No announcement yet.

Nouveau Kepler On Linux 4.6 vs. NVIDIA's 364 Proprietary Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 760 is not really an 'improved' 670 (in fact, it's slower), but yeah, it's the same GPU as the 680, 670 and 770. I also wonder why the 680 is the only GK104 card that performs well.

Comment

Originally posted by Vyrlokar View Post
      Michael, do you have any Fermi (4XX/5XX) cards? I know they are old, but they're still in use.
      Yes but last I checked there was no working re-clocking support mainline.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by briantech View Post
        Can reclocking be enabled by default when my system boots? If so how do I do it? I am not interested in a FOSS solution that requires manual intervention every time I run a game. But I have a 650, so these gains are encouraging. I would love to be able to run without blobs. I rarely render 3D anyway.
        You can boot with nouveau.config=NvClkMode=15 which will set it to 0f by default (which is likely to be the highest perf level on your GPU). There is no dynamic reclocking as of yet, as each reclock has a chance of screwing things up.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Looks like the system logs didn't get uploaded for it. (There's a bug/safeguard where sometimes if the attempted result logs to upload are too large, they will be auto-rejected... Need to come up with better logic to decide when large logs can be safely kept.) Anyhow, yes, I intend to try out karolherbst 's tree with the latest code, hopefully later this week.

If you run in any issues please let us now so that I can also fix those, allthough I think there may be only some minor issues left on the 780 ti which may occur one one or more boost states, well we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            They really need to take the magic from the 680 and put it in all the other hardware code. You would think it be easy to do.

well there is no magic. His 680 just have a vbios which nouveau can handle to some dagree without issues. I fixed most of the kepler issues on my tree, but still need to implement a few things until they can get merged. I really hope I can finish it this or next month,

Comment

Wow! Nouveau 0f is bloody amazing, and that 680 is just too good! A perfect example of how open source can surpass all that is proprietary, if you give it the time.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
                The 760 is not really an 'improved' 670 (in fact, it's slower), but yeah, it's the same GPU as the 680, 670 and 770. I also wonder why the 680 is the only GK104 card that performs well.
                Looks like all the online reviewers are lying and the fact that these GPUs share the same codenames and configurations is also something insignificant ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Looks like all the online reviewers are lying and the fact that these GPUs share the same codenames and configurations is also something insignificant ;-)
                  They are both based on GK104, yes. but the 670 has 1344 shaders enabled while the 760 only has 1152

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

They can be identical in every way (which they're not - different number of enabled shaders, different GPU frequencies), if released a year later, the manufacturing process has improved and that may allow tweaking of the voltage for each power level or the introduction of new power levels. Exactly the things that would make a working implementation of reclocking for one card useless for the next one.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

They can be identical in every way (which they're not - different number of enabled shaders, different GPU frequencies), if released a year later, the manufacturing process has improved and that may allow tweaking of the voltage for each power level or the introduction of new power levels. Exactly the things that would make a working implementation of reclocking for one card useless for the next one.
                      nope, this is completly irrelevant.

Comment

Working...
                      X