Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 21.1 Squeezes In Improvements For Direct3D 9 (Gallium Nine)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 21.1 Squeezes In Improvements For Direct3D 9 (Gallium Nine)

Phoronix: Mesa 21.1 Squeezes In Improvements For Direct3D 9 (Gallium Nine)

The feature freeze and code branching for Mesa 21.1 is imminent but last minute feature work continues to pour in. Hitting Mesa Git this morning as the latest activity were some fixes and improvements in Gallium Nine for providing Direct3D 9 support atop Gallium3D drivers to Wine/Windows programs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

oh gallium9 is still a thing? I wonder if anything uses it?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
      People who use it with wine. It seems also to be integrated to Virtualbox according to their source code.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
        Yes, - I use it! Also in 2021 not everyone has Vulkan compliant hardware...

And the best thing is to experience again and again that some old DX9 games are running meanwhile better under Linux (through Wine) then they were running on Windows, - thanks to Gallium Nine. To be clear, I mean that especially in conjunction with older hardware like my polycarbonate iMac from 2006. However, this is most likely also true for retro-gaming (on older hardware) in general.

Whatever, the compatibility of newer Windows 10 based computers and older software is known to be bad or even non-existent.
        Last edited by lorn10; 15 April 2021, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lorn10 View Post
          However, this is most likely also true for retro-gaming (on older hardware) in general.
          This is also true with recent hardware, as AMD's D3D9 driver is terrible since Navi.

Comment

Working...
          X