No announcement yet.

Nouveau Gets Thermal Throttling, One Step Closer For GTX 900 Re-Clocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if some day Nouveau devs will implement vesa adaptive sync (aka FreeSync) :-D

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
      Wouldn't be faster try to break this signature thing instead of waiting nvidia? It took a year or 2 to they release part of the firmware
      Umm, no. Crypto signatures can't be broken. What they can do is trying to fuck with the GPU's BIOS hoping to find vulnerabilities to inject their stuff.

That's certainly possible, but best done if you are in Russia or China or other places where NVIDIA's lawsuits can't come and get you.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        I've always gotten the impression cryptography is more an art than a science. A gut feeling can get you a lot further than mathematical analysis. Which is why most people suck at it. It takes a certain kind of inborn skills for a person to be really good at it, in that way it's more like a sport, and nVidia's team is way better paid.
        Uhm, no. They don't follow gut feelings, they are just very good at math, while most people is not.
        The fact that you need some prerequisite skills does not make it an art. You can't be a scientist if you are dumb, and science isn't an art.

And in this case NVIDIA team is irrelevant. Cryptographic signatures are used by everyone already (every package in serious distros is signed to avoid tampering, or you can sign your emails to show that it comes from you), they weren't invented by NVIDIA.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Uhm, no. They don't follow gut feelings, they are just very good at math, while most people is not.
          The fact that you need some prerequisite skills does not make it an art. You can't be a scientist if you are dumb, and science isn't an art.
          the proper term is intuition. Sometimes educated guesses are all there is to it. Well you still need the skills to follow those ideas to really figure something out, but sometimes you figure things out by having just the right thought in the right moment, not by deducing it.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
            the proper term is intuition. Sometimes educated guesses are all there is to it. Well you still need the skills to follow those ideas to really figure something out, but sometimes you figure things out by having just the right thought in the right moment, not by deducing it.
            Intuition comes from skill and experience, it is some kind of "hardware acceleration" where the brain does some simulations on its own without you directly thinking about it, and gives you only the results of that. It ain't magic, there is no shared consciousness or whatever other hippie concept.

I can't use my superior IT "intuition" outside of the IT field, for example.

Comment

Any news on the fan control/thermal info for Maxwell though? ASUS Strix cards should have 0 RPM in card's lowest power state, but its either fan always on or off, depends in which state fan was during boot afaik.

Comment

As mush as I like Nvidia, I have to say, I still cannot fathom why they're holding these insignificant bits locked up.
                It gives them exactly zero competitive advantage, but it could gain them some goodwill within the open source community. I was about to write "a lot of goodwill", but then I thought, they already lost some when they locked up their stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  I was about to write "a lot of goodwill", but then I thought, they already lost some when they locked up their stuff.
                  They would gain a lot of goodwill, I'll tell you. With those blobs released timely, noveau will pwn their blob within years. And that's as opensource as most reasonable people will want to go. Only FSF zealots moan about firmwares loaded at runtime.

The same goes for any kind of documentation useful for driver development, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Intuition comes from skill and experience, it is some kind of "hardware acceleration" where the brain does some simulations on its own without you directly thinking about it, and gives you only the results of that. It ain't magic, there is no shared consciousness or whatever other hippie concept.

I can't use my superior IT "intuition" outside of the IT field, for example.
                    This post summarizes you very concisely. You are a very "by-the-book" kind of person. You claim intuition comes strictly from skill and experience, and as a result, your personal IT skill can only be used for IT situations. And that couldn't be more wrong. The only reason that would be true is if you strictly only follow instructions and never dare vary from them*. In order to fix something without a definite solution, you have to be creative. This doesn't have to be limited to your field. I've managed to fix things related to my car having no formal training in anything automotive and without having to research how to properly fix it. So explain to me - if one's IT intuition can't be used outside of the IT field, how did I fix something using that very intuition?

* Hackers are those who defy rules and instructions; this is why they're often considered criminals in the first place. They don't always figure out how to decrypt something because they're good at math; some of them aren't that exceptional at math. They must know more if they want to succeed, and unless they're trained by the CIA, they're usually not taught how to do what they do. Not all of them just use brute force decryption, because that is very inefficient. You can't always use pure math to get the results you want. That's why for a lot of hardware with some form of encryption, people start resorting to soldering microcontrollers, emulation, and/or code injection. There could be nothing mathematical about tricking a piece of restricted hardware from "letting its walls down".

Some people just have a knack for things. Some people can master something within days that may have taken someone else years of learning or training.
                    Last edited by schmidtbag; 22 July 2017, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      This post summarizes you very concisely. You are a very "by-the-book" kind of person.
                      And this statement shows how you keep failing to understand people.

I've just seen what true complex shit is. I've seen things... lol.

Even a trained monkey can maintain a car or assemble a PC, as it is simple stuff. That's stuff designed from the ground up to be maintainable by humans with limited info available.

Now try go fixing a crypto algorithm, find what is wrong in an electronic board design, or find out why some car needs two or even three key turns to start up (and it's not because of battery or ignition issues, real life stuff, I have one, I'm not stupid) and tell me if your "intuition" helps.

how did I fix something using that very intuition?
                      You used basic reasoning without knowing it, probably. If you don't know how the engine works in a very basic way and that cables carry electricity and all basic stuff most modern day people know already, you would not be able to do anything.

I repeat, try to go fix something you don't have enough understanding of. That's where reasoning can't help for sure, and tell me if your "intuition" comes to the rescue.

* Hackers are those who defy rules and instructions;
                      Huh? I thought they were just very good and focused programmers. You want to see a guy that created multiple 0-day exploits for EFI firmware at work? Like for example "thinkpwn"? have a look here and tell me how much intuition is being used. http://blog.cr4.sh/2016/06/exploring...ng-lenovo.html

You can't always use pure math to get the results you want.
                      I was talking of those that made the signing algorithms, that appear to be as good to be basically impregnable, and the only way to attack them is to attack the programs or the hardware implementing them instead.

So yeah, those people in the crypto field were very fucking good at math.

Some people just have a knack for things. Some people can master something within days that may have taken someone else years of learning or training.
                      Never seen people like this on really complex stuff. Sure there are people that have more innate skill in some areas, but without training and experience they don't go beyond the "handyman" level.

Which sure looks like a genius for commoners, but any actual expert will pwn him.

Comment

Working...
                      X