Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Massive Nouveau Code Push Happened Today

Phoronix: A Massive Nouveau Code Push Happened Today

A massive Nouveau code push went through today affecting libdrm, the Mesa Gallium3D drivers, and the xf86-video-nouveau driver. The whole shebang should offer some performance improvements across the board while one driver has been completely rewritten and affects three generations of hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's what I mean with "the community seems more involved in nvidia reverse engineering than radeon"
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      That's what I mean with "the community seems more involved in nvidia reverse engineering than radeon"
      Indeed, but AMD as a company is way more friendy than Nvidia. It's difficult to know where to put your money right now... However let me send a gigaton of kudos to the nouveau developers right now!

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
        Indeed, but AMD as a company is way more friendy than Nvidia. It's difficult to know where to put your money right now... However let me send a gigaton of kudos to the nouveau developers right now!
        I'd say it's pretty clear if open drivers are something you care about, it'd need to be AMD (or rather Intel, at the moment to be fair) all the way. Simply put, the best way to support open drivers, is to support the companies which support them. All credit to the community, and Redhat though, the open source drivers have quickly going from "meh" to something very usable day-to-day

Comment

Nouveau isn't an option for me (too much unstable), I was just wondering why nvidia gets more efforts from the community...
          ## VGA ##

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            Nouveau isn't an option for me (too much unstable), I was just wondering why nvidia gets more efforts from the community...
            I'm guesstimating that it may be due to the fact that in legacy terms nvidia had better cards, better linux support, and a better market share. It makes sense due to the history, but I suspect (hope) AMDs attitude towards open technologies will level the playing field for them.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
              I could be wrong but didn't VLIW make it much harder to write and optimise drivers? As I understand it southern islands and beyond aren't VLIW and they should be much easier to optimise.

Comment

Absence of documentation makes it even harder...
                ## VGA ##

Comment

I hope it fix this: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=37681

Comment

Since AMD is working with open source won't they push documentation shortly (if not already)?

Comment

Working...
                    X