in from the ground up in Vulkan in some way, right?
                Vulkan isn't magic. It can't tell the compositor which parts of a surface the client actually modified, which is what this is about.

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post
                  What makes you think using Vulkan has any benefits over OpenGL for a compositor? The 2D plane with a bit of eye candy is going to be single threaded and light weight no matter which one you use.
                  The benefits… hum let’s see.
                  Maybe relying on a fully supported & modern api vs relying on a depreciated dying one makes sense…… (even if final perfs are similar)

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

The benefits… hum let’s see.
                    Maybe relying on a fully supported & modern api vs relying on a depreciated dying one makes sense…… (even if final perfs are similar)
                    we weren't talking about directx.

zink is/will be the new, completely cross platform defacto standard driver for high level graphics programming, dxvk is something else entirely.
                    Last edited by mSparks; 01 March 2024, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post

we weren't talking about directx.

zink is/will be the new, completely cross platform defacto standard driver for high level graphics programming, dxvk is something else entirely.
                      What pills are you taking, where do I even talk about DirectX ?

Comment

Working...
                      X