Zink Is Almost In Mesa For Offering OpenGL 2.1 / GLES 2.0 Over Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lumks View Post
    I see the real benefit in the distant future, where you dont need to write any kind of OpenGL driver for your new architecture, but only a Vulkan one and get OpenGL/+ES for free. Right now zink is more of a "who cares?" thing.
    I would say "who cares". I really see a lot of benefits in this OpenGL to Vulkan conversion. It will reduce the maintenance burden for several not really well developed OpenGL drivers if there is a generic replacement based on Vulkan. New GPU's (like on ARM) will not need anymore an suboptimal OpenGL/GL ES implementation, they can just focus on a single Vulkan driver. This will help to reduce bugs and development effort quite a lot. Even as a radeonsi user I'm quite eager to try this... if the performance is not to bad I will happily use Zink on top of RADV :-)

Comment

Are there any benchmarks? I am curious about the cost of GL to VK translation.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
        Are there any benchmarks? I am curious about the cost of GL to VK translation.
        It was supposedly running around 50% speed about a year ago, before any major optimizations had been added. I know they've changed how it's designed since then, and haven't heard anything about performance since. My guess is that ultimately they can probably come up with something reasonably high performance after they put a lot of effort into it, but it's probably not anywhere near ready for that yet.

Comment

Working...
        X