Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Will Happen To xf86-video-nv In 2010?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• incariadync
    replied
    What Will Happen To xf86 video nv In 2010

Hank White wrote:svngpvtry wrote:lil_Jean wrote:Waah waah waah

lol get bent

lil Jean he does have a point. This IS the rants and raves section and nobody is forcing you to read or respond to posts.

But back on topic: I agree, there are a couple decent deals on items but NOTHING like I have seen in years past. At this point my BF shopping is going to be for some 2 dvds most of which I probably already own. I am a bit disappointed that there are not more things that I am salivating over right now. Who knows what can happen with secret items but I its looking like Im not spending the night anywhere.

What exactly are secret items?

Often stores have items that they dont advertise in their BF ad that they will announce the night before on their website or something like that. Basically an unadvertised surprise sale item. Often times they are at a very good price.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by Remco View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think OpenCL uses your entire computer's processing power, not only the GPU.
    It's a C with classes plus compute kernels language. The programmer can specify what it wants to run the kernels on. A programmer may also just tell the OpenCL implementation to choose for itself what's the best place to let the kernels run on.

If you want to know more about OpenCL than watch these screencasts: http://www.macresearch.org/opencl
    You can watch them with VLC if you can't view them. Free software implementation: check. Patent encumbered: check.

Leave a comment:

• Remco
    replied
    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    It's cool that with Gallium3D and OpenCL, people can use the GPU too and therefore the entire computing power of a computer, but...

If we offload everything to the GPU, including non-graphical stuff, then how is this GPU still going to do what it is actually designed for: dedicated graphics.

It would be cool if everything is offloaded, but when id's Rage comes around the corner it would be cool if my GPU would still have some juice left for this game. I mean... with all these multi-core CPU's I think software accelerated sound wouldn't be a problem on the CPU. Even with 100% usage of a single core it wouldn't matter much.

Talking about games... Is crossfire going to be supported in Gallium3D (some day)?
    I may be wrong, but I think OpenCL uses your entire computer's processing power, not only the GPU. It will schedule integer operations on the CPU and floating point operations on the GPU. It may also use SSE to do some floating point stuff on the CPU. Basically it uses your computer's resources as effectively as possible. So if you program your whole application as a bunch of OpenCL jobs, you don't have to worry about where you're going to execute it.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
    I know a GPU isn't ideal for sound effects processing, but it's better than both the alternatives (CPUs or Creative's trash hardware).
    It's cool that with Gallium3D and OpenCL, people can use the GPU too and therefore the entire computing power of a computer, but...

If we offload everything to the GPU, including non-graphical stuff, then how is this GPU still going to do what it is actually designed for: dedicated graphics.

It would be cool if everything is offloaded, but when id's Rage comes around the corner it would be cool if my GPU would still have some juice left for this game. I mean... with all these multi-core CPU's I think software accelerated sound wouldn't be a problem on the CPU. Even with 100% usage of a single core it wouldn't matter much.

Talking about games... Is crossfire going to be supported in Gallium3D (some day)?

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    (actually read the thread this time and is now thoroughly nauseated)

I could see good uses for HW-accelerated sound via Gallium, actually. A new replacement for OpenAL that does the 3D processing where all the 3D data is seems like a common sense thing to do. I know a GPU isn't ideal for sound effects processing, but it's better than both the alternatives (CPUs or Creative's trash hardware).
    There are already some VST plugins that utilize GPGPU (Cuda) http://www.acusticaudio.net/modules....s&file=nebula3

Then there are also projects like this http://koonlab.com/CUDA_RealFIR/CUDA%20Real%20FIR.html

and I wouldn't be surprised if the next Logic Studio from Apple will have some openCL accelerated plugins as well.

Leave a comment:

• King InuYasha
    replied

I could see good uses for HW-accelerated sound via Gallium, actually. A new replacement for OpenAL that does the 3D processing where all the 3D data is seems like a common sense thing to do. I know a GPU isn't ideal for sound effects processing, but it's better than both the alternatives (CPUs or Creative's trash hardware).

It's also something all computers have now. I can't think of many computers that come with a dedicated sound processor. But all of them come with a graphics processor.

Leave a comment:

• Ant P.
    replied

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
    Should we then interpret under a new light bridgman's comments about how GPU offloading of some stages of video playback will possibly be implemented in shaders under Gallium? A Speex-accelerated box is not what was in my mind.

Leave a comment:

• RobbieAB
    replied
    I guess that is just another case of Apple putting form over function, and designing a "portable" because a laptop couldn't be kept cool on laps.

I have a HP laptop that runs fine on my lap... Intel C2D Centrino + Intel Graphics, running RHEL (work has weird ideas...)

In reply to the comment about RH do desktops: They do, but I doubt it is much of a money maker as anything other than a server test/dev machine, and strangely enough those are not places I expect to see a lot of video playing. If nothing else, it's applications are old. (OOo 2.3, Gimp 2.2, ...) If you want a RH desktop, install Fedora would be my advice.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    It applies to every portable system that apple has made since the G3's.
    That's really disappointing. So what laptops can one place on his lap? ARM laptops? I know that even VIA Nano netbooks need a fan...

Is it really asking too much to have a computer that you can actually place on your lap or on the carpet or something?

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    E
    Does that count for the plastic case MacBooks too? I can't imagine that Apple uses plastic as a passive cooler...
    It applies to every portable system that apple has made since the G3's.

For example:

Manuals, technical specifications, downloads, and more for Apple software and hardware

On page 106 of the 2006 Macbook Users Guide the same thing is repeated.
    Last edited by deanjo; 14 December 2009, 08:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X