Clear All

• jrdoane
    replied
    Did somebody say... Valium?

Leave a comment:

• lyamc
    replied
    Originally posted by orome View Post
    Interesting how many people know how to copy-paste from wikipedia, and no one knows how to use it.
    The page on date drugs explicitly lists Valium (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_rape_drug),
    so if you don't know, now you know.
    Great, I can add that to the list of things I need to know in life, like how to murder my wife and get away with it, or how to remove my testicles.

You don't get it. We don't care if it's used as a date rape drug. I guess the drug shouldn't be banned but the name should be changed right? Or how about ban the drug and screw the people that need to use it right? I bet some terrorists exclusively use Linux. Oh man, better rename Linux!

Leave a comment:

• L_A_G
    replied
    Nothing says 'welcoming environment' better than naming a component after a rape drug...
    I had to take a double take because I initially thought you were mocking people who take issue with things like branches named "master" trough satire, but now it really does look like being wary of project names and technical terms potentially offending people has officially fully gone the way of Poe's Law. Let's hope this is the end of the beginning of this nonsense and we can start showing people like you the door en-masse in the very near future.

I've never even heard of Valium being used as a date rape drug and instead what's associated with date rape is Rohypnol or "roofies". This fact clearly demonstrates that you didn't just see something to be offended by, you went actively looking for the most awful thing you could find attached to this name. However the main misuse this drug has (suicide), which still has very legitimate uses, wasn't enough for you so you instead went and found an obscure one. This use however being practically synonymous with an entirely different drug with a very different name.

Leave a comment:

• orome
    replied
    Interesting how many people know how to copy-paste from wikipedia, and no one knows how to use it.
    The page on date drugs explicitly lists Valium (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_rape_drug),
    so if you don't know, now you know.

Leave a comment:

• soulsource
    replied
    To do something completely unexpected, I've got an on-topic question:
    What stops this implementation from working with hardware-accelerated Gallium drivers?

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Nothing says 'welcoming environment' better than naming a component after a rape drug...
    first, there's no drug named vallium. second, you should educate yourself before posting your dreams

Diazepam, first marketed as Valium, is a medicine of the benzodiazepine family that typically produces a calming effect.[9] It is commonly used to treat a range of conditions, including anxiety, seizures, alcohol withdrawal syndrome, benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome, muscle spasms, trouble sleeping, and restless legs syndrome

Leave a comment:

• marlock
    replied
    actually I don't, and maybe you're right that this was not the full story of "black" and "white" for lists and otherwise... that's already a much more informed discussion than the one about vallium, thank you! (citation needed, if we are to go that way, but really much better)

yet it's undeniable that the "white-positive and "black-negative" pair has been extensively used in racist contexts and this historically charged connotation is still strong enough to entertain avoiding it where possible

edit: judging by the wikipedia article "blacklist" has been guilty of participating in not one but several horrible historical contexts... so yeah, there's that too... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blacklisting

plus, there is a small pro in the particular change since the most common alternatives "allowlist" and "denylist" convey explicit meaning about how the thing will work

and finally, all of the posts in this thread now are living proof of how much the original post has done to turn the conversation completely off-topic to something completely fruitless in regard to the post itself

can we start talking about VALLIUM now?
    Last edited by marlock; 17 August 2020, 06:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    [STRIKE]It shares a name with medication used as data rape drug.
    I have never heard Valium associated with date rape, only Rohypnol or GHB. So I don't think that's a common connotation at all.

Leave a comment:

• illwieckz
    replied
    Originally posted by marlock View Post
    eg. removing stuff with well-known racist backstory like "whitelist" and "blacklist" where their meaning was *defined* by racists and only later used in non-racist contexts
    Do you have serious proof of that? I don't know for “blacklist” but I know for “blackball”: monks have a very old tradition to vote for the new father abbot with colored balls. For a monk proposed to become the father abbot, other monks would put balls in a container, white ball would count as a vote for, black ball would count as a vote against. Because in some case once black ball may be enough to say no whatever the amount of white balls (effectively a veto), comes the verb “to blackball someone” (in French: “blackbouler”). I guess that usage had spread among other brotherhoods.

I would be very surprised if such usage has not extended to other words (like blacklist). For blackballs there is nothing related to skin colors, I would be surprised if there would never be any blacklist wording before any racist started to use it, think about it: paper is white, ink is black, a check list is a black list. To me the big problem is the lack of knowledge. For medieval monks (those who were likely to use black balls), the word slavery meant white people enslaved by arab armies from north african arab colonies. There was words before US black slavery was a thing, there was history before USA was a thing, there was english language before USA was a thing. The fact some people want to erase history because it would tell something bad just make sure future people do things without knowledge and without having learned the lessons from the past.

In 19th ”Littré” french dictionary, a “list” (“liste” in french) is a white band located at the front of the horse's head, occupying the forehead and muzzle, then this dictionary says that by derivation of the primitive sense of small white band on horse's head, the name also design a list of people or things. In norvegian, a ”list” is a long narrow subject that forms an edge, especially as a transition between different elements, so we get another compatible meaning for the white band on the horse's head, without any racist, even human meaning. So, the “list” as a “list of thing” is related to a roll of paper used to list thing, like a white band… like the thing on the horse's head…

The european white list on the horse head… The european black ball to say no. Are you sure all of this was defined by US racists? Of course, once history is rewritten, no one would be able to check for truth and only option would be to believe deletionist (negationist?) propaganda.
    Last edited by illwieckz; 17 August 2020, 05:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lyamc
    replied
    [STRIKE]Nothing says 'welcoming environment' better than naming a component after a rape drug... [/STRIKE]

It shares a name with medication used as data rape drug
    Do you go onto forums about Canadian Pacific and tell people that the acronym CP stands for something else? What the heck are you doing?

Also, Valium the brand name for a drug which is a benzodiazepine.

Originally posted by Wikipedia
    Diazepam, first marketed as Valium, is a medicine of the benzodiazepine
    I think if I ever work in some Resident Evil style biolab, I'll make sure I name my virus, "Orome".
    Last edited by lyamc; 17 August 2020, 04:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X