Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Look At The Latest Nouveau Gallium3D Driver

Phoronix: Another Look At The Latest Nouveau Gallium3D Driver

Earlier this month I reported on good and bad news for the Nouveau Gallium3D driver with the good news being that for the hardware that played well with this reverse-engineered open-source driver, the OpenGL performance was not too bad in most instances compared to NVIDIA's official proprietary driver. There still is quite a difference in performance between the two NVIDIA Linux drivers, but it is a usable experience in a number of cases and is not too bad for Nouveau being a community-driven driver. However, the bad news was that non-GeForce 8 hardware had regressed to being non-functioning. Since that article, however, using code that is some more recent I have the GeForce 9 and GeForce 200 acceleration working again. The current code though leaves a lot to be desired.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Which confirms what we always knew: there's a huge gap between open-source support in amd and nvidia.

Even so, reverse engineered 3d drivers with interactive framerates are several kinds of awesome. Too bad that nvidia remains the bad kid in the playground.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      Too bad that nvidia remains the bad kid in the playground.
      the solution is NOT to buy nvidia graphic cards whenever possible

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        As if people will listen . Most users (especially the new "came from Windows and now use Ubuntu" crowd) simply don?t care for any of this.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          As Melcar said, that is not the solution, why should some normal user care about the openness of the driver? They want the computer to simply work.

Comment

OK, these results are far from impressive but I still believe they are good.
            Kudo's to the developers, they get no information from Nvidia. AMD is helping the Open-sourcedriver developers. Normal that Nouveau has a hard time to keep up with development.

Comment

The average user who wants his computer to just work or the one coming from windows will just use the blob and get a really nice experience.

I am fine with that to be honest. I support whatever works best for someones needs.

However from my part i wouldn't purchase -and maybe neither recommend- an nvidia product as long as the ATI one fits my needs.

Comment

If it's good enough to run Compiz, it's acceptable. You can install your OS, use it, and if you want to play commercial games or do serious graphics work, you can sacrifice ease of use for performance by installing the blob. Good enough, for now. Obviously, if you have the chance to buy AMD, buy AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
                  If it's good enough to run Compiz, it's acceptable. You can install your OS, use it, and if you want to play commercial games or do serious graphics work, you can sacrifice ease of use for performance by installing the blob. Good enough, for now. Obviously, if you have the chance to buy AMD, buy AMD.
                  Which easy of use?

Comment

Originally posted by siban View Post
                    Which easy of use?
                    Monitor hotplugging, out of the box experience.

Comment

Working...
                    X