Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Dozen" Merged Into Mesa For Implementing Vulkan On Direct3D 12

Phoronix: "Dozen" Merged Into Mesa For Implementing Vulkan On Direct3D 12

Merged a few minutes ago into Mesa 22.1 is the "Dozen" project implementing Vulkan atop Direct3D 12 APIs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wonder what the use as reference documentation is for the DXVK/VKD3D?

Comment

Why the fuck this is needed when Vulkan already works on all OSes?
      Makes no sense to me why would anyone need another abstraction layer that slowes things down and consumes extra CPU cycles, hence also more electrical power.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Windows@ARM devices only have DX12.

Comment

I recently needed a Windows VM. The whole experience was a complete disaster...
          Either the Windows experience has taken a nosedive, or I just don't remember what it was like to use an animated advertisement billboard as a UI.

I love that Microsoft has added a Linux environment to their OS. Now they just need to take down the rest of Windows around it and start working on a decent user experience.
          Or, you know... just release their own Linux distro.

Comment

Sometimes when there's a tangentially MS-related news item, I open the forums to see what people discuss. It's always a waste of time. Every, single, time.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post

Xbox devices don't have Vulkan, do they?

Also, this kinda makes MESA a truly agnostic graphics driver layer, which can be used by hardware manufacturers to jumpstart and test against known good implementations, doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                Makes no sense to me why would anyone need another abstraction layer that slowes things down and consumes extra CPU cycles, hence also more electrical power.
                Vulkan is not technically part of the Windows platform, so in order to support Vulkan in WSL, they need something that'll work on D3D12/DXGI.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post

Xbox does not support Vulkan either.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Xbox does not support Vulkan either.
                    Serious question:
                    Do you honestly think this is going to be used to provide Vulkan support on the Xbox of all of Microsoft's platforms?

For reference:
                    Nintendo's Switch actually has official Vulkan support, yet, AFAIK, not a single commercial game is making use of it.

(Probably because it has a nVidia Maxwell GPU, which is badly suited for running Vulkan loads in the first place.)

Comment

Working...
                    X