Asahi Linux's Apple M1/M2 Gallium3D Driver Now OpenGL ES 3.1 Conformant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

This i agree with you on, if you go on eBay you can find an 8-10 year old system for cheap that still has a lot of life left in it, like i remember finding a dual i7 920 based Xeon motherboard/CPU combo, with 24gb of tri-channel for $200.

I wasn't fast enough to buy it, someone snagged it before I did.

The problem is though that those old systems generate a lot of heat and use a lot of electricity compared to a new system and while it may be cool to be get one and maybe set it up as a server, realistically a new middle of the road Alder Lake would be a better option for the most part.

Kind of like finding car with a big block V8, yeah it may be kind of cool to go for a ride with the beefy V8 that shakes and rumbles with power but then you drive a Tesla and you realize how outdated that V8 is.
    It's more about efficiency than a raw power consumption. Actually, power consumption itself has increased a lot on the mainstream desktop platforms compared to where it used to be, so from this specific point of view you are even kind of wrong. Nowadays mainstream desktop platforms like AM5/LGA1700 are closer to original HEDT than original mainstream desktop as far as power consumption goes.

Comment

I'm talking about the type of processing power required to launch a specific application and make it do specific tasks, I'm talking about a person with crippling arthritis that can power up a computer and then using only their voice install MS Office, fire up Word and start dictating a novel, U;m talking about a person with a broken hand that can launch a FPS with his voice and control the action by saying "run", "jump", "shoot", etc.
      You can't install apps using voice assistant, but that is most likely just for security reasons. Dictation of text has been there already for ages.
      Playing FPS using voice, that is technically possible too and is easy to implement, but doesn't make any sense whatsoever, since voice is the worst tool for this job one could imagine.

Comment

First of all Linux Is Not Unix, or haven't you heard?

No one on here is using unix, Unix or UNIX, and I suspect that most do not know the difference between Unix and UNIX without Googling it.

As for the tasks you mentioned, it's time to realize that we are not still in the 70's and 80's, you can do all of those on a Mac since OS X, since it is based on Darwin and does have a console and does support unix commands.

Also, that's what you use your computer for, running bash, text based chat, writing perl scripts and playing music from a console?

LOL, I guess you won't be upgrading to a computer built in the last 2 decades anytime soon.
        Thanks for your boring lecture about unix, reminded me of annoying uncles that parrot the same stuff since decades at family dinners while everyone starts yawning.

You could actually enlighten us all about what it is exactly you do on windows and macos you can't do on linux.

Fyi I have fairly modern systems because I game, compile buildroot for embedded devices on them, and recompile kernels often to write/debug drivers that eventually get upstreamed, rip blurays, such things, and yes I happen to still use IRC and browse the web quite a lot. I'm not too sure why that sounds ridiculous to you.

If you gave me ancient hardware with macos panther on it, the first thing I'd do would be to install linux so I can run contemporary lightweight, mostly terminal based software on it, and multitask like I was able to on my ibook G3, instead of being stuck with a useless system that can barely do anything at all in 2023 (not that it could really do anything back in 2002 either with that abomination of an "operating system", maybe launch a notepad or something, no thx I'll use vim)

Do you realize that we already had virtual workspaces back then? I guess you don't because you're clueless, and have 0 clue about what a modern linux desktop is like, given your biases.

Personally I think music producers and graphists are better off on Mac, I'm not a linux maximalist to be clear, it just fits the way I work, and spend my free time, don't know why you're being so obnoxious about other people's work/hobbies.

Comment

First of all Linux Is Not Unix, or haven't you heard?

No one on here is using unix, Unix or UNIX, and I suspect that most do not know the difference between Unix and UNIX without Googling it.

As for the tasks you mentioned, it's time to realize that we are not still in the 70's and 80's, you can do all of those on a Mac since OS X, since it is based on Darwin and does have a console and does support unix commands.

Also, that's what you use your computer for, running bash, text based chat, writing perl scripts and playing music from a console?

LOL, I guess you won't be upgrading to a computer built in the last 2 decades anytime soon.
          Ironically since MacOS is based off BSD so its a lot closer to standard unix than Linux is.
          Last edited by mdedetrich; 23 August 2023, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Yeah so playing a 576p dvd on macos 9 is a lot closer to the true unix spirit than reverse-engineering gpu drivers. I tell you, it's the pinnacle of computing, nothing can compare. It's truly useful, high IQ usage, but beware you need a degree in CyBeRsECuRiTy to really appreciate using the hardware to its true potential.

Comment

Originally posted by citral View Post
              Thanks for your boring lecture about unix, reminded me of annoying uncles that parrot the same stuff since decades at family dinners while everyone starts yawning.

You could actually enlighten us all about what it is exactly you do on windows and macos you can't do on linux.

If you gave me ancient hardware with macos panther on it, the first thing I'd do would be to install linux so I can run contemporary lightweight, mostly terminal based software on it, and multitask like I was able to on my ibook G3, instead of being stuck with a useless system that can barely do anything at all in 2023 (not that it could really do anything back in 2002 either with that abomination of an "operating system", maybe launch a notepad or something, no thx I'll use vim)
              First things first, you basically admit that you do not know the difference between Unix and UNIX and couldn't figure it out even after Googling.

Second, I use Windows primarily for two things, MS Office, specifically for data and scientific analysis using Excel when something like FORTRAN or Python is not warranted. Sorry but no other office suite is as feature rich as Word, Excel and PowerPoint., and with MS' new AI powered Copilot the difference between having professional, educated software developers and open source "coders" that have to give their "code" away because no one will actually pay for it.

Third, video editing. There is no open source video editing software that can compete with Magix's software, despite the fact that I really like Avidemux and Shotcut.

Also games, specifically DC Legends Mobile that is only available for Android that i play on Win 10 via Nox Player. It's not possible to run Android apps on Linux via an emulator, though there is a distro dedicated specifically to running Android apps.

Lastly, the G4 and G5 Macs were great for editing mpeg-2 back in the day as well as editing pics via Photoshop. They were great for capturing video and audio production and Apple has gone back to those days with the ARM based Macs.

Comment

First things first, you basically admit that you do not know the difference between Unix and UNIX and couldn't figure it out even after Googling.

Second, I use Windows primarily for two things, MS Office, specifically for data and scientific analysis using Excel when something like FORTRAN or Python is not warranted. Sorry but no other office suite is as feature rich as Word, Excel and PowerPoint., and with MS' new AI powered Copilot the difference between having professional, educated software developers and open source "coders" that have to give their "code" away because no one will actually pay for it.

Third, video editing. There is no open source video editing software that can compete with Magix's software, despite the fact that I really like Avidemux and Shotcut.

Also games, specifically DC Legends Mobile that is only available for Android that i play on Win 10 via Nox Player. It's not possible to run Android apps on Linux via an emulator, though there is a distro dedicated specifically to running Android apps.

Lastly, the G4 and G5 Macs were great for editing mpeg-2 back in the day as well as editing pics via Photoshop. They were great for capturing video and audio production and Apple has gone back to those days with the ARM based Macs.
                That's kinda funny because real data scientists use jupyter, if it's "not warranted" for your usage then it's not pro and you could have cut the diatribe about about "educated coders".

Serious scientists publish their work in open standards, universities use open standards, public agencies use open standards. Nobody serious want their files to be unreadable binary proprietary blobs in 15 years.

Besides, office hard copies are dead, it's moving to office 365.

Video, sounds like pitivi would be plenty enough to edit your dog recordings.

Anbox runs android games on linux, but just play it on phone or tablet really, ridiculous use case.

Nobody uses mpeg2 anymore, time to stop living in the past.

Comment

Don't waste your time explaining things to him.

We, as well as the 99% of the world using Windows and macOS just need to know that our OS and the software we use on our OS are the same things that are used in most corporations and governments all over the world. Whatever their workflow is, WE have no problems complying and integrating ourselves into them.

Encrypted or complex PDFs that can only be viewed in Adobe Reader on macOS and Windows. Any other PDF viewer flat out breaks the PDF.

MS Office files with complex formatting and formulas that will break LibreOffice, SoftMaker Office and OnlyOffice.

Sharing and control of screens and desktops on the likes of Zoom and Teams which are a complete trainwreck on Linux and Wayland.

Effortless integration with Microsoft enterprise services like Active Directory and Microsoft Exchange

Proper audio that works reliably unlike the trainwreck that is Pipewire

Full vendor support for newly released hardware, no questions asked. Any desktop computer, notebook PC or DIY desktop build are made for Windows and Windows will always work on them no matter what. Not like Linux with strange boot issues or booting to black screens. USB WiFi devices all get official Windows and macOS drivers direct from the vendor or the chipset vendor from day one: Linux still doesn't have 802.11ax support for any USB WiFi device in late 2023. Every printer in the market has a proper Windows or macOS driver that exposes all the features the printer is capable of; Linux users are stuck with only overpriced HPs.

Windows' legendary ABI stability means a Vista or Win 7 x64 driver will still work on Windows 11 for the most part. Even EOL graphics cards from AMD and Nvidia can have their official Vista or Win 7 x64 drivers loaded into Windows 11 with full performance. Tested and confirmed personally with a GT 240 on Windows 11.

Effortless integration with Secured Access Managers like BeyondTrust which allow for complete control over many aspects of Windows and macOS, as such automatic disabling of user accounts and hardware, and integration of 2FA against RSA tokens for the graphical log in. Also, the encrypted RDP sessions generated by such managers only work on the official RDP client supplied by Microsoft for Windows and macOS. I tried using FreeRDP on one of these sessions and immediately triggered a security alert at the user's end which caused a fuckton of pain for me.

Logging into the protected desktop session by scanning an RF badge or inserting a smartcard; only possible on Windows and macOS. Non-existent on Linux.

Availability of proprietary firewall VPN clients for Windows and macOS only means only Windows and macOS computers can access protected resourced over the proprietary VPN. Linux users are completely SOL here; go and try explaining to a customer you could not VPN into a their protected system at an agreed schedule because there is no Linux client and see if you get fired on the spot or not.

And things that matter personally to me: three Chinese apps and one Chinese SDK I play around with daily only have Windows and macOS versions.

And we can go on and on.

Watch and mark my words; Linux apologists will start coming with lame deflections such as "we don't need these" "i don't want these" "nobody should be using these".
                  Last edited by Sonadow; 24 August 2023, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Hahaha, this is priceless, just realised you are mocking closed source enthusiasts in a subtle way

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

And we can go on and on.
                      You are so focused on bashing and hating Linux. Is it something personal? Did a Linux user do something bad to you?

Of course Microsoft and Apple want to keep their market share, so their products mostly work only with their OSes. And other software developers focus on most popular platforms which are Windows and MacOS. Is that Linux's fault?
                      There are many things one can do with Linux and can't do with MacOS or Windows. Except Desktop, Linux is almost a monopoly everywhere else, from supercomputers to smartwatches and smaller IoT devices.

Comment

Working...
                      X