Open-Source Vivante Driver In Some Cases Outperforming Proprietary Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Vivante Driver In Some Cases Outperforming Proprietary Driver

Phoronix: Open-Source Vivante Driver In Some Cases Outperforming Proprietary Driver

One of the less talked about open-source graphics drivers talked about is Etnaviv as the reverse-engineered, community-based driver providing OpenGL/GLES support for Vivante graphics IP. While it's still working towards OpenGL ES 3.0 compliance, its performance is currently in some cases competitive -- and even outperforming -- the Vivante proprietary driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...river-Progress

I wish i.MX8 hardware was more exciting. I actually have an unused Pico-Pi iMX8M (2GB ram model), that I bought as a spare, sitting on my shelf, but its HDMI support and power management is bad enough that I actively choose to avoid the pain of using it, and have since bought 3 Rpis (all 4GB ram).

I've had good experience with i.MX6 hardware (Nitrogen6x), but the Nitrogen8M is only available with 2GB ram, and it's only a Quad A53. The Pi 4 has made a lot of boards seem obsolete.
    Last edited by andreano; 09-21-2020, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
      I wish i.MX8 hardware was more exciting. I actually have an unused Pico-Pi iMX8M (2GB ram model), that I bought as a spare, sitting on my shelf, but its HDMI support and power management is bad enough that I actively choose to avoid the pain of using it, and have since bought 3 Rpis (all 4GB ram).
      Power management and HDMI with iMX8M on mainline kernel is getting better as we speak. I see that myself from the perspective of Librem 5 and it has seen really significant improvements in those areas this year. Purism's kernel fork has shrunk a lot in 5.7-5.9 cycles.

Comment

That's why I love free & open source software!
        Last edited by piorunz; 09-22-2020, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X