Rosenzweig Steps Down As Open-Source Arm Mali "Panfrost" Driver Maintainer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldtimefighter View Post
    Damn, we are really diverging from our known reality here. Apple selling M1/M2 chips for servers that run Linux? OK than...
    you just don't get the point apple will not do this to sell apple chips as linux servers to sell apple chips as linux servers... no the reason is something else. they have the problem that if they order just an imaginary example 100 chips and they are able to sell 80 chips in their marketshare market they sit on 20 chips they can not sell or could only sell with massive price cut what would canibalize their higher priced products... also apple is already reduce their chip orders from TSMC because their market is already filled.

now what to do with these 20 chips they have in stock in this imaginary example ? very simple they sell it as micro servers with linux on it. this automatically reduce their chips in stock to zero and also they no longer need cut the orders from TSMC.,..

your believe that apple is not allowed to sell their chips/systems with linux as servers is foolish.

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by kimixa View Post
      Interesting Alyssa made a change to the upstream PowerVR driver a week ago (https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...rc/imagination), but I think it would be a bit weird if you got hired by someone to work on it and start before your last day at your previous company, and using your previous employer's email and whatnot.
      don't do this to me, even if it's small, don't give me hope.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

you just don't get the point apple will not do this to sell apple chips as linux servers to sell apple chips as linux servers... no the reason is something else. they have the problem that if they order just an imaginary example 100 chips and they are able to sell 80 chips in their marketshare market they sit on 20 chips they can not sell or could only sell with massive price cut what would canibalize their higher priced products... also apple is already reduce their chip orders from TSMC because their market is already filled.

now what to do with these 20 chips they have in stock in this imaginary example ? very simple they sell it as micro servers with linux on it. this automatically reduce their chips in stock to zero and also they no longer need cut the orders from TSMC.,..

your believe that apple is not allowed to sell their chips/systems with linux as servers is foolish.

What is foolish is you making up words I didn't say as everyone can see my quote. I didn't say anything about Apple wasn't "allowed" to sell their chips to run Linux on servers. I did infer it wasn't likely happening on Earth-1 where the rest of us are here.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

don't do this to me, even if it's small, don't give me hope.
          I'm not sure I get your excitement about that possibility - Alyssa's expertise seems to be around reverse engineering things without support, I feel that working on an open source driver actively being developed by engineers from the company who developed the IP (and so presumably have all the internal documentation and support paths necessary) is almost a waste of her talents....

Comment

Working...
          X