Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hip Hip Hurrah, Nouveau Frees Up The Fermi Microcode

Phoronix: Hip Hip Hurrah, Nouveau Frees Up The Fermi Microcode

Within the Nouveau kernel module there's been reverse-engineered kernel mode-setting support for NVIDIA's Fermi GPUs (the GeForce 400/500 series) since last summer. Earlier this year, Nouveau Fermi acceleration support was added with the necessary kernel DRM bits, to the Nouveau X.Org driver for EXA/X-Video acceleration, and a respective Gallium3D Mesa driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If the upcoming kernel is 3.0 then the next release will be 3.1

Comment

Was it just me or was finding the actual information that mattered incredibly difficult?

Red Hat's Ben Skeggs yesterday commited to the Nouveau Git code-base his initial attempt at creating a free replacement to this NVIDIA PGRAPH micro-code that's needed by Fermi.
      That is all I wanted to know, but it was hard to find.

Comment

The initial "FUC" microcode

I just love these names!

Comment

Originally posted by VinzC View Post
          I just love these names!
          Actually, it should be fμc or fuc, not FUC. It originally stood for "Fermi microcode", but then it was discovered that nva3+ cards used it in some places, so it was renamed to "flexible microcode". (The μ stands for "micro" like it does in the SI system.)

Comment

What a misleading title. Nouveau didn't "free up the Fermi microcode" at all!! They wrote their own instead.

Another lame sensationalist title. Michael is borderline-lying even.

Comment

So when will Gallium3D work with nouveau out of box for nvc0+? I've got nvc1 gpu and I'm trying to run it somehow on my notebook but it doesn't work. Aren't there any good tutorials how to do this?

Comment

Originally posted by kacperpl1 View Post
                So when will Gallium3D work with nouveau out of box for nvc0+? I've got nvc1 gpu and I'm trying to run it somehow on my notebook but it doesn't work. Aren't there any good tutorials how to do this?
                It does for 0xc0/0xc3/0xc4 already if you have git of everything (or in default f15 with NVIDIA's ucode installed). 0xc1 is known broken (horrible misrendering in certain apps), i've started looking at it but have no clue yet..

Comment

I can test it on my 420M if you provide complete and reliable instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by Plombo View Post
                    Actually, it should be fμc or fuc, not FUC. It originally stood for "Fermi microcode", but then it was discovered that nva3+ cards used it in some places, so it was renamed to "flexible microcode". (The μ stands for "micro" like it does in the SI system.)
                    Yeah, I knew this. These names never miss to amaze me though .

Comment

Working...
                    X