Raspberry Pi V3DV Driver Nearing Vulkan 1.1 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

This is not having knowledge. The desktop of Linux even with a light window manager wants to sit around 5-6 G of ram usage. Have a 4G ram system os a good path to to being in out of memory stall of the Linux kernel.
    Tell that to Ubuntu and Mint that still recommend 4 gb.

But when it comes to comparing you SBC to SBC options your power consume is important. Particular if you are going to be running off battery in my portable case.
    So, you need a battery operated 8 gb SBC with an SSD attached. You understand that this looks less and less like the common use case, right?

This is to a point but is that a good idea. Think about your wire something wrong and it kills the Arduino Mega since its part of the lattepanda board you cannot replace it simply. Remember you not cheaper to have a lattepanda vs a minipc with a Arduino Mega board. In fact the lattepanda is more expensive these days.
    That has sense at the early development stage of a project. Try the wiring on a spare Arduino and then wire the production board.
    Or if you're in school and students are mistreating the boards.
    If you plan to use it for industrial products, mistakes still happen, but they are fewer.

The reality is this is false. If you are buying a lattepanda for all bar one of the features it is truly over priced. If you are buying it for compactness with those features then the extra cost can be justified. Yes compactness is the one feature.
    If size doesn't matters, maybe you don't need an SBC. Maybe you'd be better with a standard pc.

This is strictly no. Because you are long term going to regret in so many ways its not funny with the current x86 SBCs.
    About this and the remaining part of the wall. I'm sure I'll run into all sorts of issues like you say and will regret using an x86 board.
    I'll let you know when that happens...

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
      the best selling RPi4 model is the 4 gb one, which sold twice the units of the 8 gb and 2 gb models
      Does this come from recent sales or total sales? Part of the problem is that the 8 GB model was not available or known at launch (other than the manual slip-up that they played coy about). I probably would have bought three fewer 4 GB models and two more 8 GB models if they had launched at the same time. Unlike a lot of products with soldered RAM, you aren't breaking the bank to get more.

@oiaohim A recent interview implies that RPi 5 could have a RAM bump. If that's true, maybe they will offer a lineup of 2/4/12 or 4/8/12. I like the idea of just dropping 8 GB and putting a chasm between 4 GB and the high RAM model. Especially if they go with 16 GB.

Comment

Tell that to Ubuntu and Mint that still recommend 4 gb.
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...emRequirements

This is what happens when a person cannot read specification sheets. Yes it says 4 gb of memory but then it goes on to say "3D Acceleration Capable Videocard with at least 256 MB" This is important if you are using a igpu. AGPU or soc graphics like RPI4 that your gpu memory is subtracted out your main memory. So a 4gb versions does not in fact meet the the recommend system requirements.

I guess you missed that a dgpu is in the specification. RPI4 starts of with 256 megs allocated to 3d and 64 allocated to 2d. Yes you can push 2d to 256 that means you are now 512 megs of memory down so in that case 4G system is only a 3.5 so not enough ram because that is not 4G of ram. Yes the 8G of ram version of the RPI4 does meet the recommend system requirements. Yes you see the same problem with x86 SBC where they have either a intel igpu or amd apu where these parts are taking a block of memory out your many system memory for the GPU resulting in 4G versions not meeting the recommend specification.

Yes if you only have 4G of ram and you want to meet the recommend 4gb with the matching of Ubuntu and Mate recommend requirements you need dgpu as in a 3D GPU graphics card with at least 256 megs of its own memory. At 8gb of memory you can have a igpu, apu, soc graphics like the pi and in fact meet the recommend requirements.

JackLilhammers I have read those specifications once you start running a few applications you need more than the recommend requirements as well. Desktop usage with Linux for quite some time on igpu, apu and arm soc graphics the recommend requirement depend on the graphics is really more like 5gb or ram. Yes a lot of people like you by mistake have miss read the system requirements documentation.

Its about time people start saying the truth you need more than 4gb of ram in lots of cases. 5-6gb of ram when using any form of graphics that nicking a block from the main memory. Since ram sizes are normally in factors of two this means you are looking for 8gb ram systems.

So, you need a battery operated 8 gb SBC with an SSD attached. You understand that this looks less and less like the common use case, right?
        The 8gb of memory should be common case requirement for desktop usage. Particularly once you have read the specification correctly and taken note of the requirement of a dgpu. So the 4gb is 4gb of memory for the OS core not to run graphics. Yes people are common running into trouble saying they have Linux freezing up on them and their system meets the recommend requirement a simple question latter "Is that a system with 4g of ram and a igpu/apu" they says yes and I just straight respond sorry that is under the recommend requirements.

SSD attached also should not be that surprising wanted feature. Items like ubuntu recommend 25 GB of storage for the OS that not for your user files so a system with only 32Gb of storage is very light on.

JackLilhammers the reality here we have not been seeing SBC with enough ram to meet the recommend requirements until recently. Its really simple to miss the 256 megs of GPU memory required and forgot that 256 megs is not to come out of the 4Gb of memory for the OS to use with the CPU.

Remember just because something is the best selling does not mean that is what people should have bought.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post
          @oiaohim A recent interview implies that RPi 5 could have a RAM bump. If that's true, maybe they will offer a lineup of 2/4/12 or 4/8/12. I like the idea of just dropping 8 GB and putting a chasm between 4 GB and the high RAM model. Especially if they go with 16 GB.
          The reality here 6 gb or greater is what you really do need to meet the recommend specification in lots of cases for Linux desktop with any form of integrated graphics. Be it a 8 a 12 or 16gb of ram these would at least be the right amount of ram for desktop usage with rpi class of graphics as long as software does not get any more ram heavy. Of course enabling hardware video decoding would help.

Comment

oiaohm
            <sarcasm>So, you're saying that 4096 mb work just fine, but 3776 mb won't be usable...</sarcasm>

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post

Does this come from recent sales or total sales?

Comment

oiaohm
                <sarcasm>So, you're saying that 4096 mb work just fine, but 3776 mb won't be usable...</sarcasm>
                This is how small the difference is at times between the Linux kernel getting bound up in the oom killer and not getting bound up in the oom killer. Something designed for a full 4096 mb of memory not having does cause problems.

There are documented cases of people who had Linux desktop working fine at 4096mb of memory who removed their dgpu and now open bug reports about freezing with only the intel graphics set to 64megs. Yes oom killer. That number is right on the threshold. This is why I say realistically for a Linux desktop you want 5-6gb to give you self some space.

Comment

All it says is "the 4GB model accounts for approximately twice as many sales as the 8GB and 2GB SKUs".

No surprise there as the 8 GB model launched over 11 months after the 4 GB model, and as I said, I would have bought less (or no) 4 GB units if 8 GB had been available at launch.

Comment

There is a grain of salt to take here. Raspberry Pi with 4 8 gb ram has only been on the market from 28 May 2020 and Raspberry Pi 4 with 4gb was on the market in 24 June 2019. Next there has been production restrictions on the 8gb model. Hell there have been production restrictions getting a Raspberry Pi CM4 module with 4 gb of ram as well. The silicon production shortfall has adversary effected numbers.

Comment

Working...
                    X