Nouveau Developers Remain Frustrated By NVIDIA's Firmware Practices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juno View Post
    2) you know that only free drivers do possibly work out of the box w/ gnu/linux
    Fortunately that's not the case with Android/Linux.

Comment

Looking for a backdoor may yield results sooner than talking to nvidia.

Comment

And the advice on "the advanced best'n'cool EGLStreams" from peoples who for years can't even get in shape a simple firmware for their card is kinda… doubtful.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

The problem is not only people do NOT care about open-source drivers, they don't even (want to) know what a driver is. Have you seen a single Mac user asking this question? No, they just buy a box and go about their business.
          I would love to see every driver under the Sun being open sourced (I'm a programmer, I love it when source code is available and I hate it I don't have more time to upstream patches), but in a world where people don't even know what the URL bar is for in a browser (have you ever counted how many people go to site by entering the URL in their homepage which is usually google.com?), you're never getting significant support for that push.
          Well it depends on who. Yes mac users don't but mac users have really bad video cards (I'm counting mostly laptop users). They're not gamers.

For gamers on windows they KNOW what a driver is and they keep their drivers up to date. They don't know much about the tech side of things but at least have an understanding of what it does and that they get this nice 20% boost in speed sometimes by just updating.

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post
            so all in all we can still say that linus is right regarding nvidia...
            I think many of us were aware that he was correct, though some of us including myself do wish he'd be a little less aggressive sometimes, as people might be willing to work with him/Linux devs more... But then again, he's been dealing with these issues for years and years, and I'm sure it's a LOT more frustrating for him than it is for most of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post

I think many of us were aware that he was correct, though some of us including myself do wish he'd be a little less aggressive sometimes, as people might be willing to work with him/Linux devs more... But then again, he's been dealing with these issues for years and years, and I'm sure it's a LOT more frustrating for him than it is for most of us.
              Well, don't call me an expert in Linus' behaviour, but most of the times i've heard of him beeing (that) aggressive, he had good reason to be pissed. You could be correct though, if seen from a marketing/PR point of view.
              Dunno if this really has a huge impact on people willing to cooperate/participate in Linux though - most people that don't contribute to the kernel won't come in contact with Linus...and to get his wrath otherwise you have to 1. have a big enough impact to be noticed and 2. screw up big time (at least in his eyes) ^^

Comment

Reing of Nouveau Figureouters - that even sounds like a fun game

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post

I dunno, I like his behavior. I mean, he is smart and experienced on one side, and being sarcastic and humorous on the other side. Just look at this picture!

I think this is better than if Linus was silent, and to the question "Who is Linus" the answer was "err, some guy that invented the kernel, and perhaps reviewing a code somewhere".

Comment

Damn. Can't edit the post, but it's a wrong picture, someone edited it. This is the right one

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      The problem is not only people do NOT care about open-source drivers, they don't even (want to) know what a driver is. Have you seen a single Mac user asking this question? No, they just buy a box and go about their business.
                      you're never getting significant support for that push.
                      He is not talking of opensource on Mac or on Windows or on Android, but on Linux Desktop.

You know, the OS that isn't usually pre-installed, the OS that in many cases requires a power user to be set up properly or to troubleshoot any issue arising due to hardware support.

Here the amount of people that care about open is much much higher than average.

Comment

Working...
                      X