Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Will Happen To xf86-video-nv In 2010?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by King InuYasha View Post
    People almost never actually USE servers, so WHAT GOOD is it?
    Excuse me, but what moron runs X on servers? Red Hat makes Linux desktops too, remember?

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Actually Apple hasn't made a laptop (including the Macbook). They are called portables, and for good reason as well. Read the manual and you will see that it clearly stipulates during usage to place on a flat surface.
    Does that count for the plastic case MacBooks too? I can't imagine that Apple uses plastic as a passive cooler...

Leave a comment:

• Louise
    replied
    I don't think leaks like that happen when we talk CPU's. They call it leak, so it is more excising for those bringing the news

Now a real leak was when the source code for the XBox hit Pirate Bay. Now that's a leak

Anyway, AMD have been fairly open i 2008 about the Fusion specs. Phenom II and RV800, which was just a few weeks ago announced.

Slide 3 is very hard to make out what it means. Given AMD's crave for going native right away, it is temping to read it as the GPU and CPu share memory controller.

But then again, looking at the die picture, it is not very clear that the cores are connected with a huge rectangle block, that could look like a memory controller.

In fact, it is a very odd picture. Why do we see 2x4 cores?

So you can be very sure that Fusion will be big, now that Intel's Nottobee. didn't make it.

Leave a comment:

• Ant P.
    replied
    (Completely ignoring the last 7 pages) nVidia will continue doing what they've always done: stick their head in the sand and pretend the outside world's development community doesn't exist.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Lol, Markham boy.
    Nope. My closest major city is Peterborough.
    Last edited by bridgman; 13 December 2009, 05:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• King InuYasha
    replied
    Originally posted by airlied View Post
    Look my point is if the community felt this was as important as all the ppl in the community who demand we work on it, one person who is capable of this stuff and can work on it outside of a patent minefield that is company development would have shown up and implemented it already.

r300->r500 movie decoding is all done with shaders, the code is all available it just needs someome to take some time to plug it in and write it, this hasn't happened. Its been possible for over a year.

You seriously think if someone wrote patches to add tearfree movie decoding to radeon we'd reject them?

All my posts are from my POV, RH don't need this for any customers,
    due to use not being able to ship codecs for anything we can accel so I've no reason to work on it. Patents aren't something you can ignore when you work in companies, anyone who thinks they are is just stupid and i invite them to start a company and ignore them.

Dave.
    Well, can't VDPAU and VA-API be used to accelerate Theora video? You still ship the Ogg codecs..

Leave a comment:

• airlied
    replied
    If you can't be a professional in your field I can't help you either. A real professional would not have even said something so juvenile knowing the person they were speaking too couldn't change policy. You asked for proof, I provided it in spades. Grow up Dave, show some maturity and professionalism and maybe you will get some credibility associated with your name again but it will take a long time given your past antics.
    LOLS, thanks for that, some random dumbass on an Internet forum think I'm unprofessional, it must be true.

You provided proof in spades? of what, not that I wanted the source to the nvidia binary driver which is what you were trying to prove. I think we can call that failure to achieve minimal intelligence to argue a point.

Dave.

Leave a comment:

• Remco
    replied
    Dave is pulling the company bullshit line that is quoted on the basis that the USA is the center of the universe and the DMCA covers it all despite the fact that it isn't the center of the universe and it only applies in a anal retentive country (politics wise) that couldn't see the sunshine if they dig 6 feet to get their heads out of their ass.

They are almost as bad as Toronto residents in that respect.
    I don't see why you are bashing the guy who is creating a device driver for you. Red Hat, as an America-based company is not in a position to ship patent-encumbered software. Therefore, they have no use for technologies that are only required by patent-encumbered software. It's as simple as that.

I was using the TheoraTube Firefox extension to get around encumbered formats online, but it takes a lot of time to encode a video to Theora before you can watch it. Browsing YouTube became even more annoying than with the Flash-based original. Now I use Youtube without Flash Auto to just give me an embedded Totem widget that plays the MP4 file without Flash.

I would love to use Theora for everything, but I don't want to wait for a reencode for every video. The developer of TheoraTube has an idea to use P2P technology to share the Theora encoding workload, but that has some copyright issues of course.

Leave a comment:

• airlied
    replied
    Originally posted by King InuYasha View Post
    Or maybe because of attitudes like that they see no point in doing anything. And ripping content itself isn't illegal. It's breaking the DRM in the process that is illegal. It is quite easy to preserve the DRM when ripping it.

Also, perhaps I record TV shows from my TV Tuner, again, VDPAU/VA-API support would still be useful.

The fact you are assuming illegal usage of such features is horrible and quite frankly, hogwash.

Your attitudes regarding this whole thing make it seem like nobody on the developer side sees a legal value to it. I guess this really exemplifies the industrial/corporate focus that most Linux development has. I remember a few years ago there was a guy that focused entirely on making patches that made Linux work better on the desktop.

I don't know what happened to those patches today, but I do know that at the time, they were scoffed at because nearly everybody focused entirely on the server platforms. So what if Linux can scale to innumerable CPUs? Linux seems to suck at handling audio right now, and there is horrible OpenGL performance. And that guy doesn't work on the kernel anymore.

We're only now addressing these issues. Developers shooting down the validity of VDPAU/VA-API, you suck right now.

GRRR *growls and grabs hair*

This IS RIDICULOUS...

Look my point is if the community felt this was as important as all the ppl in the community who demand we work on it, one person who is capable of this stuff and can work on it outside of a patent minefield that is company development would have shown up and implemented it already.

r300->r500 movie decoding is all done with shaders, the code is all available it just needs someome to take some time to plug it in and write it, this hasn't happened. Its been possible for over a year.

You seriously think if someone wrote patches to add tearfree movie decoding to radeon we'd reject them?

All my posts are from my POV, RH don't need this for any customers,
    due to use not being able to ship codecs for anything we can accel so I've no reason to work on it. Patents aren't something you can ignore when you work in companies, anyone who thinks they are is just stupid and i invite them to start a company and ignore them.

Dave.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Geez, I'm glad I don't live in Toronto.
    Lol, Markham boy.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Core 2 Duo laptops are not meant to be used on your lap

They are more like portale desktops.

I've always said that if I'd buy a laptop with a size larger than a netbook would buy a MacBook and install Linux on it. MacBooks are real laptops.

I mean... what good is a laptop of you can't place it on top of your lap? All laptops out there today have ventilation holes in the bottom. MacBooks are the only laptops out there that have the ventilation holes on the top.
    Actually Apple hasn't made a laptop (including the Macbook). They are called portables, and for good reason as well. Read the manual and you will see that it clearly stipulates during usage to place on a flat surface.

Using Your MacBook
    When you’re using your MacBook or charging the battery, it's normal for the bottom of the case to get warm. For prolonged use, place your MacBook on a flat, stable surface. Do not place your MacBook on your lap or other body surface for extended periods of time. Prolonged body contact can cause discomfort and potentially a burn. The bottom of the MacBook case functions as a cooling surface that transfers heat from inside the computer to the cooler air outside. The bottom of the case is raised slightly to allow airflow, which keeps the unit within normal operating temperatures. In addition, warm air is vented from the slots in the back of the case.
    Last edited by deanjo; 13 December 2009, 03:56 PM. Reason: Added link to Apple operating proceedures for the MacBook

Leave a comment:

Working...
X