Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Extends Mesa's D3D12 Video Acceleration To Support Video Engine Based Effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Extends Mesa's D3D12 Video Acceleration To Support Video Engine Based Effects

Phoronix: Microsoft Extends Mesa's D3D12 Video Acceleration To Support Video Engine Based Effects

Since last year Microsoft has been working on Direct3D 12 video acceleration for Mesa so that Windows Subsystem for Linux can run common applications targeting the VA-API video acceleration API and ultimately enjoy GPU-based video acceleration by way of Direct3D 12. After the initial video encode/decode support for D3D12 was merged to Mesa earlier this year, the latest Microsoft contribution is now handling of video engine based effects...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this usable by anything other then the Microsoft driver?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      No I'm pretty sure this is exactly one of the nasty extensions to Microsoft tech that makes it possible to eventually extinguish. Unless Microsoft will allow dx12 drivers to be released for Linux.

Comment

Not trying to be an ass, but why would you think that updates to the Microsoft driver for WSL2 would be usable to drivers that aren't the Microsoft driver for WSL2?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Not trying to be an ass, but why would you think that updates to the Microsoft driver for WSL2 would be usable to drivers that aren't the Microsoft driver for WSL2?
          Because I *actually* looked at the patches, which updates a lot of common code

I'm not sure if the common stuff is enough to get it working for other drivers (most likely AMD) or is more work needs to be done to use the new shared infrastructure - or if that's impossible

Comment

You, rare breed of Phoronix reader who thinks (moreover reads) before you type, have won the Internet today. It's rare to see posts with more substance than the usual EEE BS most forum posts descend to when it comes to MS-related news items.

Not to be a jerk about it, but most salty comments about MS making progress with their driver stack in WSL2 stems from envy (IMHO). They're doing genuinely good stuff and make rapid progress.

BTW, not that it matters but wasn't it Intel that boasted that they could light up the DX12 code paths with their Level0 runtime? Am I mixing up things?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Why would updates that are only for WSL2 be accepted by mesa or the kernel or other open source projects that are mainly there for, well, open source operating systems, which windows is not?

Then again, microsoft barely has a reason to hoard DX anymore, with DXVK and VKD3D we can already run it at good performance most of the time anyways.

Comment

The new functions seem mundane enough: Image flipping/rotating, alpha blending, ... an ancient mips toy I have here supports almost all of these newly added capabilities in its display engine hardware, just a matter of setting the right bits. So I see no reason why this couldn't be wired up for amd/intel/qcom/... hardware. I'm sure they support this either in hardware or via shaders.
                Last edited by mlau; 22 July 2022, 08:53 AM.

Comment

I'd actually really like to see MS release the DX12 userspace for Linux. It'd be great for gaming and interoperability.

Comment

I'm not sure if the common stuff is enough to get it working for other drivers (most likely AMD) or is more work needs to be done to use the new shared infrastructure - or if that's impossible
                    Unlike yourself, I only looked at the commit logs. 1/3 of commits mention the D3D12 driver and the overall changelog only mentions being tested with/used on WSL2. Skin-deep, there's nothing about it that, to me anyways, screams "for use other drivers". While some the individual commits seem generic enough to my non-programming self, it looks like the only one using them is WSL2/D3D12.

Comment

Working...
                    X