Mesa "Vallium" - Software/CPU-Based Vulkan Based On LLVMpipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

Sure, it only sounds like a muscle relaxant.
    You mean Valium aka Diazepam

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      If Kazan devs didn't decide to throw their work away to rewrite it in Rust, it could have been integrated into Mesa instead.

But because they did, this has to happen...
      That's not biased at all xD

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
        Why do those renderers' names have to sound like psychiatric drugs?
        looking at your nick, maybe you could use some Vallium

Comment

Originally posted by lowlands View Post

looking at your nick, maybe you could use some Vallium
          Being rendered at 5 FPS doesn't appeal to me.

Comment

Next release should be Mesa "Lithium Bromide"

Comment

Originally posted by ptrwis View Post
              This is cool. Maybe too slow for games, but fast enough to run Vulkan-powered Wayland compositor.
              Exactly my thoughts - maybe this would mitigate the "Vulkan is not adopted widely enough to replace the existing stack" argument

Comment

Originally posted by ServerGarbage View Post
                Next release should be Mesa "Lithium Bromide"
                "Thalidomide" would also work.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

"Thalidomide" would also work.
                  Thalidomide is actually a fascinating chemical in its own right because of why it causes birth defects.

If you've ever played Mass Effect, you've heard of chirality (ie. levo and dextro) but what they don't tell you is that our environment is full of enantiomers (the jargon for molecules that are mirror images of each other).

For example, the levo version of carvone gives us the smell and taste of spearmint, while the dextro version is what gives the distinctive smell and taste of caraway seeds.

Thalidomide is fascinating because one form of it is effective against morning sickness, but the other form causes birth defects... and it's unavoidably racemic (the jargon for when you have equal parts of both versions). If you purify thalidomide and put just one kind into the human body, the chemical environment of the human body will allow it to recombine back into equal parts of both.

Comment

Michael I used too many Wikipedia links in my post again.

(It's too bad you don't have time to hack on the spam detector. Exempting sites like Wikipedia which do sufficient moderation of their own from the "is this spam?" calculations would probably be a good idea.)

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
                      Exactly my thoughts - maybe this would mitigate the "Vulkan is not adopted widely enough to replace the existing stack" argument
                      Why would you want a slow software rendered Vulkan for the compositor rather than fast hardware accelerated OpenGL?

Or are you saying that because *you* have the hardware accelerated Vulkan everyone else can go to hell and put up with software rendering? Just so long as "Vulkan is being used!".

Sounds like not a solution to me. However I am sure Gnome will adopt it tomorrow and be even slower for non-gamers!

Comment

Working...
                      X