X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not.sure
    replied
    Originally posted by garegin View Post
    and why is that. so one day we can play 3d games.
    Not really. It's primarily to gain a reasonable amount of control over an important piece of hardware in your system. Like being able to control whether it uses 300W or 30W or 3W of power.

Other than "3d" for games you also want enough GPU power for modern desktop environments, multimedia/graphics applications, GPGPU, etc. Not to mention all the 2D rendering that is nowadays done with 3D engines.
    For mainstream users most of the above a) should work out of the box and b) doesn't necessarily need all the speed and features of blob drivers.

Leave a comment:

• garegin
    replied
    and why is that. so one day we can play 3d games. any good game that is going to be released will be closed source. I don't see the point of making reverse engineered FOSS drivers (which will always suck balls, because you are working with your hands tied behind your back) so we can MAYBE, one day play those closed source games. you are talking about decades here. apple has a good system for games and it still lacks in titles. what makes you think that linux's position won't be any different.

Leave a comment:

• Teho
    replied
    Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    people who say that funding devs to support a company that has not been FOSS friendly have a point though.
    It's seriously about a bit bigger picture than that if Linux on desktop ever wants to succeed. It's important that at least all popular hardware is properly supported and NVIDIA graphics cards easily fall in that category. I should also note that if people didn't work on drivers for companies that themselves didn't support open source software Linux wouldn't be anywhere these days.

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    people who say that funding devs to support a company that has not been FOSS friendly have a point though.

Leave a comment:

• mattst88
    replied
    "But Intel invests in its own driver. Nvidia does not support Nouveau. Doesn't it make sense for X.Org to do EVoCs for Nouveau more than for Intel?"

x.org makes a graphical system. writing drivers is not their job. they are taking funds that could go into making x.org better and paying money to write better drivers.
    Oh, goodness me. There's nothing I can do here.

Leave a comment:

• garegin
    replied
    "But Intel invests in its own driver. Nvidia does not support Nouveau. Doesn't it make sense for X.Org to do EVoCs for Nouveau more than for Intel?"

x.org makes a graphical system. writing drivers is not their job. they are taking funds that could go into making x.org better and paying money to write better drivers.

Leave a comment:

• diriel
    replied
    Hate to tell you...

But games are big business. There is this little company probably few of you have ever heard of ... VALVE.... and they are releasing this thing called ... STEAM... For Linux. There must be some reason they are doing this.

Leave a comment:

• mattst88
    replied
    no its called a sense of empathy. you'd feel bad if a poor man is spending money on wallpaper when the roof is leaking
    But Intel invests in its own driver. Nvidia does not support Nouveau. Doesn't it make sense for X.Org to do EVoCs for Nouveau more than for Intel?

Or, you think everyone should focus solely on one piece of hardware?

Leave a comment:

• garegin
    replied
    no its called a sense of empathy. you'd feel bad if a poor man is spending money on wallpaper when the roof is leaking

Leave a comment:

• mattst88
    replied
    i don't understand why we are wasting money on reverse engineering drivers. intel is more than enough for non-gaming. and I doubt linux will ever be a good gaming platform. just look at apple. it lacks many prime titles. and linux is at least 10 years behind in terms of a proper video stack. this is like training canadians in tennis, when we know that their energies will be better spent on hockey.
    I'm sorry. Is someone spending your money?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X