Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STiAT
    replied
    Seeing all this work I wished there was a good vulkan driver for nvidia cards.

The OGL one is in a pretty bad shape still, Vulkan does not exist at all to my knowledge.

But this way we would not need a OGL and a Vulkan driver but just a good Vulkan driver.

I have my reasons to have a NVidia card (easier to passively cool only with heatpipes), but I'd like to get rid of the proprietary driver one day.

Or have AMD actually produce cards not getting that hot :-).

Leave a comment:

• rmfx
    replied
    Great stuff !! We get closer and closer to Zink being able to replace the army of gl native drivers.
    Can’t wait to see the upcoming Copper Zink version benchmarks against RadeonSI now.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    There is also such a thing as GPU render time overhead.

Leave a comment:

• b8e5n
    replied
    That is why i am looking forward for 4k testings, as overhead should be less limiting a d revealing more about raw graphics power.

Leave a comment:

• Kemosabe
    replied
    Originally posted by microcode View Post
    The result with Xonotic is encouraging. I told y'all that there would be cases where Zink+RADV would match or exceed the performance of RadeonSI, and some said no way. With some Vulkan extensions, Zink could eventually completely replace all the target-specific GL drivers for which there exists a corresponding Vulkan driver.
    Well, xonotic in super high frames per second range that happen to maybe have a low zink cpu overhead is not really necessarily representative.
    Not saying there is no way but it's maybe too early for feeling proud of /dev/future visions.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    I see the individual OpenGL drivers being placed in a legacy path and Zink becoming the default OpenGL driver.

Once performance is comparable, the advantages far outweigh the negatives.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Originally posted by microcode View Post
    The result with Xonotic is encouraging. I told y'all that there would be cases where Zink+RADV would match or exceed the performance of RadeonSI, and some said no way.
    Yes and it wasn't even that long ago!

Leave a comment:

• user1
    replied
    Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    I'd be not so sure about "certainly", given that amdvlk basically still doesn't work at all with e.g. vkd3d-proton. They've got a bad track record of not supporting some features, extensions and not caring about bugs with API wrappers.
    AMDVLK not working with vkd3d-proton might be due to vkd3d-proton using Valve's own Vulkan extensions which were created specifically for vkd3d-proton's use case (non of which were implemented in AMDVLK). I don't think Zink uses such extensions.
    It's true that AMDVLK tends to have lots of bugs/regressions, but when it doesn't, it tends to perform pretty well. AFAIR, in the last AMDVLK test Michael did, it performed almost as good as radv in many cases, including with DXVK.
    But of course, it's up to the Zink developer to make sure it works with different drivers (I remember at first it only worked with Mesa Vulkan drivers).

Leave a comment:

• Tawheed
    replied
    Zink on windows would destroy the artificial crippled drivers for non workstation drivers.
    cheaper cad workstations could be possible

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Originally posted by user1 View Post
    Zink working on Windows will certainly make AMD Windows users happy
    I'd be not so sure about "certainly", given that amdvlk basically still doesn't work at all with e.g. vkd3d-proton. They've got a bad track record of not supporting some features, extensions and not caring about bugs with API wrappers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X