Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schmidtbag
    replied
    so... is this just a rumor? because imo this is complete bs. xbox 360 uses ati graphics. the 360 is selling better than ps3, which uses nvidia, and its selling much better than the original xbox, which also used nvidia. microsoft buying nvidia is not going to help them unless they decide to use them for their next gaming console.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i've never heard of nvidia's mobile chips (like tegra) being on a windows phone. they're on android platforms, something MS hates very much. nvidia's cuda stuff is, from what i've seen, about 65% windows, 45% linux, and the rest is other OSes. cuda is a big deal to nvidia, and they are very linux focused with it.

nvidia may no focus too much on the generic desktop user or gamer for linux, but they know linux is where a notable amount of their income comes from. MS buying them out is not only unlikely, but even if they do i highly doubt it will hurt the linux community. i noticed once MS bought skype there has already been an update within a couple weeks, and it actually had notable fixes in it.

to me, something is not worth posting until there is definite proof of it. i know michael is just doing his job and probably is tired of hearing people PM him about this rumor, but rumors are not newsworthy.

Leave a comment:

• Ex-Cyber
    replied
    I'm not sure why this is a story. It seems perfectly reasonable to me: MS was worried about the possibility that Sony/Nintendo/Sega would come along and buy out their single-source Xbox GPU vendor to kill Xbox, so an agreement was put in place that allowed MS to become the buyer instead.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Microsoft & NVIDIA Have Been Closer Than Realized

Microsoft & NVIDIA Have Been Closer Than Realized

Phoronix: Microsoft & NVIDIA Have Been Closer Than Realized

Generating a fair amount of interest the past two days has been news that Microsoft and NVIDIA are in a relationship much closer than many realize. Dating back to an SEC paper in the year 2000, Microsoft carries the right of first and last refusal to purchase NVIDIA. While many Linux users are quite fond of NVIDIA hardware and their proprietary graphics driver for being stable and largely carrying a performance and feature parity to the Windows driver, there's been many emails sent over to Phoronix about this news...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X