Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collabora's Erik Faye-Lund Outlines The New "Zink" OpenGL-on-Vulkan Gallium3D Effort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collabora's Erik Faye-Lund Outlines The New "Zink" OpenGL-on-Vulkan Gallium3D Effort

Phoronix: Collabora's Erik Faye-Lund Outlines The New "Zink" OpenGL-on-Vulkan Gallium3D Effort

Not to be confused with the also new Zinc crypto code working its way to the mainline kernel as part of WireGuard, Zink is a new effort led by a developer at Collabora for implementing OpenGL on top of Vulkan drivers via Gallium3D...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Transform feedback should be available in Vulkan in a few weeks.

Comment

Is this Linux only or cross platform?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Transform feedback should be available in Vulkan in a few weeks.
        What's that? What do you mean? Would you like to explain what you mean? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

What's that? What do you mean? Would you like to explain what you mean? Thanks in advance.
          Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

See here (comments by @pdaniell-nv from Khronos):

Some members of the Vulkan working group are developing a multi-vendor EXT extension for transform feedback with the primary goal of satisfying the needs of the DXVK, vkd3d and ANGLE translation layers. The Vulkan working group does not plan to promote this functionality as a KHR extension or as core functionality because it believes there are better, more forward-looking ways of processing and capturing vertex data with the GPU. The multi-vendor EXT extension should be available soon and is likely to be implemented on those platforms where DXVK, vkd3d and ANGLE translation is required.
            We’re aiming for weeks not months. There has been a lot of progress since my last comment.
            This should be useful for OpenGL to Vulkan translation projects.

Comment

Hmm. OpenGL on Vulkan on MoltenVK on Metal? An awful lot of adapters, but...if Apple drops OpenGL support...might be an interesting option...and also kind of a terrible monster... :)
              Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
              Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                Is this Linux only or cross platform?
                my guess is this is gallium+vulkan only

Comment

Michael make sure to stayed tune for when I announce my new project, VKVK, where I implement a vulkan backend using vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
                    Hmm. OpenGL on Vulkan on MoltenVK on Metal? An awful lot of adapters, but...if Apple drops OpenGL support...might be an interesting option...and also kind of a terrible monster... :)
                    I wonder if translating directly to Vulkan instead using Gallium3D/NIR would improve performance too.

In this case, chained translation to/from different APIs such as Metal would be possible

Comment

Working...
                    X