Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Initial Open-Source GeForce GTX 1000 "Pascal" Nouveau Driver Support

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Initial Open-Source GeForce GTX 1000 "Pascal" Nouveau Driver Support

    Phoronix: Initial Open-Source GeForce GTX 1000 "Pascal" Nouveau Driver Support

    While there isn't yet any 3D/hardware acceleration support, the first milestone of open-source bring-up for the latest-generation NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1000 "Pascal" graphics processors is now available for Nouveau...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Nouveau-Pascal

  • #2
    My apologies. I'm probably misunderstanding what this and the other article said, but will I have to do anything weird to get the card installed and running (on Ubuntu 16 for example)? I don't mind proprietary drivers. I'd just like to drop it in, click a few buttons, and be able to continue using my PC.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by PoVRAZOR View Post
      My apologies. I'm probably misunderstanding what this and the other article said, but will I have to do anything weird to get the card installed and running (on Ubuntu 16 for example)? I don't mind proprietary drivers. I'd just like to drop it in, click a few buttons, and be able to continue using my PC.
      Assuming the proprietary graphics driver currently supports that GPU, all you have to do is add the graphics PPA and install the driver and reboot. Here's a one-liner that should take care of that on a clean install:

      Code:
      sudo add-apt-repository 'ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa' -y && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install 'nvidia-367' -y && sync && reboot

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by PoVRAZOR View Post
        My apologies. I'm probably misunderstanding what this and the other article said, but will I have to do anything weird to get the card installed and running (on Ubuntu 16 for example)? I don't mind proprietary drivers. I'd just like to drop it in, click a few buttons, and be able to continue using my PC.
        With kernel 4.8 or higher your card will be detected, X (or your favorite Wayland composer for that instance) will be able to set any video mode supported by your monitor, and you will be able to use an (unaccelerated for now) desktop. There should even be no need to click a few buttons.

        Edit: then as said above, you can download & install the proprietary driver if you wish, following the standard procedure of your distribution.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

          Assuming the proprietary graphics driver currently supports that GPU, all you have to do is add the graphics PPA and install the driver and reboot. Here's a one-liner that should take care of that on a clean install:

          Code:
          sudo add-apt-repository 'ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa' -y && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install 'nvidia-367' -y && sync && reboot
          You can even skip this step and go directly to Ubuntu's driver manager. You won't get the absolute latest video driver, but it's safer if you're not comfortable fiddling with PPAs.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bug77 View Post

            You can even skip this step and go directly to Ubuntu's driver manager. You won't get the absolute latest video driver, but it's safer if you're not comfortable fiddling with PPAs.
            One of the reason why i'm now using arch
            Can't stand anymore these "distro" that provide only old libs/driver

            Comment


            • #7
              Still Fuck you Nvidia

              Comment


              • #8
                And that's why I don't buy NVIDIA cards anymore, and why I ordered an RX 480. They have the right to not release firmware files and help open-source developers, and I've got the right to not buy their products

                Good job to Ben though!

                Comment


                • #9
                  You know what? Fuck you nVidia! You can keep your shit. I used to have an 980 Ti. I'm going for AMD now.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I guess I'll break down and get one of these Pascal cards just to support nvidia for supporting Linux so well.

                    Should I go 1060 or 1070? Or maybe wait for the Titan P?

                    Maybe I'll get two cards.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X