Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    we've been prioritizing the upstream open source stack
    I'm glad you did. Please next time prioritize *ONLY* the open source stack, your users will be even happier
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Ok, so to TRANSLATE what this article actually says... pixel C is shipping with an open/closed driver stack approximately matching the state that *ALL QUALCOMM* devices running Android have shipped in from the very beginning.

While not upstreamed, the kernel side source code for Adreno is all sitting there out in the open on Code Aurora.

I still say that Nvidia is a bad choice. Their hardware is actually quite terrible. People who complain about the Snapdragon 810 haven't experienced a Nexus 9. You can easily cook your eggs and bacon on the back of a Nexus 9, and its just a DUAL core. Yesterday, I did some simple system updates (6.0.1) on a Nexus 5, 6, and 9. During first boot, the Nexus 9 got incredibly hot and throttled back to absolutely nothing (took forever). I literally *began* the update on the Nexus 5 AFTER the 9 was already doing first boot, yet the Nexus 5 *completed* its first boot before the 9 was finished.

The 9 is fine for brief activity, like starting netflix on the chromecast, but give it anything to actually work on and it grinds itself to a halt. I can't see the pixel C being much different since its just more of the same.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        pixel C is shipping with an open/closed driver stack approximately matching the state that *ALL QUALCOMM* devices running Android have shipped in from the very beginning.
        Does that Qualcomm driver implement KMS, DRI, etc, or is it just a thin hardware interface to the proprietary userspace libraries?

Comment

If Nvidia have god enough open source drivers, Steam and other game companies can make these drivers improve a lot. But i do not think it will be happening soon

Comment

@droidhacker

The Pixel C is different to the Nexus 9, the case itself is made of aluminium and it feels pretty good. I did not test it much, just configured Kodi, Netflix, tested AnTuTu. Kodi could playback HEVC Main 10. If you like you could try this mod:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...k-mod-t2989626

But i don't think the Pixel C will suffer from this issue.

Comment

Working...
            X