Microsoft Adds AV1 Decode Support To Their Mesa D3D12 Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

Microsoft can afford to throw 50 people at it for 8 hours a day. At the end of a week that's 2000 man hours.

Linux Mint can afford to throw 3 people at it, likely not for 8 hours a day. At best, that's 120 man hours in the week.

Now you tell me why we're at where we are at.
    Actually many companies contribute to Linux desktop including RedHat what primary business is not related to desktop users.

Comment

Originally posted by miskol View Post

Just search for HEVC in microsoft store
      you can't play HEVC in windows without that
      And it only works when you have hw with HEVC decoder
      so no software fallback.
      Yes it all works just fine with some codec packs or VLC
      but windows don't enable HEVC by default.
      And funny stuff
      if you want HEVC decoder support in windows browser only EDGE has it working and only when you buy HEVC in microsoft store
      I guess that's Microsoft's compromise for 10/11 being free. I suppose the 7/8 licenses can only go so far...

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post

Say thanks to stupid Fedora and Suse policies.
        AV1 together with VP9 are royalty free (in contrast to AVC=H264 and HEVC=h265), so there are no licensing issues (that was one of the main reasons why they were created).

Comment

Linux has ffmpeg library which allows some backend code(but maybe illegal in some countries)... Problem is that some monkeys on Windows has to do such things to do in their fancy looking apps that nobody wants to program such bastard assembler shit. But why such apps are selling on the market(except Blender)?

Comment

Man, even more love to 22.3. All these awesome perf tweaks coming into 22.3 over the past weeks are like BEAST_MODE_ENABLE_MESA_22.3=true. So cool to see all this great work.

Comment

Originally posted by elbar View Post
              Linux has ffmpeg library which allows some backend code(but maybe illegal in some countries)... Problem is that some monkeys on Windows has to do such things to do in their fancy looking apps that nobody wants to program such bastard assembler shit. But why such apps are selling on the market(except Blender)?
              So what was this thing recently about having to remove decoding? I thought FFMpeg was open source and thus not having restrictions put on it? It was the VA-API stuff, yes? It's not clear for me what one has to do with the other though.

Comment

Originally posted by miskol View Post

Just search for HEVC in microsoft store
                you can't play HEVC in windows without that
                And it only works when you have hw with HEVC decoder
                so no software fallback.
                Yes it all works just fine with some codec packs or VLC
                but windows don't enable HEVC by default.
                And funny stuff
                if you want HEVC decoder support in windows browser only EDGE has it working and only when you buy HEVC in microsoft store
                That H265 codec in the Microsoft Store costs only $1. I would be fine to pay $1 to get codecs in Fedora (with an easy "one click" installation). Instead, they blocked even much more common H264. And is it a problem the MS codec doesn't have a software fallback? All years old hardware contains the circuit. And if an ancient one doesn't, then you don't care about it at all - you get the same value from the software emulation bundled in each application.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

Microsoft can afford to throw 50 people at it for 8 hours a day. At the end of a week that's 2000 man hours.

Linux Mint can afford to throw 3 people at it, likely not for 8 hours a day. At best, that's 120 man hours in the week.

Now you tell me why we're at where we are at.
                  More people does help, but it doesn't always mean things will get realized faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladis View Post

That H265 codec in the Microsoft Store costs only $1. I would be fine to pay $1 to get codecs in Fedora (with an easy "one click" installation). Instead, they blocked even much more common H264. And is it a problem the MS codec doesn't have a software fallback? All years old hardware contains the citcuit. And if an ancient one doesn't, then you don't care about it at all - you get the same value from the software emulation bundled in each application.
                    Exactly! I'd gladly pay up to $20 (one-time purchase) for those codecs in openSUSE if they made them available.

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post

Say thanks to stupid Fedora and Suse policies.
                      They have to abid to the country laws and avoid potentia lawsuits from some patent trolls.

Comment

Working...
                      X