Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 20.1 Sees Big Optimizations To Its Soft FP64 Implementation

Phoronix: Mesa 20.1 Sees Big Optimizations To Its Soft FP64 Implementation

For the past year Mesa has offered a "soft" implementation of FP64 capabilities for GPUs lacking FP64 hardware capabilities in order to support ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 as required by OpenGL 4.0. Optimizations were merged today to significantly enhance the "soft FP64" capabilities of Mesa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will there be benchmark of this?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      Will there be benchmark of this?
      Is there any real application that use it to benchmark?

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
        Is there any real application that use it to benchmark?
        As well as any practical hardware in 2020 relying on it.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Loosely connecting to the topic, but I have a TeraScale3 (r600g) card which has FP64 hardware support (so don't need this software emulation) and thus practically supports OpenGL up to 4.5. With Mesa 20.0.1 the glxinfo only shows 4.3 (core) support in the case of this card and I also have GCN1 and GCN5 cards with OpenGL 4.6 capability and they only expose 4.5 support. Which is interesting, because the MesaMatrix is clearly showing OGL 4.5 and 4.6 support in the two cases. Do you have any idea what can be the problem? The distro is Arch Linux.

To the topic: I think when this software FP64 support implemented the older TeraScale1/2 GPUs also could in theory support OGL 4.5. For older games running under Wine this can be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by G-P-L View Post
            Loosely connecting to the topic, but I have a TeraScale3 (r600g) card which has FP64 hardware support (so don't need this software emulation) and thus practically supports OpenGL up to 4.5. With Mesa 20.0.1 the glxinfo only shows 4.3 (core) support in the case of this card and I also have GCN1 and GCN5 cards with OpenGL 4.6 capability and they only expose 4.5 support. Which is interesting, because the MesaMatrix is clearly showing OGL 4.5 and 4.6 support in the two cases. Do you have any idea what can be the problem? The distro is Arch Linux.

To the topic: I think when this software FP64 support implemented the older TeraScale1/2 GPUs also could in theory support OGL 4.5. For older games running under Wine this can be useful.
            For the r600 card, I believe the driver is artificially limited to 4.3 because Khronos added validation/testing requirements for being able to support GL 4.4 and above.

By the time such support was added to the driver, AMD wasn't interested in getting it officially validated, and seemed to want to avoid claiming it was compatible without the tests.

However, the driver does support all the necessary functionality, so all you have to do is force the correct GL version via an environment variable and it should work.

For the GCN cards, is Mesa built with the NIR backend enabled by default? If it's using TGSI, that will limit it to 4.5. There should be another environment variable to force that, so you could see if that enables 4.6 for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

As well as any practical hardware in 2020 relying on it.
              Well I still have this old tablet PC with an AMD C-60 APU. Soft64FP implementation is relevant for that GPU. So yeah, I'm interested

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

For the r600 card, I believe the driver is artificially limited to 4.3 because Khronos added validation/testing requirements for being able to support GL 4.4 and above.

By the time such support was added to the driver, AMD wasn't interested in getting it officially validated, and seemed to want to avoid claiming it was compatible without the tests.

However, the driver does support all the necessary functionality, so all you have to do is force the correct GL version via an environment variable and it should work.

For the GCN cards, is Mesa built with the NIR backend enabled by default? If it's using TGSI, that will limit it to 4.5. There should be another environment variable to force that, so you could see if that enables 4.6 for you.
                Thanks for your answer! You are right, I checked the supported OGL extensions which are needed to support a given OGL level and in both case (r600 and radeonsi) the extensions are there for 4.5/4.6, only the driver is not reporting the maximum supported level.

Comment

Originally posted by G-P-L View Post

I don't have my NI hardware (hardware FP64) any more but as i can remember it Supported OpenGL4.5 when i checked glxinfo.
                  I now use RavenRidge and it shows as OpenGL 4.6
                  The softFP64 is already included as far as i understand so i don't think it will change anything like that.
                  Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Well I still have this old tablet PC with an AMD C-60 APU. Soft64FP implementation is relevant for that GPU. So yeah, I'm interested
                  You might need it for OpenGL 4.5 support but i don't think you will ever use it.
                  What application use FP64?

Comment

Working...
                  X