No announcement yet.

Microsoft Adds Residency Management To Mesa's D3D12 Code For Better Efficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Adds Residency Management To Mesa's D3D12 Code For Better Efficiency

Phoronix: Microsoft Adds Residency Management To Mesa's D3D12 Code For Better Efficiency

The newest code Microsoft has contributed to Mesa for its D3D12 driver, which is used for running OpenGL / OpenGL ES / OpenCL (and eventually Vulkan) over Direct3D 12 for use on Windows and WSL2, is Direct3D residency management support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OMG...this is going to be a needle in the eyes of the haters !
    Microsoft actually contributing to anything useful….NOOOO, that can't be !!!
    Surely they must have something sinister in mind, behind the scene.

Or..?!

Comment

Originally posted by mrazster View Post
      Or..?!
      It is just Microsoft committing new code to their D3D12 driver that lives in the Mesa project

Comment

I am wondering if DXVK can learn something from the implementation of the Microsoft driver? It is in reverse, so maybe that helps?

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
          I am wondering if DXVK can learn something from the implementation of the Microsoft driver? It is in reverse, so maybe that helps?
          DXVK converts directly from vulkan to DX9/10/11, this is going from dx12 to gallium. I don't think there's much common ground, especially with how much of a departure DX12 is from it's predecessors.

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
            There isn't really a lot to learn from something like this. D3D is already well documented, microsoft provides documentation on various functions that exist. which in a clean room reverse engineering project is all that you are allowed to use anyways. if only devs were allowed to use decomp as a guide, but that is a super gray area. some countries legal, others not so much.

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post

DXVK converts directly from vulkan to DX9/10/11, this is going from dx12 to gallium. I don't think there's much common ground, especially with how much of a departure DX12 is from it's predecessors.
            A small typo with it being gallium to d3d12,

Comment

Originally posted by mrazster View Post
              Or..?!
              I mean, this project shouldn't even be in Mesa, they can keep their code that isn't really useful for anyone but themselves somewhere else for all I give a fuck. This "DX12 Everywhere" is just a cheap version of Valve's open source work, and is pretty much a fucking cancer to anything graphics related becoming open. All because they don't want Direct X to lose the ability to fuck you into submission, mind you.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post

I mean, this project shouldn't even be in Mesa, they can keep their code that isn't really useful for anyone but themselves somewhere else for all I give a fuck. This "DX12 Everywhere" is just a cheap version of Valve's open source work, and is pretty much a fucking cancer to anything graphics related becoming open. All because they don't want Direct X to lose the ability to fuck you into submission, mind you.
                why shouldn't it? mesa doesn't play politics. the code is foss, and will be used actively used. end of story, if the microsoft devs want to let mesa contain and work on that code, then good.

as I have stated many times, if you use opengl on linux, congratulations, you have benefited from this. those devs also work on the state tracker too, which means the average linux user, are using something which has benefited from the work they have put in. that would not have been put in if they decided to play politics. the entire point of mesa is for everyone to come together and pool resources. and help eachother. so YES it does belong. go cry somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post

Do have to wonder who are the maintainers giving MS the permission to merge this into mainline Mesa. Unless MS decide to contribute to vkd3d, this work should be refused in Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

why shouldn't it? ... help eachother.
                    Because the end goal is to fuck Linux, OSS, and Mesa. This code does what it's supposed to, Mesa dies. Fuck them, play your hand right of your shit being better than theirs, don't make it easy for those fuckers to tear you down.

Comment

Working...
                    X