Experimental Mesa Zink Code Managing To Run Wayland's Weston Compositor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimental Mesa Zink Code Managing To Run Wayland's Weston Compositor

Phoronix: Experimental Mesa Zink Code Managing To Run Wayland's Weston Compositor

Following Mesa's Zink OpenGL-on-Vulkan translation driver finally running "glxgears" in a correct and performant manner, the newest milestone acheived by lead Zink developer Mike Blumenkrantz is managing to run Wayland's Weston compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Several weeks ago I tried out of curiosity to run KDE Plasma Wayland on Zink, now it its clear why it failed 😀

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      the newest milestone acheived by lead Zink developer
      Would this mean abolishing the need for GBM/EGLStreams too? o-o

Comment

I suppose this was the logical next step. after getting Zink working for individual applications (games) the next step is to get it to support the whole desktop environment, with all it's complexities. Then you could actually run a whole system off it, with zink making it possible on a system with only a vulkan driver available.

It's more likely than you'd think. I suspect we're only a couple of years away from new open drivers forgoing openGL to focus on vulkan support from the start. It's going to be the more useful of the two.

Comment

Working...
        X