VDPAU API H.265 / HEVC Decoding Lands In Mainline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    They are working on this for the OSS Radeon drivers, so that people with older hardware will be able to use the 3D engine to handle unsupported codecs http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/
    Lovely. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      @ParticleBoard

If you paid 350$ for a GTX 760 then you must be very stupid.
      +1

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      I would not consider the above 3.5 GB VRAM bug of the GTX 970 so critical for current games
      +1
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        I wonder, what of the 750ti /maxwell 1 that were said to have partial accel?
        Exactly, I bought a GTX 750 Ti just a few months ago and it seems the m***erf**kers are not supporting my new card.

Comment

Originally posted by ParticleBoard View Post
          And of course it ONLY supports the newest most bleeding edge 9xx cards on the market. Like we're all suppose to believe that these new cards are the only ones capable of this. I have a GTX760 sitting unopened in a box that just came in the mail today, a $350+ dollar card. I didn't buy the 900 series because of the whole 4g-card-with-512-mb-slow-ram fiasco that recently came out.

Oh nvidia, you just warm my heart.
          I don't think the 760 has an H.265 decoder on-board.

Comment

And of course it ONLY supports the newest most bleeding edge 9xx cards on the market. Like we're all suppose to believe that these new cards are the only ones capable of this. I have a GTX760 sitting unopened in a box that just came in the mail today, a $350+ dollar card. I didn't buy the 900 series because of the whole 4g-card-with-512-mb-slow-ram fiasco that recently came out.

Oh nvidia, you just warm my heart.
            I'm waiting for the R9 300 series 380/390. I won't touch Nvidia again. There OpenCL is dated, and the direction AMD is working on their GPGPUs is fantastic.

Comment

The 760 is not even Maxwell gen 1, it is Kepler.

Comment

And of course it ONLY supports the newest most bleeding edge 9xx cards on the market. Like we're all supposed to believe that these new cards are the only ones capable of this.
                Yes, the GM2xx chips are the first to support PureVideo7 (VP7), which is the first version of PureVideo with dedicated HEVC (whether you believe it or not). Earlier cards (I'm guessing Fermi, perhaps older) can use the 3D hardware to give some acceleration for HEVC, but it's not as good as dedicated hardware.

I didn't buy the 900 series because of the whole 4g-card-with-512-mb-slow-ram fiasco that recently came out.
                Some may perceive it as unethical/phony marketing, but compared to the rebadging/rebranding crap that Nvidia and AMD engage in on a regular basis, it's pretty minor. Calling it a "fiasco" is absurdly hysterical.

Comment

Btw. H265 is only hard to decode with high bitrates used for 4k res. If your CPU is no Atom or similar then sw decoding for FHD is certainly possible. And if you really have 4k movies you usually want to watch em on a 4k TV. There HDMI 2.0 is a requirement - only expensive ones have got DP 1.3 as well. Right now only GTX 960/970/980 can be used for this - later this year Intel Skylake. Would like to know when AMD wants to wake up - basically they should upgrade PS4/Xbox One hardware as well or they really fall behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                    They are working on this for the OSS Radeon drivers, so that people with older hardware will be able to use the 3D engine to handle unsupported codecs http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/
                    The problem is certain parts of the decode pipeline are not well suited to parallel shader type operations. As such you can only accelerate certain parts of the pipeline effectively on shaders.

Comment

Some may perceive it as unethical/phony marketing, but compared to the rebadging/rebranding crap that Nvidia and AMD engage in on a regular basis, it's pretty minor. Calling it a "fiasco" is absurdly hysterical.
                      You know why nvidia pulls this stuff? Because the "who gives a shit" people like you. We can argue all day on the technical merits of what happened but the way it was marketed and handled after the fact was a fiasco. I'm not buying the 900 series because of this and if nobody else cares then please keep nvidia's marketing team gainfully employed and rolling the the cocaine/whores/whatever else marketers do.

Comment

Working...
                      X