Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zink On Mesa 21.1-devel Now Achieves OpenGL 4.3 Over Vulkan

Phoronix: Zink On Mesa 21.1-devel Now Achieves OpenGL 4.3 Over Vulkan

Going back to last summer there have been patches for getting OpenGL 4.6 with the Zink GL on Vulkan implementation but were considered experimental and not for immediate upstreaming. In the months since and especially after Mike Blumenkrantz was hired by Valve, the upstreaming effort kicked into higher gear. Now with Mesa 21.1, we are up to OpenGL 4.3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, that's impressive!

Do someone knows an easy way to test Zink? I would like to add it to the systems I test for Unvanquished ( https://wiki.unvanquished.net/wiki/G...ibility_matrix ).

Comment

Ill have to check in the morning, but I have an old laptop that I believe supports the vulkan extensions necessary, but is stuck on opengl 3.2, not that i use anything to my knowledge that needs higher, but itll be pretty cool anyway
      I just need to find apps to test

Comment

Ah yes, the ol' bumperoo, I know it well.

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post
          Wow, that's impressive!

Do someone knows an easy way to test Zink? I would like to add it to the systems I test for Unvanquished ( https://wiki.unvanquished.net/wiki/G...ibility_matrix ).
          Zink is part of MESA so everything should already be in place.

Code:
          $ MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=zink glxinfo | less

[...]
          Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
          Vendor: Collabora Ltd (0x1002)
          Device: zink (AMD RADV VERDE (ACO)) (0x6821) <-----
          Version: 20.3.4
          Accelerated: yes
          Video memory: 2048MB
          Unified memory: no
          Preferred profile: core (0x1)
          Max core profile version: 3.3
          Max compat profile version: 3.0
          Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
          Max GLES[23] profile version: 2.0
          OpenGL vendor string: Collabora Ltd
          OpenGL renderer string: zink (AMD RADV VERDE (ACO)) <-----
          OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 20.3.4
          OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
          OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
          OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
          OpenGL core profile extensions:
          [...]

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            For OpenGL 4.4 there is just ARB_buffer_storag,

I am thinking... whether ARB_gl_spirv could be done by simple translation/near-passthrough...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              I am thinking... whether ARB_gl_spirv could be done by simple translation/near-passthrough...
              I am sorry that is not going to make much difference. That only helps with modern opengl applications that use spirv. Last look 99%+ of opengl applications still us glsl that require the conversions zink is doing now.

Comment

to think this get more support than any intel drivers

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

I am sorry that is not going to make much difference. That only helps with modern opengl applications that use spirv. Last look 99%+ of opengl applications still us glsl that require the conversions zink is doing now.
                  I am sorry see how you always counter every post I make? Is there any reason why?

I know nobody uses that extension (and I doubt anybody will)!

Comment

My (very limited) understanding is that OpenGL is sort of frozen now at 4.6 and that is kind of the end of it. As I think already well enough know, if Zink could hit 4.6 with acceptable performance, GPU vendors would just need to have Vulkan drivers, and OpenGL could happen via Zink. Is this close to why this would be useful?

I suppose this could loosely be like XWayland is to XOrg Server (as a whole) to Wayland. Wait, should I go grab some popcorn?

Comment

Working...
                    X