Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA's Open GPU Linux Kernel Driver Will Soon Be The Default For Turing & Newer GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Citan View Post
    considering the immense level of crappiness of previous Windows that made a loss of hundreds, if not thousands, billions of dollars from lost time and data, collectively throughout the world over those last 30 years).
    I only know how much of my life was spent on waiting for the slow/inefficient performance, troubleshooting the plethora of bugs and stupid design, and cursing those crappy MS software and OS'es over the decades, I think I agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

LOL!

You think that using Windows NT, 2k, XP, Vista and 7 has resulted in hundreds of billions if dollars lost through lost time and data?

I don't know what you are on, but seek help.
      Well... Yes.

First of all, I was including ALL versions of Windows, including the ones you "strangely" avoided.
      95, 98 and the epitome Millenium were huge messes of unreliability and slowness.
      Most people around me needed to fully reinstall their system every 6 months on average.
      And whenever computer crashed, it meant you lost from a couple minutes to several hours of work (because not everyone was sensibilized to good practices like manually saving very regularly, or creating backup copies).
      The system was easy to make overheat as well in perfs, and network was a hell to make work between even just two computers (I remember when playing Duke Nukem 3d with my brother spending no less than *20 minutes* EACH time just to make computers see each other).
      Basically, you spent around one hour PER DAY on average fighting with your computer instead of WORKING with it.

But ok, let's "play" and ignore the hot messes that made people learn that sad axiom that "computers aren't reliable" when it's just "Windows is not reliable". And just take your short list.

Consider the number of machines overall throughout the world.
      Consider, for each, the time spent just during initialization phase so first try and get graphics/audio/network drivers from an external source because until Windows 8 there was basically *nothing* integrated (meanwhile, Linux? 95% hardware at least one year old was natively recognized and exploitable).
      Consider, for each, the time spent to try and add security layers through antivirus while hoping they install before your system gets corrupted to the bone, or making efforts to grab updated installation discs because default installations provided with hardware were completely outdated compared to the new virus that sprouted each day (ever tried to install a Windows XP SP1 and connect to internet to dl an antivirus and updates as quick as possible? In 2mn chrono your PC is filled with a good hundred spywares and viruses).
      Consider, for each, the time regularly spent on updating and running antiviruses and spywares or installing updates, trying to create restoration points with more or less reliability.
      Consider, for each, the significant loss of time and value when an application or the whole system crashed and required full reboot, "like in good old days", ending up with lost data and possibly further time lost on making a filesystem checkup to avoid snowballing problems.
      Consider, for each, the significant and frustrating loss of time from getting a regular BSOD without ANY decent indication on what the problem may be because Microsoft felt best to put cryptic messages to try and make people pay support, instead of actually giving actionable information.
      Consider, for each, the great loss of value when the system ultimately crashed "for good" and at best required a full reinstall with disk low-level scan to try and repair filesystem and detect the sectors overly used by filesystems promoting fragmentation and early use.
      Consider, for each, the immense loss of value whenever a system finally fell to a virus and people/company ended up with data lost or worse, stolen, and the requirement to check EVERY computer to try and track whether virus had propagated.

And that's not an exhaustive list of problems and constraints... That have been if not completely avoided in Linux (risk 0 doesn't exist) at least extremely reduced even for a completely "new" user, just by the sake of being actually well designed and enforcing, up to a point, anyone wanting to promote its own software to follow the rules and good practices.

Over 30 years, the scale I'm giving for an amount of dollars of value lost, directly or indirectly, by having Microsoft use anti-concurrency practices to impose Windows on most computers... Is *really* not far-fetched. Before we even consider evaluating past losses by correcting the amount with all the cumulated inflation.
      Last edited by Citan; 17 May 2024, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post

16 series are Turing parts and supported by the open kernel module (and I would assume nouveau GSP mode)
        The question is not whether the 16 series GPUs supported (they are) by the open kernel module, but will they be defaulted to open kernel module by the installer. Until the 560 installer is released no one (other than nvidia) knows their plans.

Comment

Originally posted by Citan View Post

... cumulated ...
          cumulative, or accumulated

cumulated means something VERY different where im from

Comment

NVIDIA on Wayland has just 1 issue for me and that will be solved with explicit sync, so that's really nice to see. I can finally be rid of X11 as the display manager and just have it for specific apps until everything I use is off of X11. Though it sucks NVIDIA continues to keep their userspace closed.

Comment

Working...
            X