Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Lands Greater Direct State Access Support Within Mesa

Phoronix: AMD Lands Greater Direct State Access Support Within Mesa

Landing this week in Mesa 19.3-devel were more functions being implemented around the big OpenGL EXT_direct_state_access extension...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Even though I have installed mesa-filesystem-19.3.0-0.1.20191020.7ceafa4.fc31.x86_64, so the commit sha should include the DSA work,

When I start steam from terminal (so I would get all the events printed), then start CS:GO, I get
    Code:
    This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_EXT_direct_state_access.
    This system DOES NOT support the OpenGL extension GL_NV_bindless_texture.
    Code:
    [mike@envy ~]$ glxinfo | grep bindless_texture
        GL_ARB_bindless_texture, GL_ARB_blend_func_extended,  
        GL_ARB_arrays_of_arrays, GL_ARB_base_instance, GL_ARB_bindless_texture,  
    [mike@envy ~]$ glxinfo | grep direct_state_access
        GL_ARB_depth_clamp, GL_ARB_derivative_control, GL_ARB_direct_state_access,  
        GL_ARB_direct_state_access, GL_ARB_draw_buffers,
    It would be nice if GL_EXT_ would also be exposed together with GL_ARB_, because it seems that some games are expecting to use the GL_EXT_ variants. I understand that GL_NV_bindless_texture is the vendor extension, but if the differences are not that big between the ARB variant, then perhaps it would be beneficial to also expose it.. since older games won't be rewritten to use the ARB ones.

tarceri ?
    Last edited by xxmitsu; 20 October 2019, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
      Even though I have installed mesa-filesystem-19.3.0-0.1.20191020.7ceafa4.fc31.x86_64, so the commit sha should include the DSA work,

When I start steam from terminal (so I would get all the events printed), then start CS:GO, I get
      Code:
      Code:
      [mike@envy ~]$ glxinfo | grep bindless_texture
      GL_ARB_bindless_texture, GL_ARB_blend_func_extended,
      GL_ARB_arrays_of_arrays, GL_ARB_base_instance, GL_ARB_bindless_texture,
      [mike@envy ~]$ glxinfo | grep direct_state_access
      GL_ARB_depth_clamp, GL_ARB_derivative_control, GL_ARB_direct_state_access,
      GL_ARB_direct_state_access, GL_ARB_draw_buffers,
      It would be nice if GL_EXT_ would also be exposed together with GL_ARB_, because it seems that some games are expecting to use the GL_EXT_ variants. I understand that GL_NV_bindless_texture is the vendor extension, but if the differences are not that big between the ARB variant, then perhaps it would be beneficial to also expose it.. since older games won't be rewritten to use the ARB ones.

tarceri ?
      @pierre-eric (AMD) or
      mareko

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post

Code:
        It would be nice if GL_EXT_ would also be exposed together with GL_ARB_, because it seems that some games are expecting to use the GL_EXT_ variants.
        That's the plan, at least with DSA.

They've been working on adding all the DSA functions for months, and there's still one more set to go before it's complete. (The VertexArray* functions). They don't want to expose the extension until it's 100% done to avoid claiming something is working when parts of it will fail, though you could try manually overriding it to see if your apps in particular will work in the current state.

Comment

Working...
        X