No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Posts Initial Signed PMU Firmware Support Patches - Currently For GM20B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Posts Initial Signed PMU Firmware Support Patches - Currently For GM20B

Phoronix: NVIDIA Posts Initial Signed PMU Firmware Support Patches - Currently For GM20B

NVIDIA developer Alexandre Courbot has sent out his latest version of Nouveau DRM patches to carry out Secure Boot refactoring of the code for dealing with NVIDIA's signed firmware requirements for Maxwell GPUs and newer. But these latest patches come with a bit of a twist...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The sheer number of comments on this news shows how much people care

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      The sheer number of anti-Nvidia comments I've made lately shows how annoying I am.
      Fixed for you.

Comment

Oh, and I know I shouldn't feed your trolling, but the number of comments is not an indicator of how many/much people care. I personally am looking forward to the Maxwell firmware. It's only been a few hours on a weekday and the news is not too noteworthy unless you're a Tegra owner who wants to run nouveau. The fact that you're trying to paint a picture of total Phoronix apathy towards Nvidia-related news because of limited comments on this article shows how blind you are.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Oh, and I know I shouldn't feed your trolling, but the number of comments is not an indicator of how many/much people care. I personally am looking forward to the Maxwell firmware. It's only been a few hours on a weekday and the news is not too noteworthy unless you're a Tegra owner who wants to run nouveau. The fact that you're trying to paint a picture of total Phoronix apathy towards Nvidia-related news because of limited comments on this article shows how blind you are.
          With how little Nvidia seems to care about its open source drivers, there is little wonder why there is so much apathy from the community.

Comment

There is a valid argument that release of code and any necessary firmware for power management should be compulsory on all vendors for environmental reasons, though I suppose having cards default to lowest clocks (as Nvidia does) could be claimed as an excuse not to on grounds of controlling power use by other means. The older AMD cards defaulted to fullspeed until the power management code was released. Now they have full power management support on open drivers but back in 2011 they ran full speed full time unless users figured out how to use the older PM code to manually turn them down.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
              With how little Nvidia seems to care about its open source drivers, there is little wonder why there is so much apathy from the community.
              Nvidia's policy has been clear/consistent ever since the death of the obfuscated "nv" driver. They will neither help nor hinder the nouveau development effort. Not releasing the firmware in a timely manner is definitely a hindrance though, and it wasn't exactly clear what was holding up the release. This news is a good sign of progress for folks interested in running nouveau.

My point to bug77 is that if there's apathy, let there be apathy (and silence). There's no need to shit up the forums with a bunch of anti-nvidia trolling.

Comment

People on NVIDIA use the blob, they are fine and happy already.

And you should know as you are a NVIDIA user, aren't you fine and happy with your blob? Why you even care about open NVIDIA drivers when NVIDIA is doing a so great job with the blob?

/pulling your leg a bit, don't take it too seriously, even though I kinda mean what I say.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  Fixed for you.
                  bug77 is squarely in the NVIDIA camp, he is usually supportive towards NVIDIA.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    bug77 is squarely in the NVIDIA camp, he is usually supportive towards NVIDIA.
                    Oh, ironic trolling is so much better *roll eyes*...

Comment

Working...
                    X