Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Nouveau Pony Is Pulled, Ctx_Voodoo Ignored

Phoronix: The Nouveau Pony Is Pulled, Ctx_Voodoo Ignored

As we shared yesterday morning, Nouveay would be entering the Linux 2.6.33 kernel as a staging driver. Last night Linus did indeed pull the drm-nouveau-pony branch...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, to reply to your request regarding running nouveau:
    I'm already using nouveau on my Laptop with a GeForce8600 (NV50) including KMS and the Gallium3D driver and it runs quite good, even with compiz. There are some minor glitches, but it seems quite usable (as long as xscreensaver doesn't crash it ). Even suspend/resume worked well a few times.

Comment

I used Nouveau driver in Fedora 12 with 8600 GT and everything worked perfectly except some movies.
      Last edited by blueskynis; 12 December 2009, 10:56 AM.

Comment

I will be using it in my laptop with the GeForce 7600 (nv4x/c5x/c7x).

Comment

@Michael: It is pretty obvious from your articles that you are an Ubuntu fanboy, and you don't like Red Hat.

But you might want to reconsider your current plan of flaming Red Hat for not upstreaming the code. It might have a negative effect on their motivation for improving the code.

Who knows, there might even be people that think Red Hat did the right thing not upstreaming it before the legal stuff was resolved. But I don't suppose you read those emails in the mailinglist.

Think about that when you write your coming articles.

Comment

I have an nVida 7900GS in my main machine and a 6800GTS in another. I'll look to testing the driver on these rigs soon.

Where can I get a .deb of the driver?

Comment

I intend on running it on my laptop:
              01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 8600M GS] (rev a1)

Comment

I'll be trying Nouveau out on my thinkpad,
                01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Quadro FX 570M (rev a1)

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                  @Michael: It is pretty obvious from your articles that you are an Ubuntu fanboy, and you don't like Red Hat.

But you might want to reconsider your current plan of flaming Red Hat for not upstreaming the code. It might have a negative effect on their motivation for improving the code.

Who knows, there might even be people that think Red Hat did the right thing not upstreaming it before the legal stuff was resolved. But I don't suppose you read those emails in the mailinglist.

Think about that when you write your coming articles.
                  I tend to agree. From the article:
                  However, we have learned that ctx_voodoo is not even needed for all graphics cards and that Red Hat was just attempting to ignore this little fact.
                  Red Hat has done more for nouveau than ANY OTHER DISTRO. So I would calm down a bit before I start pointing fingers at them accusing them of being evil overlords that want to keep nouveau from the masses.

Comment

GTS250 in the main machine and 8600GT in the secondary.

Comment

Working...
                    X