No announcement yet.

Nouveau With Boost Patches Are Now Competitive To Radeon/AMDGPU With RadeonSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, whether AMD throws its weight behind open source or Nvidia releases some standard docs, we still end up in the same place.
    Of course, proper reclocking is not mainlined yet, but hey, it's getting there.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

Yeah right, but to stay a benchmark is garbage (and that's what he tries to pull), just because high resolutions were used, which are actually used, then he clearly just wants to try to find _any_ reasons why this benchmark is stupid and doesn't fit in his view of the world (most likely)
      Where did I use the word "garbage", or even imply that the benchmark was useless? All I was saying was to take the results with a pinch of salt. Just because the FPS counts are close doesn't mean that the drivers perform at a similar level. Although the shader compilers must be roughly on par.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post

Where did I use the word "garbage", or even imply that the benchmark was useless? All I was saying was to take the results with a pinch of salt. Just because the FPS counts are close doesn't mean that the drivers perform at a similar level. Although the shader compilers must be roughly on par.

Yeah I know I overreacted a bit, sorry for that. It is just that your phrasing wasn't exactly the best and that your comment is only true for a few of those benchmarks. pixmark_piano for example only needs fast shader cores, everything else is no problem (60 gl calls per frame... and still only performs at < 10fps at this resolution, also no significant memory access or texture loads or anything)

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post

Funny, I thought it means precisely that, if the image quality is the same (which seems to be the case here).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Funny, I thought it means precisely that, if the image quality is the same (which seems to be the case here).
            Ancurio's point is that the benchmarks shown here may not be representative of real world performance, and he went on to explain why he believes that may be the case. You guys are blowing it way out of proportion.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Ancurio's point is that the benchmarks shown here may not be representative of real world performance, and he went on to explain why he believes that may be the case. You guys are blowing it way out of proportion.

which is also true for every benchmark anyway. His post just has a big trolling character due to the words he used.

But Nouveau has a big performance problems with all eon based games, for some reasons they perform just bad and bioshock is one of the best here.

But I would also wished for a few more complex stuff, because I am sure that's where the performance is bad currently. It is nice to have some competitice results in micro benchmarks and not complex games.

Comment

Looks good except for the Bioshock scores, seems they are having a issue there?

Soon it looks like AMD won't be even leading in Open-source department.... Wonder if they can add freesync to this open-source driver? that would be AMAZING!

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                  Soon it looks like AMD won't be even leading in Open-source department....
                  Lets wait until they actually have all their cards working with automatic reclocking support before going there. I think it's still a long way off.

Comment

I've known for years this was possible, ever since the days of non dynamic power management on Radeon. I tested my HD6750 on mid clocks then on Scorched3d and Critter, then switched to the GTS450 "nouveau card" and which boots to mid clocks and got very similar results. Both cards ran at about 40 C at idle too. Dynamic clocks for Nouveau on Fermi will cause me to bench both cards and run whichever is faster, sending the other to my #2 system.

Comment

Soon it looks like AMD won't be even leading in Open-source department....
                      Except that it took Nouveau like 4 years to get Kepler working properly - we aren't even talking about Maxwell here. And since I don't see NVGPU (or actually any kind of official support) happening any time soon, Nouveau will always be at a disadvantage.

Comment

Working...
                      X