Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former Nouveau Lead Developer Joins NVIDIA, Continues Working On Open-Source Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

RX 7800 XT is Navi 32 Die

Panix there is are a few basic rule of silicon production.
    1) Large there die size the higher the defect rate.
    2) newer the silicon production method also higher the defect rate.

If you look at the 3 RDNA_3 Dies the Navi 31 is the most likely to be defective. Make a defective die usable you use a process to disable parts of the die.

There is another sign they are recovery.
    RX 7900 GRE (4×)
    RX 7900 XT (5×)
    RX 7900 XTX (6×)
    ​Note the MCD counts. Then you see the chip with heat sink removed on RX 7900 GRE different locations out of 6 MCD are populated. You see the same thing with the RX7900XT

Note RX7900 has the same MCD count as the RX7800

What do you do you have produced a stack of Navi 31 dies not good enough to be RX7900 XT or RX7900XTX and you did not leave a number space.

AMD already had what they had planned as the RX 6800 XT successor the RX 7800 XT so that statement that the RX7900 GRE is the planned RX6800 XT success is absolutely false.

I would say AMD hoped they could dump a stack of defective silicon on the Chinese market with is very lax consumer protection laws with the RX 7900 GRE. Now they are putting in other markets because opps they have had that many defective Navi 31 die that is too many for the china market to take up.

Do note it something AMD has done more than once have a opps with silicon production of something and dump the cut down version on china.

Something in the china awkwardly position in the AMD stack be it GPU or CPU is normally limit batches of rejects. Like the 8 core AM4 chips instead of 1 full CCD had 2 half CCD.

Silicon production is a horrible game. Marketing from AMD and placement in China really amd they were expect RX 7900 GRE to be a limited run of duds. Remember AMD has to pay storage fees to keep not used die or destruction fees to dispose of them.

Something you miss running the lazer on the Navi31 die to disable the functionality to turn a RX7900XT/RX7900XTX die into RX7900GRE die is not a zero cost operation and is not a 100 percent yield operation..

Something else to remember RX7000 series is the first time AMD uses MCD prior to RX7000 series everything is monolithic. So this is new tech. Lets say AMD was projecting that at worst only 1 of the connection to MCD from Navi 31 die would not work but now they have stacks of Navi31 dies where 2 MCD connections don't work.

Occam's razor say the simplest explain to RX 7900 GRE existence is the production of Navi31 dies produced more duds than expected and RX 7900 GRE exists to use cut back dies back to make them usable. Cutting the RX7900 die bake makes it conflict with Radeon RX 7800 XT. But what are going to do if you have dud chips stacking up.

Yes attempt to hide the duds in china. Then when you have more duds than what china market can take release it on the global market. AMD and Intel have done this with CPUs for decades. AMD with GPU commonly don't do this.
    I thought about it and you are right - it's a difference but I still don't accept AMD using their defective material and then selling it as a 'new card' and trying to slot it in as some 7900 series. Others think it's fine and that's their/your prerogative. I wouldn't buy one. I also wouldn't buy a 4060 or 4060 8gb either. I have looked at the 4070s too - and I'm only interested in a 4070 Ti Super because, at least, you get the max. vram it can get as of now.

I don't like AMD's offerings for 2 simple reasons: 1) they are not power efficient (compared to Ada Lovelace and 2) they are not good at the software I want to run - meaning AMD doesn't sufficiently support their products - and I know about all the excuses but the facts are the facts.

As for rebadging or 'tricking' customers with these 'bait and switch' or gimping - there's ADATA with their ssds, I think others have been accused of doing these kinds of things - and the rebadge by Nvidia, I have read a bit about it but wasn't aware that AMD hasn't.

What about this, then?:

Is it so far back, it doesn't count?

I'm not sure whether to call it an addiction or a kink, but it's safe to say AMD has a real rebadging problem. In June 2016 they...

Comment

• Originally posted by Panix View Post
      I thought about it and you are right - it's a difference but I still don't accept AMD using their defective material and then selling it as a 'new card' and trying to slot it in as some 7900 series.

One of the realities is that a 7900 TX is a defective 7800 XTX. This is just how silicon binning works.

Nvidia has tones of examples that clearly show that they will stick different silicon under the same Retail name. The reality is Nvidia in AMD boat leading to AMD release the RX7900 GRE would have just branded it a RX 7800 and sold it at a higher price(nvidia done this back in the 10 series).

Originally posted by Panix View Post
      and I'm only interested in a 4070 Ti Super because, at least, you get the max. vram it can get as of now.
      At this point the 4070 ti Super is only one bit of silicon but as you can see by 10,20,30 series before it over time its likely to come multi silicon.

As for rebadging or 'tricking' customers with these 'bait and switch' or gimping - there's ADATA with their ssds, I think others have been accused of doing these kinds of things - and the rebadge by Nvidia, I have read a bit about it but wasn't aware that AMD hasn't.
      ADATA and Nvidia do the same thing very commonly. We have X brand but we then ship multi different silicon under the same brand so that a customer bought X brand one year and it perform Y and they buy the same X brand the next year and it performs Z because they are different silicon.

I am not saying AMD branding old silicon designs with a new brand is on the up and up but there is one reality this is not what ADATA and Nvidia is doing. You buy a card with X brand on it from AMD it will have same silicon die on side no matter the time you buy it. AMD mandates policy different silicon different consumer brand name.

Panix there are two different behaviors.
      1) branding old silicon as new.
      2) stuffing multi different silicons including possible different generations under the same retail brand.

AMD only guilty of behavior 1. The 7900GRE is what happens when AMD has not left enough space in the numbers to allow on the production failures to put to market. 7900GRE still a different retail branding.
      Nvidia is guilty of both 1 and 2.
      ADATA is guilty of 2. ADATA has never done 1.

I class 2 as worse because consumer buys the item it works perfectly then decide they will buy the same one again but now when the use the same brand name again they get something that behaves vastly different. 2 also makes it when a person reviews the product and provided buy with advice not trust worthy due to the issue action 2 causes.

The reality is does not matter if it AMD/Intel/Nvidia/any major silicon chip supplier all of them will sell you defective material because they have to so they can make profit due to how hard it is to get silicon production to produce decent perfect yield. The important point is how they brand this stuff so they don't confuse consumers.

Action 2 is really 'bait and switch' . ADATA SSD were very bad reviewers testing with one make of SSD controller but the consumers were getting a completely different SSD controller under the same retail brand with complete different performance.

AMD actions by at least Australian law where I am is not legally bate and switch.
      Action 1 if it illegal in Australia would fall under misleading claims.
      Action 2 ADATA/Nvidia branding the different silicon under the same name is possible bate and switch and this comes under false claims if illegal Australia.

Panix both are bad for consumers in different ways most countries laws class them as different things. So it does not pay to mix them with each other otherwise you are not being clear to your regulator that they should do anything.

Yes the RX600 and the HD8000 series have a problem that should not be allowed. Reviews are upset by what AMD does and talks about it because it causes them more work. But there is worse like the GeForce RTX 3060 Ti where there is 3 different silicons and reviewers normally only put one in the charts. This where the bate and switch with Nvidia comes in. You are advertised X but you are getting Y in the Nvidia case.​

Comment

• Originally posted by Panix
        So, what? The 1030 and gt 710 are old cards - they're not even gaming cards. The 7900 GRE is in the generation's upper tier cards. Also, my point is, fools like you make excuses for AMD.

The other guy is ignoring these points, too - he's also an AMD fanboy but at least his argument is mostly tech-related. You have bias and you're a tool who is obnoxious. Go find a corner.
        ​No the point is you are absolutely too foolish to understand the difference, you still don't get it. Also now all of a sudden gaming is relevant You truly are a hypocrite. The fact they are old cards means that open source drivers are the best bet to keep them usable but due to circumstances created by Nvidia there is a problem with where you basically need to be lucky enough to have 1 variant over the other without ever having had the choice. The cards have the exact same name but different chips and capabilities which stop people from using them fully with open source drivers (it really isn't complicated unless you are insanely dumb ).

We aren't ignoring your points, we are calling them what they are: irrelevant (and also poorly constructed, having near 7800XT performance doesn't mean it has to be called a 7800 card, the branding names are marketing anyway such a childish thing to bring up).

But then you come barging in here again, like the biased obnoxious child that you are and bring up a completely unrelated AMD card and go "bUt AmD iS bAd tOo". And the second anyone even slightly disagrees with you, you cry and bring up incredible bad research with poor reasoning and start calling everyone AMD fanboys, fools and biased (while demonstrating how little you actually know on the subject) because the truth is that you are just an AMD hater that can't live with the fact that Nvidia is being criticized on something so you need to bring up AMD for your own delusional satisfaction, regardless if it is on topic or not and incapable of admitting there is a difference so you result to name calling.

Despite oiaohm treating you with respect, the same I once did, you feel a need to name call him too but you don't deserve it because you always name call and can never admit you are in the wrong, it is just laughable, you are Dunning-Kruger incarnate. It shows how much you hate AMD that you must bash them and keep trying to defend that your unrelated hate for the 7900GRE is exactly the same as our criticism of Nvidia splitting silicon like that which combined with their denying of automatic reclock for a lot of architectures that are EOL or near EOL makes for a very confusing list of what is and isn't fully supported by the open source drivers which is something Nvidia can fix by giving us literally anything (firmware, source cod etc) to enable automatic reclocking for those architectures, it really is an Nvidia only issue.

You still don't understand the naming, performance and all that other shit you cry about the 7900GRE is irrelevant, even children understand: you consistently know what you are getting with that card even if it is a cut down 7900 XT/XTX with the performance equivalence of a 7800 XT.
        Let me break it down in the simplest terms possible:
        7900GRE VS 7900XT VS 7800XT:
        • Small but noticeable difference in name, noticeable on the box even
        • Difference in pricing
        • You know what you get even if it isn't great value compared to others
        GT710M VS GT710M :
        • No difference in name
        • One requires automatic reclock, the others does not (which until Nvidia gives us a solution, heavily impacts the usage of open source drivers)
        • You don't know which you have until you check it

Comment

• Originally posted by tenchrio View Post
          • No difference in name
          • One requires automatic reclock, the others does not (which until Nvidia gives us a solution, heavily impacts the usage of open source drivers)
          • You don't know which you have until you check it
          GT710M are even worse. Lot of ODM shipping GT710M used the same box for both forms. So nothing on the outside the the packaging you could have read in the store would have told you any difference. And the soc inside is from two completely different design generations.

Even up to the 40 and 30 series of Nvidia cards not all Nvidia ODM put on the outside of the box what nvidia chip/chips are inside card and this can even apply to the specification sheet from the ODM.

Yes GeForce RTX 3060 Ti has 3 possible chips inside. Yes you can have 4 boxes absolute identical that contain the 3 different chipped cards yes there is 4 cards here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_30_series#Desktop One behaves very differently out of the 4 possible cards that have the GeForce RTX 3060 Ti because it only has 9.5GT/s of memory instead of the other 3 that have 14Gt/s. Yes the GA104-202​ chip GeForce RTX 3060 Ti can be populated with 2 types of ram.

Yes GeForce RTX 3060 Ti is 4 cards per ODM 3 different soc chips and 2 different memory types. Yes this is cards released from Dec 2, 2020​ to Oct 2022​. So if you bought early Geforce RTX 3060Ti then bought another one a year and a bit latter it was different silicon. You might have hit the one with the slower transfer speed and wonder why this card did not behave quite right.

GT710M is an old example. We have example that less than 4 years old.

GeForce RTX 4060 Ti​ in the 40 series is not too bad because 1 bit of silicon is the 4G card and the other bit of silicon is the 16G card. Yes it another 2 bits of silicon one sales name.

If Nvidia sticks to form as Geforce 40 series ages we are going to have more cards that have multi silicon under the same retail sales name.

Yes it not fun to have to tell a person who bought a GeForce RTX 3060 Ti that they bought the 1 version of it that absolute suxes due to poor memory transfer speed and this is why their card cannot perform like the on-line reviews of the GeForce RTX 3060 Ti because the reviewers are using 1 of the other 3 other card options. These poor users are truly getting bated and switched.

There is example like this in 20 series and 10 series as well I know of. I don't know why we tolerate Nvidia doing these bate and switches.

GT710M is a really bad historic case because the silicon in the 2 different forms are from 2 completely different generations of Nvidia silicon design. But that does not make the ones where they are inside the same generation of silicon not bate and switch when there are quite major differences in performance.

Comment

• Originally posted by tenchrio View Post
            ​No the point is you are absolutely too foolish to understand the difference, you still don't get it. Also now all of a sudden gaming is relevant You truly are a hypocrite. The fact they are old cards means that open source drivers are the best bet to keep them usable but due to circumstances created by Nvidia there is a problem with where you basically need to be lucky enough to have 1 variant over the other without ever having had the choice. The cards have the exact same name but different chips and capabilities which stop people from using them fully with open source drivers (it really isn't complicated unless you are insanely dumb ).

We aren't ignoring your points, we are calling them what they are: irrelevant (and also poorly constructed, having near 7800XT performance doesn't mean it has to be called a 7800 card, the branding names are marketing anyway such a childish thing to bring up).

But then you come barging in here again, like the biased obnoxious child that you are and bring up a completely unrelated AMD card and go "bUt AmD iS bAd tOo". And the second anyone even slightly disagrees with you, you cry and bring up incredible bad research with poor reasoning and start calling everyone AMD fanboys, fools and biased (while demonstrating how little you actually know on the subject) because the truth is that you are just an AMD hater that can't live with the fact that Nvidia is being criticized on something so you need to bring up AMD for your own delusional satisfaction, regardless if it is on topic or not and incapable of admitting there is a difference so you result to name calling.

Despite oiaohm treating you with respect, the same I once did, you feel a need to name call him too but you don't deserve it because you always name call and can never admit you are in the wrong, it is just laughable, you are Dunning-Kruger incarnate. It shows how much you hate AMD that you must bash them and keep trying to defend that your unrelated hate for the 7900GRE is exactly the same as our criticism of Nvidia splitting silicon like that which combined with their denying of automatic reclock for a lot of architectures that are EOL or near EOL makes for a very confusing list of what is and isn't fully supported by the open source drivers which is something Nvidia can fix by giving us literally anything (firmware, source cod etc) to enable automatic reclocking for those architectures, it really is an Nvidia only issue.

You still don't understand the naming, performance and all that other shit you cry about the 7900GRE is irrelevant, even children understand: you consistently know what you are getting with that card even if it is a cut down 7900 XT/XTX with the performance equivalence of a 7800 XT.
            Let me break it down in the simplest terms possible:[/LIST]
            Blah, blah, blah, more bs from you so that you can insult - as that is all you do. I agree with oiaohm and prefer discussing with him because he's above insulting unlike you.

I do understand the chip difference but regardless, it doesn't change the fact the 7900 GRE was named under the 7900 series and is heavily gimped - your average consumer probably won't have any idea and might be assuming near-7900 XT performance - which it DOES NOT come close.

The reason I didn't care much about the 710 and 1030 fiasco is because Nvidia is already not really compliant or known for supporting open source anyway - they're already hated for this - so, the chip thing isn't very surprising from them. I shopped for a GT 1030 a while ago when I had an old sff Dell - so, I was aware of what they did with it. Since, I was looking for used card and refused to buy new - partly because it was overly expensive for a small form factor gpu, partly because of what Nvidia DID - so, I was not contributing to Nvidia revenues and profit!

It's basically a gpu to get video, imho - so, it's pretty pathetic they'd cripple that one and to save money further, use the wrong tech/chip with it. But, that's Nvidia? So, yes, the fact it's not a gaming chip - I think it is RELEVANT! More ppl will buy a gaming card so more ppl will likely be buying the 7900 'Rabbit card' - which is not really a 7900 series 'under the hood' - with defective chips, also - we all agree, right? The semantics of arguing it's 'still a 7900' notwithstanding. I already posted a number of ppl discussing it that proven without doubt, it's only a 7900 in name - since, there's a bunch of gimping done because it was silicon they could still savage.

I don't hate AMD - well, maybe somewhat - because they refuse to support their hardware and neglect the software side - they don't support programs in the productivity sphere - so, yeah, they are like Nvidia in that they put profit and shortcuts above a good hardware/good software stack. Their processors are good - if I was buying a new PC or build, I'd definitely pick AM5 today.

The GPU at the heart of the China-exclusive AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE (Golden Rabbit Edition) sparked much curiosity. It is a physically different GPU from the one found in desktop Radeon RX 7900 XT and RX 7900 XTX graphics cards. AMD wouldn't go through all that effort designing a whole different GPU ...

Several links detail the tech differences. I'd give the gpu a hard pass - most ppl just care about gaming performance and the price.

Comment

I do understand the chip difference but regardless, it doesn't change the fact the 7900 GRE was named under the 7900 series and is heavily gimped - your average consumer probably won't have any idea and might be assuming near-7900 XT performance - which it DOES NOT come close.
              Also the 7900GRE AMD has priced as if it a updated 7800TX. So the price tag of the 7900GRE is not close to the 7900XT either.

RX 7900GRE is 599.99​ USD card.
              RX 7900TX is $936.71 USD​ card
              $936.71​ USD card
              This is you amazon PowerColor Red Devil Hell hounds.
              Had to go to a lower fighter class card to get
              PowerColor Fighter AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT is USD $489.99​ The fighter is a 100 USD cheaper heatsink than the Red Devils. Recommend retail has 50USD difference between the RX7900GRE and the RX 7800XT of the same type.

RX 7900GRE is performance from the benchmarks is on majority of the time slightly better than you RX7800. You would say the RX7900GRE is priced for the performance it in fact gives.

GPUs AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE GPU Review & Benchmarks vs. RX 7900 XT, 7800 XT, RTX 4070 Super March 11, 2024 Last Updated: 2024-03-11 Previously only released in China, the 7900 GRE is now available more widely. We put it to the test. The Highlights With 80 Compute Units, the 7900 GRE has less CUs than the 7900 XT but more than the 7800 XTIts closest NVIDIA competitor is the RTX 4070, which holds a significant advantage in some ray tracing workloadsThe 7900 GRE generally performs equidistant between the RX 7900 XT and 7800 XTOriginal MSRP: $550Release Date: February 27, 2024 (international release) Table of Contents AutoTOC Grab a LIMITED RUN GamersNexus T-Shirt in Charcoal Heather or 100% Cotton! This shirt features band-style "tour dates" on the back, detailing the most disappointing moments in PC hardware for all of 2023. They also have an explosion diagram of a RAM module on the front. Buying these directly funds our AD-FREE website reviews and our in-depth testing. Charcoal Heather is ultra comfortable and still in stock! Once these are gone, we will not be restocking them! Intro AMD liked its 7900 GRE so much that it’s launching it a second time, this time to the rest of the world. The card originally shipped to China, adopting the naming “Golden Rabbit Edition” for the launch, and we actually bought it last year -- but because of its limited availability, we never got around to reviewing it. AMD has changed its mind and is now making the 7900 GRE available at an MSRP of $550 for the rest of the world. That’s a huge change, because the card slots-in and shuffles the stack at the now-critical battleground of $500-$600, which NVIDIA is currently heavily occupying with its doubled-up RTX 4070 and 4070 Super. The RX 7900 GRE allows AMD to now offer more selection in the same price range, giving NVIDIA some competition that we think is deserving of coverage.Intel Arc is absent in this price category, but we just ran a revisit of it for those interested in performance. Editor's note: This was originally published on February 26, 2024 as a video. This content has been adapted to written format for this article and is unchanged from the original publication. Credits Test Lead, Host, Writing Steve Burke Testing Mike Gaglione Camera, Video Editing Vitalii Makhnovets Video Editing Tim Phetdara Web Editing Jimmy Thang AMD RX 7900 GRE Overview This card has already launched so it isn’t a new GPU, but it’s now more widely available and is worth talking about.  There are more partner models available now than at its original launch.  The $550 price mark anchors it right against the RTX 4070 (watch our review) and 4070 Super (read our review). It may displace the 7800 XT. We wouldn’t be surprised to see its price drop alongside the 7700 XT. Specs Differences Here’s a quick overview of the specs. AMD RX 7900 XT, 7900 GRE, & 7800 XT Specs AMD RX 7900 XTAMD RX 7900 GREAMD RX 7800 XTGPU DieNavi 31Navi 31Navi 32ArchitectureRDNA 3RDNA 3RDNA 3Memory Capacity20GB G616GB G616GB G6Memory Bus320-bit256-bit256-bitMemory Bandwidth800GB/s576GB/s624GB/sCompute Units (CUs)848060Stream Processors537651203840RT Cores848060TMUs336320240ROPs19219296"Game" / Boost2000-2400MHz1880-2245MHz2124-2430MHzAMD Rated Board Power315W260W263W The RX 7900 GRE has 80 Compute Units, which is cut down from 84 on the 7900 XT and boosted from 60 on the 7800 XT. The gap between the 7800 XT (watch our review) and 7900 GRE will primarily emerge in situations where the compute workload is higher, although the 7900 GRE’s clocks are lower than the 7800 XT by pure spec sheet. Partner models can boost this higher, however, and will make-up for the difference. TDP is about the same between these cards, hence the lower power budget available for boosting while carrying more CUs than the 7800 XT. Memory bandwidth is also superior on the 7800 XT as a result of higher memory clocks. The 7900 XT’s main advantage is the hugely increased memory bandwidth. Current GPU Pricing & Alternatives It’d help to get a quick pricing update to understand the closest alternatives.  The RX 7900 GRE should be $550 when it hits retailers worldwide. The RX 7900 XT (read our revisit) has finally fallen in price -- again -- and seems to be stable at around $730 to $750, but we’ve seen some options occasionally hit $700. At $700, it’s becoming a good overall value. But even that is $150 more expensive than the base 7900 GRE price, so they’re different price classes. The RX 7800 XT has an MSRP of $500 and currently has units from $490 to $500 with regular availability. That’ll be the closest price alternative to the 7900 GRE at $50 cheaper. NVIDIA’s closest price competitors would be the RTX 4070 Super at the upper end, at $590 and up. Decent cards can be had at $600. The RTX 4070 wasn’t discontinued and has been kept at around $550 officially, but we saw a few models around $525 to $540 on Newegg. As for the third player in the market, Intel’s closest card would be the Arc A770 at $290 to $300. This is a distant price class and isn’t really competition for someone seeking to spend in the $500+ range, but check out our recent Arc revisit for our thoughts on it. Let’s get into the benchmarks. GPU Reviews Test Bench PartComponentProvided ByCPUIntel Core i7-12700KF Overclocked(4.9GHz P-Cores, 3.9GHz E-Cores)Bought by GNMotherboardMSI Z690 UnifyMSIRAMDDR5-6000 G.Skill Trident Z (manually tightened timings)G.SkillCoolerArctic Liquid Freezer II 360 @ 100% Fan SpeedBought by GNPSUEVGA 1600W T2 SupernovaCorsair AX1600iEVGACorsairOSWindows 11Bought by GN Additional parameters include: Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling and ReBAR both enabled. Power plan set to High Performance. Note: Acoustic testing uses a bench with 0 fans, so passive PSU + coolers. Grab a GN Soldering & Project Mat for a high-quality work surface with extreme heat resistance. These purchases directly fund our operation, including our build-out of the hemi-anechoic chamber for our acoustic testing! (or consider a direct donation or a Patreon contribution!) AMD RX 7900 GRE Game Benchmarks Resident Evil 4 1080p Benchmarks In Resident Evil 4 at 1080p, the RX 7900 GRE landed at 223 FPS AVG, which has it between the RTX 4070 Super and the RX 6950 XT (watch our review). The 6950 XT was about $600 when we last saw it available new. The 4070 Super is currently $590 to $600, so the 7900 GRE ends up cheaper here while outperforming the 4070 Super by 3.1%. It’s not likely to be noticeable, but it is a real advantage (and the price is noticeable). That means the 4070 Ti Super leads by 13%, with the 7900 XT 17% ahead of the 7900 GRE. Lower down the stack, the 6800 XT remains an impressive performer and sits just below the 4070 Super, with the 7800 XT at 198 FPS AVG, giving the 7900 GRE a 13% lead. 1440p Benchmarks At 1440p, the 7900 GRE’s 157 FPS AVG has it 10% ahead of the 4070 Super, a significant boost from its 1080p lead of 3.1%. Going up to the RX 7900 XT would get you about 17% more performance for the price hike. Dropping down to the 7800 XT, we see an advantage form for the 7900 GRE of 15%.  Other notables include the RX 6950 XT, which is about equal to the 7900 GRE, and the original RTX 4070 Ti, also about equal. Uplift over something older, like the RTX 2070 (watch our review) at 58 FPS AVG, would yield a 170% improvement to the GRE. 4K Benchmarks At 4K, the RX 7900 GRE ran at 82 FPS AVG and landed between the 4070 Ti and 4070 Ti “Meh edition,” the latter of which was about tied with the 6950 XT as well. The 7900 GRE now leads the 4070 Super by an impressive 15.6%. That’s why we test at all three of these resolutions: As we’ve seen in the past, NVIDIA’s new non-flagship 40-series cards struggle to keep scaling as the resolution increases. AMD has a disproportionate advantage against the 4070 Super here.  Buying up to the 7900 XT would give a boost of 19% with these settings. This is worth considering but the price hike is definitely noticeable.  Rainbow Six Siege 4K Benchmarks Rainbow Six Siege is up now. First at 4K, the RX 7900 GRE ran at about 154 FPS AVG. That’s the same as the 4070 Super and behind the 3080 Ti (watch our review). The 7900 XT leads the 7900 GRE by about 23% here, a noteworthy advantage attached to a noteworthy price increase of about 27-30%. Against the 7800 XT, the 7900 GRE leads by 6.3%, or in terms of the absolute, 9 FPS average. The 7900 GRE falls exactly where you’d expect -- between the 7900 XT and 7800 XT -- but in this case, it’s more similar to the 7800 XT than the 7900 XT. 1440p Benchmarks Moving on to 1440p, the 7900 GRE runs about 7% ahead of the 4070 Super. The 7900 XT’s lead over the 7900 GRE this time is about 14%. Generally speaking, the 7900 XT starts to produce a meaningful uplift here, with the 4070 Ti Super not particularly meaningfully different in this title; however, that changes in ray tracing later. As an upgrade, the 7900 GRE produces an appreciable improvement over the last-gen 3070 (although the 3070 is still perfectly fine – watch our review) and over AMD’s RX 6700 XT. 1080p Benchmarks At 1080p, the 7900 GRE is about tied with the 6950 XT, leads the 4070 Super marginally, and leads the 7800 XT by 4.6%. Overall though, this plays pretty well at 1080p on just about anything within the last few generations. Dying Light 2 4K Benchmarks Dying Light 2 is up now. At 4K, the RX 7900 GRE ran at 58 FPS AVG, which has it just barely hitting the minimum that most people target for framerate. Settings adjustments would fully accommodate 60 FPS. That has it about equal to the 4070 Ti and just ahead of the 4070 Super; however, realistically, all 3 of these devices produce about the same experience. Increasing budget to the 7900 XT would improve framerate by 18%. The 4070 Ti Super would yield a similar uplift. Against the RX 7800 XT, the 7900 GRE yields a 13% uplift. It’s almost perfectly in between the 7900 XT and 7800 XT. 1440p Benchmarks At 1440p, the RX 7900 GRE’s 118 FPS performance has it about equal to a 3080 Ti or 4070 Ti, with the 6950 XT slightly leading. The 7900 XT’s lead is only 14% here. The 7800 XT also happens to allow the 7900 GRE a 14% lead, planting it perfectly in between. As for the 4070 Super, the lead is about 6% while the price is lower for the GRE. 1080p Benchmarks At 1080p, the 7900 GRE’s lead over the 4070 Super evaporates as the two cards converge to functional equivalence. The 7900 XT and the 7800 XT position themselves equidistant from the 7900 GRE, with the superior card in each scenario leading by about 12-14%. FFXIV 4K Benchmarks We’re moving on to Final Fantasy 14 now. At 4K, the 7900 GRE runs at 98 FPS AVG and produces the same overall experience as the RX 6800 XT and RTX 3080 (watch our review). The 4070 Super leads this time, now by 7%.  The GRE is less centered between its AMD peers this time: The 7900 XT leads by a noteworthy 27%, with the 7800 XT getting led by about 13%. NVIDIA’s alternatives include, again, the 4070 Super, with the 4070 Ti Super ranking a little ahead of the 7900 XT. Upgrades from RTX 2060 (watch our review) or RTX 2070 (watch our review) class cards would be meaningful, but anything more modern can wait another generation or two. 1440p Benchmarks At 1440p, the 7900 XT begins running into overhead in this particular game, as we’ve talked about before. That extends to 1080p. The 7900 GRE therefore lands closer to it than when outside of these conditions, although the GRE still fully scales -- so its lead over the 7800 XT remains about 10%. The 4070 Super outperforms the GRE here. They swap positions depending on the game. GTA V 4K Benchmarks GTA V at 4K is one of the charts we keep around for generational comparison data because our results don’t ever change -- you can see the 5700 XT here as an example of that.  The 7900 GRE runs at about 106 FPS AVG, which has it leading the 4070 by a slight 3.7%. The 4070 Super leads again in this one, at 118 FPS AVG and establishing an 11% uplift. The 7900 XT has another one of its stronger leads in this test, with the 4K resolution contributing, up at 24% advantage over the GRE, closer to parity with the price increase. Against the 7800 XT, the 7900 GRE is relatively close this time: It’s an 8% lead. As for the 5700 XT (watch our review), the 7900 GRE improves over the former flagship by 94%. It’s about 2x the framerate. For a reminder, Intel Arc struggles with our test settings in this game. Disabling MSAA for Intel Arc improves its performance disproportionately from the impact to AMD and NVIDIA. Starfield 4K Benchmarks Starfield is up now. This is a title that AMD tends to do well with. At 4K, the 7900 GRE runs at about 60 FPS average. Lows are expected and consistent. The 4070 Super produced a 53 FPS result, giving the 7900 GRE a 9% lead this time. The 7800 XT is closer to the 4070 Super than the GRE, with the GRE holding a 13% lead. That’s similar to what we’ve seen elsewhere. The same is true for the 7900 XT, which keeps its 19% lead over the GRE. 1440p Benchmarks At 1440p, the 7900 GRE’s 91 FPS AVG has it just behind the 4070 Ti and Ti Super and leading the 4070 Super by 5%, reduced from 9% at 4K. This continues NVIDIA’s trend of sometimes suffering disproportionately at higher resolutions. Otherwise, the lineup remains comparable to before. We added the RTX 2080 to this chart, so you’ve got an extra data point you can use for this one. AMD RX 7900 GRE Ray Tracing Benchmarks Now we're moving on to ray tracing benchmarks. Some of these games are the same games but with RT and settings changed, so the numbers can't be transplanted between the charts. (RT) Cyberpunk  1080p/Medium Cyberpunk is our heaviest RT workload, so we’ll start there. We’ve also shown that AMD falls increasingly behind as the RT workload in this game increases. This is the lightest of the two settings we test, meant to represent a balanced option between the vendors. Ultra is next and is what allows NVIDIA to pull wildly ahead. At 1080p/Medium RT, the 7900 GRE runs at about 57 FPS AVG, giving the 7900 XT a 14% lead and leading the 7800 XT 13%. NVIDIA is where it gets interesting: The 4070 Super now leads the 7900 GRE by a more remarkable 34%. If you really care about super heavy ray tracing, especially in Cyberpunk or games like Dying Light, then NVIDIA still maintains the advantage. But in lighter RT games coming up, it evens out. Just depends on the load. Arc actually does extremely well in Cyberpunk with RT, roughly equating the 4060 with the much cheaper A770 GPU. This is due to architectural choices the Intel team made. Unfortunately, since the stack stops at the A770, they don’t have anything up at the 7900 GRE levels of competition. 1080p/Ultra At 1080p and with Ultra RT settings, the 7900 GRE falls to 40 FPS AVG, this time leading the 7800 XT by 17% and with the 7900 XT about 12% ahead of the GRE. But this is what we were talking about: Even the RTX 4070 non-Super is outperforming the 7900 XTX here, with the 4070 Super now benefiting from an overwhelming advantage of 63% over the 7900 GRE. It’s not even close anymore. (RT) Resident Evil 4 4K Benchmarks Resident Evil 4 is way, way kinder to the AMD stack. This is more representative of lighter-weight RT workloads and we’re using FSR Quality on all devices here. The RX 7900 GRE’s 91 FPS AVG result has it about equal with the 4070 Ti (watch our review) and 6950 XT, producing the same experience. The 7900 XT leads the 7900 GRE by 17% in this one, with the 7800 XT’s 83 FPS AVG giving a 10% lead to the GRE. Notably, the GRE leads the 4070 Super this time around, which itself is about tied with the 7800 XT. 1440p Benchmarks At 1440p, the GRE ran at 137 FPS AVG and fell behind the 4070 Super, although they’re less than 3% apart. Otherwise, everything else is predictable on the AMD side -- the 7900 XT and 7800 XT remain the flanks, and on the NVIDIA side, AMD is more competitive here than previously. That’s especially true now that the 7900 XT has dropped and held its cheaper price. 1080p Benchmarks At 1080p, the 4070 Super continues its upward trajectory and gains an 8% advantage over the GRE. As we’ve seen elsewhere, the AMD part is benefited by the higher resolution here, while NVIDIA benefits from the lower resolution. (RT) Dying Light 2 1080p Benchmarks In Dying Light 2 with ray tracing, we’re back to a performance disparity closer to the Cyberpunk Medium results. Starting with 1080p, the RTX 4070 Super’s 119 FPS AVG leads the 7900 GRE by a comparatively staggering 24%. For the times AMD led this card in rasterization, NVIDIA is definitely trying to make it up in some of these RT loads. Positioning against the 7800 XT is the same as before: The GRE is about 14% better. 1440p Benchmarks At 1440p, the 7900 GRE runs at about 65 FPS AVG. It’s still capable of this game with RT when using FSR quality like this. The 4070 Super keeps its 24% lead. The 7900 XT and 7800 XT remain positionally the same as before, with the 4070 non-Super ahead of the GRE now. AMD RX 7900 GRE Power Consumption For power consumption, this is pretty quick. The 7900 GRE that we tested measured out about 270 watts when it was under a complete workload. The 7900 XT was around 313 just for reference. The 4070 Super, which was the closest competitor in the rasterized testing, was at 222 watts so NVIDIA definitely holds an efficiency advantage here. And then the 7900 XT with the Hellhound partner model card was at 330 watts.  AMD RX 7900 GRE Conclusion Visit our Patreon page to contribute a few dollars toward this website's operation (or consider a direct donation or buying something from our GN Store!) Additionally, when you purchase through links to retailers on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. The AMD RX 7900 GRE performs exactly as you’d expect: Generally speaking, it’s often equidistant from the RX 7900 XT and RX 7800 XT. Some scenarios that are more memory bandwidth-constrained or core clock sensitive allow the 7800 XT to get closer to the GRE and the 7900 XT to pull ahead more notably. The 7900 GRE trades places with the 4070 Super in many of the rasterized tests we ran. It also is disproportionately favored at 4K in some of these tests, where NVIDIA’s bandwidth choices allow it to slip in the ranks and lose some of that proportional scaling it has at 1080p.  NVIDIA holds a significant advantage in some of the RT workloads, to the extent that you really should strongly consider going that route if heavy RT games -- like Cyberpunk -- are part of your play plans. If not, or if the RT games you’re interested in are more focused on singular features or reduced RT strain overall, then the relevance is reduced. Again, this isn’t a new card, but we do think it’s relevant as a competitor to the NVIDIA 4070-class cards.

The gamersnexus write up is important.

7900 XT 17% faster than the 7900 GRE. But remember you are paying 1/3 less for the GRE. Performance per dollar 7900GRE is better buying than the 7900TX.
              7900 GRE a 13% faster than the RX7800TX. At recommend retail price on performance vs price the 7900GRE is better buying than the RX7800TX. Now lot of cases you are not buying at recommend retail price so RX7800TX in some cases could be better buying in performance vs price.

Its kind of surprising for how much is cut out of the 7900GRE that is only a 17% performance loss from the RX7900XT back to it.. Think there is over a 20% between the RX7900TX and the RX7900XTX

In reality the 7900GRE performs good enough to be a historic non TX/XTX card. It would have been a lot worse if AMD had just label it RX7900 and called it done. Yes the card has the performance for that.

You are not thinking that its ~20% performance difference between the TX and the XTX with AMD and that it should be 20-30% back to the not titled card. We have not seen AMD releasing non titled cards in recent years.

Consumers would be more confused if AMD had just released a non titled card after all these years because people would over presume how much untitled card performs.. They created a new title the GRE.

Panix being near china I have seen different AMD cards for only the china market that don't have TX/XTX on them that are the 20-30% slower to the TX versions from older generations of course normally only in small batches(the duds). We have got use to not seeing the duds in markets outside china. Something really gone wrong with the 31 die production has to have had a lot of duds for the GRE to be coming into the Weston market. I say they suspected this case when they started making the GRE card this is why the GRE marking from the start instead of the normal nothing marking.

Yes the navi 31 die is the first time AMD has attempted to mass produce a multi chip GPU.

Yes the 7900GRE performance is lot closer to the 7900TX than one would suspect reading the specification sheet for what has been cut out. Also AMD priced as if RX7900GRE was 30% slower and turned out not to be. .

Comment

• Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Also the 7900GRE AMD has priced as if it a updated 7800TX. So the price tag of the 7900GRE is not close to the 7900XT either.

RX 7900GRE is 599.99​ USD card.
                RX 7900TX is $936.71 USD​ card
                $936.71​ USD card
                This is you amazon PowerColor Red Devil Hell hounds.
                Had to go to a lower fighter class card to get
                PowerColor Fighter AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT is USD $489.99​ The fighter is a 100 USD cheaper heatsink than the Red Devils. Recommend retail has 50USD difference between the RX7900GRE and the RX 7800XT of the same type.

RX 7900GRE is performance from the benchmarks is on majority of the time slightly better than you RX7800. You would say the RX7900GRE is priced for the performance it in fact gives.

GPUs AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE GPU Review & Benchmarks vs. RX 7900 XT, 7800 XT, RTX 4070 Super March 11, 2024 Last Updated: 2024-03-11 Previously only released in China, the 7900 GRE is now available more widely. We put it to the test. The Highlights With 80 Compute Units, the 7900 GRE has less CUs than the 7900 XT but more than the 7800 XTIts closest NVIDIA competitor is the RTX 4070, which holds a significant advantage in some ray tracing workloadsThe 7900 GRE generally performs equidistant between the RX 7900 XT and 7800 XTOriginal MSRP: $550Release Date: February 27, 2024 (international release) Table of Contents AutoTOC Grab a LIMITED RUN GamersNexus T-Shirt in Charcoal Heather or 100% Cotton! This shirt features band-style "tour dates" on the back, detailing the most disappointing moments in PC hardware for all of 2023. They also have an explosion diagram of a RAM module on the front. Buying these directly funds our AD-FREE website reviews and our in-depth testing. Charcoal Heather is ultra comfortable and still in stock! Once these are gone, we will not be restocking them! Intro AMD liked its 7900 GRE so much that it’s launching it a second time, this time to the rest of the world. The card originally shipped to China, adopting the naming “Golden Rabbit Edition” for the launch, and we actually bought it last year -- but because of its limited availability, we never got around to reviewing it. AMD has changed its mind and is now making the 7900 GRE available at an MSRP of $550 for the rest of the world. That’s a huge change, because the card slots-in and shuffles the stack at the now-critical battleground of $500-$600, which NVIDIA is currently heavily occupying with its doubled-up RTX 4070 and 4070 Super. The RX 7900 GRE allows AMD to now offer more selection in the same price range, giving NVIDIA some competition that we think is deserving of coverage.Intel Arc is absent in this price category, but we just ran a revisit of it for those interested in performance. Editor's note: This was originally published on February 26, 2024 as a video. This content has been adapted to written format for this article and is unchanged from the original publication. Credits Test Lead, Host, Writing Steve Burke Testing Mike Gaglione Camera, Video Editing Vitalii Makhnovets Video Editing Tim Phetdara Web Editing Jimmy Thang AMD RX 7900 GRE Overview This card has already launched so it isn’t a new GPU, but it’s now more widely available and is worth talking about.  There are more partner models available now than at its original launch.  The $550 price mark anchors it right against the RTX 4070 (watch our review) and 4070 Super (read our review). It may displace the 7800 XT. We wouldn’t be surprised to see its price drop alongside the 7700 XT. Specs Differences Here’s a quick overview of the specs. AMD RX 7900 XT, 7900 GRE, & 7800 XT Specs AMD RX 7900 XTAMD RX 7900 GREAMD RX 7800 XTGPU DieNavi 31Navi 31Navi 32ArchitectureRDNA 3RDNA 3RDNA 3Memory Capacity20GB G616GB G616GB G6Memory Bus320-bit256-bit256-bitMemory Bandwidth800GB/s576GB/s624GB/sCompute Units (CUs)848060Stream Processors537651203840RT Cores848060TMUs336320240ROPs19219296"Game" / Boost2000-2400MHz1880-2245MHz2124-2430MHzAMD Rated Board Power315W260W263W The RX 7900 GRE has 80 Compute Units, which is cut down from 84 on the 7900 XT and boosted from 60 on the 7800 XT. The gap between the 7800 XT (watch our review) and 7900 GRE will primarily emerge in situations where the compute workload is higher, although the 7900 GRE’s clocks are lower than the 7800 XT by pure spec sheet. Partner models can boost this higher, however, and will make-up for the difference. TDP is about the same between these cards, hence the lower power budget available for boosting while carrying more CUs than the 7800 XT. Memory bandwidth is also superior on the 7800 XT as a result of higher memory clocks. The 7900 XT’s main advantage is the hugely increased memory bandwidth. Current GPU Pricing & Alternatives It’d help to get a quick pricing update to understand the closest alternatives.  The RX 7900 GRE should be $550 when it hits retailers worldwide. The RX 7900 XT (read our revisit) has finally fallen in price -- again -- and seems to be stable at around $730 to $750, but we’ve seen some options occasionally hit $700. At $700, it’s becoming a good overall value. But even that is $150 more expensive than the base 7900 GRE price, so they’re different price classes. The RX 7800 XT has an MSRP of $500 and currently has units from $490 to $500 with regular availability. That’ll be the closest price alternative to the 7900 GRE at $50 cheaper. NVIDIA’s closest price competitors would be the RTX 4070 Super at the upper end, at $590 and up. Decent cards can be had at $600. The RTX 4070 wasn’t discontinued and has been kept at around $550 officially, but we saw a few models around $525 to $540 on Newegg. As for the third player in the market, Intel’s closest card would be the Arc A770 at $290 to $300. This is a distant price class and isn’t really competition for someone seeking to spend in the $500+ range, but check out our recent Arc revisit for our thoughts on it. Let’s get into the benchmarks. GPU Reviews Test Bench PartComponentProvided ByCPUIntel Core i7-12700KF Overclocked(4.9GHz P-Cores, 3.9GHz E-Cores)Bought by GNMotherboardMSI Z690 UnifyMSIRAMDDR5-6000 G.Skill Trident Z (manually tightened timings)G.SkillCoolerArctic Liquid Freezer II 360 @ 100% Fan SpeedBought by GNPSUEVGA 1600W T2 SupernovaCorsair AX1600iEVGACorsairOSWindows 11Bought by GN Additional parameters include: Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling and ReBAR both enabled. Power plan set to High Performance. Note: Acoustic testing uses a bench with 0 fans, so passive PSU + coolers. Grab a GN Soldering & Project Mat for a high-quality work surface with extreme heat resistance. These purchases directly fund our operation, including our build-out of the hemi-anechoic chamber for our acoustic testing! (or consider a direct donation or a Patreon contribution!) AMD RX 7900 GRE Game Benchmarks Resident Evil 4 1080p Benchmarks In Resident Evil 4 at 1080p, the RX 7900 GRE landed at 223 FPS AVG, which has it between the RTX 4070 Super and the RX 6950 XT (watch our review). The 6950 XT was about $600 when we last saw it available new. The 4070 Super is currently $590 to $600, so the 7900 GRE ends up cheaper here while outperforming the 4070 Super by 3.1%. It’s not likely to be noticeable, but it is a real advantage (and the price is noticeable). That means the 4070 Ti Super leads by 13%, with the 7900 XT 17% ahead of the 7900 GRE. Lower down the stack, the 6800 XT remains an impressive performer and sits just below the 4070 Super, with the 7800 XT at 198 FPS AVG, giving the 7900 GRE a 13% lead. 1440p Benchmarks At 1440p, the 7900 GRE’s 157 FPS AVG has it 10% ahead of the 4070 Super, a significant boost from its 1080p lead of 3.1%. Going up to the RX 7900 XT would get you about 17% more performance for the price hike. Dropping down to the 7800 XT, we see an advantage form for the 7900 GRE of 15%.  Other notables include the RX 6950 XT, which is about equal to the 7900 GRE, and the original RTX 4070 Ti, also about equal. Uplift over something older, like the RTX 2070 (watch our review) at 58 FPS AVG, would yield a 170% improvement to the GRE. 4K Benchmarks At 4K, the RX 7900 GRE ran at 82 FPS AVG and landed between the 4070 Ti and 4070 Ti “Meh edition,” the latter of which was about tied with the 6950 XT as well. The 7900 GRE now leads the 4070 Super by an impressive 15.6%. That’s why we test at all three of these resolutions: As we’ve seen in the past, NVIDIA’s new non-flagship 40-series cards struggle to keep scaling as the resolution increases. AMD has a disproportionate advantage against the 4070 Super here.  Buying up to the 7900 XT would give a boost of 19% with these settings. This is worth considering but the price hike is definitely noticeable.  Rainbow Six Siege 4K Benchmarks Rainbow Six Siege is up now. First at 4K, the RX 7900 GRE ran at about 154 FPS AVG. That’s the same as the 4070 Super and behind the 3080 Ti (watch our review). The 7900 XT leads the 7900 GRE by about 23% here, a noteworthy advantage attached to a noteworthy price increase of about 27-30%. Against the 7800 XT, the 7900 GRE leads by 6.3%, or in terms of the absolute, 9 FPS average. The 7900 GRE falls exactly where you’d expect -- between the 7900 XT and 7800 XT -- but in this case, it’s more similar to the 7800 XT than the 7900 XT. 1440p Benchmarks Moving on to 1440p, the 7900 GRE runs about 7% ahead of the 4070 Super. The 7900 XT’s lead over the 7900 GRE this time is about 14%. Generally speaking, the 7900 XT starts to produce a meaningful uplift here, with the 4070 Ti Super not particularly meaningfully different in this title; however, that changes in ray tracing later. As an upgrade, the 7900 GRE produces an appreciable improvement over the last-gen 3070 (although the 3070 is still perfectly fine – watch our review) and over AMD’s RX 6700 XT. 1080p Benchmarks At 1080p, the 7900 GRE is about tied with the 6950 XT, leads the 4070 Super marginally, and leads the 7800 XT by 4.6%. Overall though, this plays pretty well at 1080p on just about anything within the last few generations. Dying Light 2 4K Benchmarks Dying Light 2 is up now. At 4K, the RX 7900 GRE ran at 58 FPS AVG, which has it just barely hitting the minimum that most people target for framerate. Settings adjustments would fully accommodate 60 FPS. That has it about equal to the 4070 Ti and just ahead of the 4070 Super; however, realistically, all 3 of these devices produce about the same experience. Increasing budget to the 7900 XT would improve framerate by 18%. The 4070 Ti Super would yield a similar uplift. Against the RX 7800 XT, the 7900 GRE yields a 13% uplift. It’s almost perfectly in between the 7900 XT and 7800 XT. 1440p Benchmarks At 1440p, the RX 7900 GRE’s 118 FPS performance has it about equal to a 3080 Ti or 4070 Ti, with the 6950 XT slightly leading. The 7900 XT’s lead is only 14% here. The 7800 XT also happens to allow the 7900 GRE a 14% lead, planting it perfectly in between. As for the 4070 Super, the lead is about 6% while the price is lower for the GRE. 1080p Benchmarks At 1080p, the 7900 GRE’s lead over the 4070 Super evaporates as the two cards converge to functional equivalence. The 7900 XT and the 7800 XT position themselves equidistant from the 7900 GRE, with the superior card in each scenario leading by about 12-14%. FFXIV 4K Benchmarks We’re moving on to Final Fantasy 14 now. At 4K, the 7900 GRE runs at 98 FPS AVG and produces the same overall experience as the RX 6800 XT and RTX 3080 (watch our review). The 4070 Super leads this time, now by 7%.  The GRE is less centered between its AMD peers this time: The 7900 XT leads by a noteworthy 27%, with the 7800 XT getting led by about 13%. NVIDIA’s alternatives include, again, the 4070 Super, with the 4070 Ti Super ranking a little ahead of the 7900 XT. Upgrades from RTX 2060 (watch our review) or RTX 2070 (watch our review) class cards would be meaningful, but anything more modern can wait another generation or two. 1440p Benchmarks At 1440p, the 7900 XT begins running into overhead in this particular game, as we’ve talked about before. That extends to 1080p. The 7900 GRE therefore lands closer to it than when outside of these conditions, although the GRE still fully scales -- so its lead over the 7800 XT remains about 10%. The 4070 Super outperforms the GRE here. They swap positions depending on the game. GTA V 4K Benchmarks GTA V at 4K is one of the charts we keep around for generational comparison data because our results don’t ever change -- you can see the 5700 XT here as an example of that.  The 7900 GRE runs at about 106 FPS AVG, which has it leading the 4070 by a slight 3.7%. The 4070 Super leads again in this one, at 118 FPS AVG and establishing an 11% uplift. The 7900 XT has another one of its stronger leads in this test, with the 4K resolution contributing, up at 24% advantage over the GRE, closer to parity with the price increase. Against the 7800 XT, the 7900 GRE is relatively close this time: It’s an 8% lead. As for the 5700 XT (watch our review), the 7900 GRE improves over the former flagship by 94%. It’s about 2x the framerate. For a reminder, Intel Arc struggles with our test settings in this game. Disabling MSAA for Intel Arc improves its performance disproportionately from the impact to AMD and NVIDIA. Starfield 4K Benchmarks Starfield is up now. This is a title that AMD tends to do well with. At 4K, the 7900 GRE runs at about 60 FPS average. Lows are expected and consistent. The 4070 Super produced a 53 FPS result, giving the 7900 GRE a 9% lead this time. The 7800 XT is closer to the 4070 Super than the GRE, with the GRE holding a 13% lead. That’s similar to what we’ve seen elsewhere. The same is true for the 7900 XT, which keeps its 19% lead over the GRE. 1440p Benchmarks At 1440p, the 7900 GRE’s 91 FPS AVG has it just behind the 4070 Ti and Ti Super and leading the 4070 Super by 5%, reduced from 9% at 4K. This continues NVIDIA’s trend of sometimes suffering disproportionately at higher resolutions. Otherwise, the lineup remains comparable to before. We added the RTX 2080 to this chart, so you’ve got an extra data point you can use for this one. AMD RX 7900 GRE Ray Tracing Benchmarks Now we're moving on to ray tracing benchmarks. Some of these games are the same games but with RT and settings changed, so the numbers can't be transplanted between the charts. (RT) Cyberpunk  1080p/Medium Cyberpunk is our heaviest RT workload, so we’ll start there. We’ve also shown that AMD falls increasingly behind as the RT workload in this game increases. This is the lightest of the two settings we test, meant to represent a balanced option between the vendors. Ultra is next and is what allows NVIDIA to pull wildly ahead. At 1080p/Medium RT, the 7900 GRE runs at about 57 FPS AVG, giving the 7900 XT a 14% lead and leading the 7800 XT 13%. NVIDIA is where it gets interesting: The 4070 Super now leads the 7900 GRE by a more remarkable 34%. If you really care about super heavy ray tracing, especially in Cyberpunk or games like Dying Light, then NVIDIA still maintains the advantage. But in lighter RT games coming up, it evens out. Just depends on the load. Arc actually does extremely well in Cyberpunk with RT, roughly equating the 4060 with the much cheaper A770 GPU. This is due to architectural choices the Intel team made. Unfortunately, since the stack stops at the A770, they don’t have anything up at the 7900 GRE levels of competition. 1080p/Ultra At 1080p and with Ultra RT settings, the 7900 GRE falls to 40 FPS AVG, this time leading the 7800 XT by 17% and with the 7900 XT about 12% ahead of the GRE. But this is what we were talking about: Even the RTX 4070 non-Super is outperforming the 7900 XTX here, with the 4070 Super now benefiting from an overwhelming advantage of 63% over the 7900 GRE. It’s not even close anymore. (RT) Resident Evil 4 4K Benchmarks Resident Evil 4 is way, way kinder to the AMD stack. This is more representative of lighter-weight RT workloads and we’re using FSR Quality on all devices here. The RX 7900 GRE’s 91 FPS AVG result has it about equal with the 4070 Ti (watch our review) and 6950 XT, producing the same experience. The 7900 XT leads the 7900 GRE by 17% in this one, with the 7800 XT’s 83 FPS AVG giving a 10% lead to the GRE. Notably, the GRE leads the 4070 Super this time around, which itself is about tied with the 7800 XT. 1440p Benchmarks At 1440p, the GRE ran at 137 FPS AVG and fell behind the 4070 Super, although they’re less than 3% apart. Otherwise, everything else is predictable on the AMD side -- the 7900 XT and 7800 XT remain the flanks, and on the NVIDIA side, AMD is more competitive here than previously. That’s especially true now that the 7900 XT has dropped and held its cheaper price. 1080p Benchmarks At 1080p, the 4070 Super continues its upward trajectory and gains an 8% advantage over the GRE. As we’ve seen elsewhere, the AMD part is benefited by the higher resolution here, while NVIDIA benefits from the lower resolution. (RT) Dying Light 2 1080p Benchmarks In Dying Light 2 with ray tracing, we’re back to a performance disparity closer to the Cyberpunk Medium results. Starting with 1080p, the RTX 4070 Super’s 119 FPS AVG leads the 7900 GRE by a comparatively staggering 24%. For the times AMD led this card in rasterization, NVIDIA is definitely trying to make it up in some of these RT loads. Positioning against the 7800 XT is the same as before: The GRE is about 14% better. 1440p Benchmarks At 1440p, the 7900 GRE runs at about 65 FPS AVG. It’s still capable of this game with RT when using FSR quality like this. The 4070 Super keeps its 24% lead. The 7900 XT and 7800 XT remain positionally the same as before, with the 4070 non-Super ahead of the GRE now. AMD RX 7900 GRE Power Consumption For power consumption, this is pretty quick. The 7900 GRE that we tested measured out about 270 watts when it was under a complete workload. The 7900 XT was around 313 just for reference. The 4070 Super, which was the closest competitor in the rasterized testing, was at 222 watts so NVIDIA definitely holds an efficiency advantage here. And then the 7900 XT with the Hellhound partner model card was at 330 watts.  AMD RX 7900 GRE Conclusion Visit our Patreon page to contribute a few dollars toward this website's operation (or consider a direct donation or buying something from our GN Store!) Additionally, when you purchase through links to retailers on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. The AMD RX 7900 GRE performs exactly as you’d expect: Generally speaking, it’s often equidistant from the RX 7900 XT and RX 7800 XT. Some scenarios that are more memory bandwidth-constrained or core clock sensitive allow the 7800 XT to get closer to the GRE and the 7900 XT to pull ahead more notably. The 7900 GRE trades places with the 4070 Super in many of the rasterized tests we ran. It also is disproportionately favored at 4K in some of these tests, where NVIDIA’s bandwidth choices allow it to slip in the ranks and lose some of that proportional scaling it has at 1080p.  NVIDIA holds a significant advantage in some of the RT workloads, to the extent that you really should strongly consider going that route if heavy RT games -- like Cyberpunk -- are part of your play plans. If not, or if the RT games you’re interested in are more focused on singular features or reduced RT strain overall, then the relevance is reduced. Again, this isn’t a new card, but we do think it’s relevant as a competitor to the NVIDIA 4070-class cards.

The gamersnexus write up is important.

7900 XT 17% faster than the 7900 GRE. But remember you are paying 1/3 less for the GRE. Performance per dollar 7900GRE is better buying than the 7900TX.
                7900 GRE a 13% faster than the RX7800TX. At recommend retail price on performance vs price the 7900GRE is better buying than the RX7800TX. Now lot of cases you are not buying at recommend retail price so RX7800TX in some cases could be better buying in performance vs price.

Its kind of surprising for how much is cut out of the 7900GRE that is only a 17% performance loss from the RX7900XT back to it.. Think there is over a 20% between the RX7900TX and the RX7900XTX

In reality the 7900GRE performs good enough to be a historic non TX/XTX card. It would have been a lot worse if AMD had just label it RX7900 and called it done. Yes the card has the performance for that.

You are not thinking that its ~20% performance difference between the TX and the XTX with AMD and that it should be 20-30% back to the not titled card. We have not seen AMD releasing non titled cards in recent years.

Consumers would be more confused if AMD had just released a non titled card after all these years because people would over presume how much untitled card performs.. They created a new title the GRE.

Panix being near china I have seen different AMD cards for only the china market that don't have TX/XTX on them that are the 20-30% slower to the TX versions from older generations of course normally only in small batches(the duds). We have got use to not seeing the duds in markets outside china. Something really gone wrong with the 31 die production has to have had a lot of duds for the GRE to be coming into the Weston market. I say they suspected this case when they started making the GRE card this is why the GRE marking from the start instead of the normal nothing marking.

Yes the navi 31 die is the first time AMD has attempted to mass produce a multi chip GPU.

Yes the 7900GRE performance is lot closer to the 7900TX than one would suspect reading the specification sheet for what has been cut out. Also AMD priced as if RX7900GRE was 30% slower and turned out not to be. .
                Wrong again, Mr. Oiaohm.... I know you are trying but this is more evidence that AMD just doesn't care about the consumer and is pricing their hardware way too high - and they're just like Nvidia. Everything I've read indicates that the 7900 GRE is geared towards being a 2k or 1440p card. It's going against the 4070 and 4070 Super - one could argue it's a 'better pick' than the 4070 but that can't be said with a 4070 Super comparison.

In my country, the 4070 Super is only $40 more. The cheapest 7900 GRE is $750 and the cheapest 4070 Super is $790.

We've benchmarked the Radeon RX 7900 GRE and GeForce RTX 4070 Super across 58 different game configurations, taking an in-depth look at rasterization, ray tracing, and upscaling performance.

vs 4070:

The 4070 is a bit cheaper, here. Thus, when you compare tasks other than gaming, the 4070 Super is a much better choice. The only disadv. it has is lacking vram in comparison.

This is a typical 'loss' for AMD though - with their gpus. It's the typical pattern.

As for the 7800 xt - $680.
                Two of AMD's newly released graphic cards, specifically the RX 7800 XT vs RX 7900 GRE, are colliding to showcase their differences.

This review of the RX 7900 GRE, which AMD is now launching worldwide at $549, focuses on the performance vs the 7800 XT, which is a very similar graphics car...

It seems like there's around a 7-8 fps gain for the 7900 gre. Anyway, I don't care too much about these 2 cards - they seem mediocre to me - worse power efficiency than the 4070 series cards and weaker, overall performance.

Comment

Wrong again, Mr. Oiaohm.... I know you are trying but this is more evidence that AMD just doesn't care about the consumer and is pricing their hardware way too high - and they're just like Nvidia. Everything I've read indicates that the 7900 GRE is geared towards being a 2k or 1440p card. It's going against the 4070 and 4070 Super - one could argue it's a 'better pick' than the 4070 but that can't be said with a 4070 Super comparison.

In my country, the 4070 Super is only $40 more. The cheapest 7900 GRE is $750 and the cheapest 4070 Super is $790.

We've benchmarked the Radeon RX 7900 GRE and GeForce RTX 4070 Super across 58 different game configurations, taking an in-depth look at rasterization, ray tracing, and upscaling performance.

vs 4070:

The 4070 is a bit cheaper, here. Thus, when you compare tasks other than gaming, the 4070 Super is a much better choice. The only disadv. it has is lacking vram in comparison.

This is a typical 'loss' for AMD though - with their gpus. It's the typical pattern.

As for the 7800 xt - $680.
                  Two of AMD's newly released graphic cards, specifically the RX 7800 XT vs RX 7900 GRE, are colliding to showcase their differences.

This review of the RX 7900 GRE, which AMD is now launching worldwide at $549, focuses on the performance vs the 7800 XT, which is a very similar graphics car...

It seems like there's around a 7-8 fps gain for the 7900 gre. Anyway, I don't care too much about these 2 cards - they seem mediocre to me - worse power efficiency than the 4070 series cards and weaker, overall performance.
                  Well, the videos you linked are for Windows. As a Linux enthusiast, AMD is less trouble and as good (maybe better) performance on Linux. I would not buy Nvidia for Linux as it was a very frustrating experience for me. Just my 2c though, that is your money.

Comment

Blah, blah, blah, more bs from you so that you can insult - as that is all you do. I agree with oiaohm and prefer discussing with him because he's above insulting unlike you.
                    LOL so you can give but can't take, typical hyprocite.
                    And a reminder that you started with the insults once again with your "reading comprehension" and "this site is full of delusional AMD fanboys so no chance of that happening" as you probably already knew you were wrong deep inside. And the best part is now you admit it !! You admit it is different but have to continue arguing about the name of a card while it is unrelated to the topic that was discussed previously, but hey progress I guess.

That was never relevant to this thread, you just randomly brought it up to thread hijack because once again you have to hate on AMD, regardless of the topic, regardless of the news being discussed, you have for some reason a burning desire to bring AMD up and to bash it. The thread here was about the open source nouveau drivers of Nvidia and how particularly confusing it is getting with the automatic re-clocking what is and isn't supported under Nouveau (all thanks to Nvidia being actively in the way of the open source driver) . The card is clearly named differently, how about you using that reading comprehension of yours to read the name.

The reason I didn't care much about the 710 and 1030 fiasco is because Nvidia is already not really compliant or known for supporting open source anyway - they're already hated for this - so, the chip thing isn't very surprising from them.
                    Except that this discussion right here is about Nvidia slowly given us this compliance at least somewhat for Turing and newer. Which leaves us with a weird spot of Nvidia GPUs that have automatic reclock but don't use the new GSP firmware. We need it for Kepler because it is EOL, we want it for Maxwell as it is reaching EOL hence why it is relevant in this thread about the open source nvidia driver.

I shopped for a GT 1030 a while ago when I had an old sff Dell - so, I was aware of what they did with it. Since, I was looking for used card and refused to buy new - partly because it was overly expensive for a small form factor gpu, partly because of what Nvidia DID - so, I was not contributing to Nvidia revenues and profit!
                    Okay, cool story.

It's basically a gpu to get video, imho - so, it's pretty pathetic they'd cripple that one and to save money further, use the wrong tech/chip with it. But, that's Nvidia? So, yes, the fact it's not a gaming chip - I think it is RELEVANT! More ppl will buy a gaming card so more ppl will likely be buying the 7900 'Rabbit card' - which is not really a 7900 series 'under the hood' - with defective chips, also - we all agree, right? The semantics of arguing it's 'still a 7900' notwithstanding. I already posted a number of ppl discussing it that proven without doubt, it's only a 7900 in name - since, there's a bunch of gimping done because it was silicon they could still savage.
                    Oh my god Argumentum ad populum, what you think the earth is also flat and Scientology is real because a bunch of people are telling you that is the case too?
                    It always amazes me how idiots try to flock together in the face of facts and go "wE cAn'T aLl Be WrOnG!".

As me and oiaohm have been saying the 7900GRE uses the same silicon as the 7900XT but a cut down version to salvage chips that came short.
                    The xda-developers you quoted even says so that "on paper it is extremely close to the 7900XT" (how about you read your sources for once), just less cores, less buswidth/bandwith and less VRAM. The 7800XT uses NAVI 32 , the 7900 GRE And 7900XT both use NAVI 31 and with Nvidia this naming behavior is also the same the RTX 4070 and 4070 TI both use AD104.... on launch as Nvidia starting March 2024 also began to ship RTX 4070 with a cutdown AD103 (RTX 4080 chips) and just like before you won't know if yours has AD103 or AD104 until you plug it in or take it apart entirely (the effects are also hard to measure as reviewers would have to get lucky and receive both an AD103 and AD104 and again they aren't sold as separate models, they are both put inside of the same RTX 4070 box).

But if you hate the 7900GRE because its performance is less than the other cards that it shares its die with (for some reason) wait until I hit you with this bombshell, Nvidia's 4000 mobile GPUs always use the silicon for one tier lower. So the RTX 4090 (and Dragon) uses AD102 but the RTX 4090 mobile uses AD103, the same as the RTX 4080, the RTX 4080 Mobile however uses AD104, the same one as the RTX 4070 and 4070 TI and this goes on until AD107 where finally the RTX 4050 and RTX 4050 Mobile are together at last (as are the RTX 4060 and 4060 Mobile. Well sort of as just like the RTX 4070 with AD103, nvidia started shipping RTX 4060's with AD106, again you can't know if yours does or not). [s]My god you must be livid!! How can Nvidia do this absolute crime of saying it is a 4080 (mobile) but use the 4070 silicon![/s]
                    And mind you this wasn't the case last gen where the corresponding mobile GPU did have the same silicon so the RTX 3070 had GA104, same as the RTX 3070 mobile.

Also originally there was a RTX 4080 12GB and if you look at the spec sheet like the AD104 silicon instead of AD103 like the RTX 4080 16GB, the 7680 shading units, the 240... TMUs, the 80 ROPS.... wait a minute that is identical to the RTX 4070 TI specsheet! Nvidia actually tried to sell a "4080" which in reality had 4070 silicon and way lower specs than the 4080 16GB, they then "unlaunched" this card and relaunched it as the 4070 TI which makes more sense since the RTX 4070 also uses AD104. Mind you that historically every xx70 and TI card had a corresponding silicon with 104 (3070 (TI)=> both GA104, 1070 (TI) => both GP104, 970 => GM204, Turing being weird and making the RTX 2070 TU106 but the RTX 2070 Super TU104). So uh Nvidia actually attempted and does what you accuse AMD of (wrongfully since the name stems less from performance and more from the silicon as it has done for ages and man finding out that stuff about the 4000 series mobile GPUs would not have been so hilarious if it wasn't for your ridiculous opinion).

And still: all of this was off topic as the original topic talked about was the state of nouveau drivers and how the GT710M users are in a coin flip predicament if they can use nouveau or must use the nvidia legacy drivers as the card is no longer supported by Nvidia, your terribly informed rant was never related and as usual the premise of it is your own delusion and a far cry from reality for people who actually do have knowledge on GPU manufacturing, naming and silicon.
                    I don't hate AMD - well, maybe somewhat -
                    No, you absolute do, you posted in a thread of which the article was already deleted for over a day and despite it being about a performance fix (on APUs but hey the article was deleted, how could you know) you immediately went to bash AMD for it (hell even if it was for GPU, wouldn't that be a good thing? That AMD fixes something that you find important?).That is clearly indicative of an unhealthy obsession. Here is the kicker; when Intel fixed an actual similar issue for their dedicated GPUs this month, you didn't randomly start posting there bashing Intel (or AMD, which wouldn't make sense but hey you are doing it here), despite that article still being up (and thus still accessible through the front page and most importantly readable).

because they refuse to support their hardware and neglect the software side - they don't support programs in the productivity sphere -
                    Oh god here we go again, I think we had this song and dance like what 4 times already?
                    I shared the benchmarks of Davinci Resolve and Premiere Pro before, the AMD cards punch well above their price in that department (compared to Nvidia).
                    So no you are wrong, per usual. AMD is behind with HIP-RT but that is less of "don't support" and more of "in development" and I have already giving you a dozen 3D use case where HIP-RT and Optix performance do not apply. AMD has also developed the current Blender USD Hydra plugin that is shipped with Blender that can be used as a render delegate for more advanced render engines like Dreamworks Moonray or Pixar's Renderman and it is usable for both Nvidia and Intel and as said multiple times before their own render engine that can also be used for Nvidia and Intel, so they do support the productivity sphere and their support of that sphere even benefits Nvidia and Intel (the things you know if you are actually in the productivity sphere).

so, yeah, they are like Nvidia in that they put profit and shortcuts above a good hardware/good software stack. Their processors are good - if I was buying a new PC or build, I'd definitely pick AM5 today.
                    ...what? If there is one thing you need to hand to Nvidia it is that CUDA is a great (albeit be it closed source) software stack, being exceptionally well optimized compared to OpenCL and having good documentation. CUDA being that good is what helped Nvidia achieve its current dominance (not to mention the insane performance/value aspect of the Pascal line during a time when people were taking bets when AMD would be declared bankrupt), but ROCM Is slowly and steadily getting better and in some cases has proven to give a better value already which is great for the consumer, stronger competition leads to better products, just look at the CPU space before and after first gen Ryzen.

Several links detail the tech differences. I'd give the gpu a hard pass - most ppl just care about gaming performance and the price.
                    There is also a difference between the 7900XT and 7900XTX, and the 4070 and 4070 TI doesn't mean the name does not make sense.
                    And okay, sure I think most people are of that opinion on that card. Doesn't mean you need to randomly rant about it (or how about you do it in the Phoronix review about it, well you actually already did do that but clearly you need to get it out of your system).

Comment

The RX7800TX is a 16GB card RX7900RE 16G card. and the 4070Super is 12G card. Guess what running ram consumes power. The power difference between 4070 Super and RX7800TX and RX7900GRE is mostly ram.

4070 Super is not cheaper everywhere. That 4G of ram difference can be the difference if a compute workload works well or not. 16 G ram card is a lot more expensive from Nvidia.

Linux users like me build systems I run for at least a decade. AMD I will have driver updates for that time frame. Nvidia not so much. So do more Nvidia matter if in 5 years time I am going to have replace the Nvidia card because it drivers don't want to work with the current X11/Wayland solution of Linux by then or by the AMD card that going to be good for the 10+ years.

This is a factor of long term performance is driver support. It common for AMD developers to find something wrong current driver and see that the old driver had the same problem on Linux and fix that has well.

Me building a system to run for a decade I am compare the 7900GRE against the 7800TX the 4070 super from Nvidia does not come into it.

Comment

Working...
                      X