Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zink Lands A Simple Fix To Boost Doom Performance By ~10x

Phoronix: Zink Lands A Simple Fix To Boost Doom Performance By ~10x

For fans of the Doom (2016) video game looking to enjoy the title with the Zink OpenGL-on-Vulkan implementation, a simple fix showed how addressing a simple oversight can boost the performance by a magnitude of 10x...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Run Doom 16 on Vulkan is for losers, winners run it using OpenGL through Vulkan.

Anyway, fantastic boost.

Comment

Great.. How does it perform compared to "native" OpenGL then?

Comment

Doom 2016 is a nice benchmark, for Native Vulkan vs OpenGL through Vulkan. When it reaches parity (if ever), the code is good. If it goes better than native then I am shocked at the confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
          Doom 2016 is a nice benchmark, for Native Vulkan vs OpenGL through Vulkan. When it reaches parity (if ever), the code is good. If it goes better than native then I am shocked at the confusion.
          Not entirely impossible if besides the translation it also does some sort of optimization. That would however mean that the native Vulkan implementation is also missing such optimization.

Comment

Originally posted by SofS View Post
            Not entirely impossible if besides the translation it also does some sort of optimization. That would however mean that the native Vulkan implementation is also missing such optimization.
            Yeah, thus the confusion which I mentioned. Even theoretically it should be impossible, if by going by you are saying is correct. Although, isn't the Vulkan implementation in Doom 2016 older while Zink is actively being developed (with a more modern Vulkan API extensions). Of course just staying positive..
            Last edited by Sethox; 09 February 2023, 03:38 PM. Reason: Grammar correction

Comment

If I had a girlfriend, I would let him bang her!​
              Women aren't property you can distribute at your leisure.

As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. And you may use the plunder [Yahweh] your God gives you from your enemies. (Deuteronomy 20:14 NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by Velocity View Post
                Women aren't property you can distribute at your leisure.

As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. And you may use the plunder [Yahweh] your God gives you from your enemies. (Deuteronomy 20:14 NIV)
                Of course not, I know that, but I meant like if she was willing and interested in engaging in such an act, then I wouldn't be upset about it. I would be okay with it.

Comment

Too bad this is not getting into Mesa 23!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    Too bad this is not getting into Mesa 23!
                    It is a trivial patch, would be very easy to add to a build if you really want it before it is in a mesa release.

I find it crazy that just a flag was causing a software fall back, destroying performance.

Comment

Working...
                    X