Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VirtIO-GPU Vulkan Driver Looks To Go Upstream In Mesa

Phoronix: VirtIO-GPU Vulkan Driver Looks To Go Upstream In Mesa

The VirtIO-GPU Vulkan driver is looking to be upstreamed in Mesa in allowing Vulkan support for virtualized guests that in turn is handled by the host's Vulkan driver/hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think this is Google sponsored work to enable Linux Steam w/ Proton and DXVK+Vulkan to work on Chromebooks in their Linux virtual machine.

It would be cool to see Google start funding Wine development like Valve.

Comment

I know that it is early version of Linux VirtIO-GPU Vulkan Driver, but let me dream a little bit about Windows support

Windows version of VirtIO-GPU Vulkan Driver + DXVK means DirectX9/10/11 support in Windows VM without GPU passthrough!

Comment

All of this because AMD and Nvidia don't want to provide hardware virtualization. Hopefully Intel will put an end to this behaviour.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

It'd be funny if a vendor implemented virtio-gpu in hardware. :+ )

Comment

Alas in the end I cant get virtio-gpu to work at all on my machines. All I get is a black screen in the viewer... have tried both virt-manager, and qemu-gtk. Based on a ton of digging it looks like it may be an Nvidia driver issue. The VM appears to boot just fine but no display after enabling virtio-gpu with 3D acceleration. The machine is still reachable via the network. Seen a couple of bug reports about this over the last several months, and the only commonality I can see is Nvidia hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
              Alas in the end I cant get virtio-gpu to work at all on my machines. All I get is a black screen in the viewer... have tried both virt-manager, and qemu-gtk. Based on a ton of digging it looks like it may be an Nvidia driver issue. The VM appears to boot just fine but no display after enabling virtio-gpu with 3D acceleration. The machine is still reachable via the network. Seen a couple of bug reports about this over the last several months, and the only commonality I can see is Nvidia hardware.
              You can work around this by using the qemu-sdl viewer instead

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                I think this is Google sponsored work to enable Linux Steam w/ Proton and DXVK+Vulkan to work on Chromebooks in their Linux virtual machine.

It would be cool to see Google start funding Wine development like Valve.
                I can confirm this is work that is being sponsored by Google to have Steam Proton work on Chromebooks! I've been reporting on this for a while now. [1][2] There are benchmarks up that even show that this gets 86-97% the performance compared to baremetal. [3]

1. https://ekultails.github.io/ekultail...n-passthrough/
                2. https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/0...n-chromebooks/
                3. https://twitter.com/ekultails/status...94041866252288

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
                  In virt-manager, you need to choose 'direct' (not use a network port) for spice. The use of virt-viewer is a mess after that (at least in debian).
                  It does not work well (or at all) with win guests.
                  I hope they also address the virtual display overhead (looking-glass?)

Comment

This makes me happy. this will hopefully transfer to really any mesa compatible guest and host. im excited to finally have a good solution for android gaming on a desktop. and maybe even help things like anbox.

also running multiple vulkan accelerated VMs of off one gpu.

Comment

Working...
                    X