No announcement yet.

Red Hat's Long, Rust'ed Road Ahead For Nova As Nouveau Driver Successor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More free work from the ngreedia asskissers.

And Dear Leader Jensen laughing all the way to the bank.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
      More free work from the ngreedia asskissers.

And Dear Leader Jensen laughing all the way to the bank.
      maybe jensen can stop laughing when amd or intel make a product worth half a damn. Intel is close though, currently using the A380 as a primary gpu for the last while and lately it's been very smooth sailing. pretty much all of my issues ive run into with the intel gpu on both sway and cosmic have been solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
        maybe jensen can stop laughing when amd or intel make a product worth half a damn.
        Put down the pipe, AMD and Intel work perfectly well on Linux. no having to install drivers, everything ships in the kernel, full GL 4.6 support and solid Vulkan support. Hell there's even CUDA for AMD now the performance is good, and RustiCL is humming along at over 50% completed.
        Last edited by DMJC; 21 March 2024, 02:51 PM.

Comment

I got a question : I have a GTX 970, which drivers will it need or use ? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronos View Post
            I got a question : I have a GTX 970, which drivers will it need or use ? thanks
            Nouveau/proprietary. Nova is for 2000+ cards, so not even the very popular 1060 will be able to use it.

Don't fret though. It's probably a long road until Nova gets close to usable.

Basically, you're stuck with proprietary forever unless you at some point to decide to upgrade your GPU, there is no GSP for 9xx or 10xx cards, so hardware reclocking won't work properly but for the proprietary driver.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post

Put down the pipe, AMD and Intel work perfectly well on Linux. no having to install drivers, everything ships in the kernel, full GL 4.6 support and solid Vulkan support. Hell there's even CUDA for AMD now the performance is good, and RustiCL is humming along at over 50% completed.
              I wanted to only put LOL but I hit a 5 character limit, so here is senseless padding so I can laugh at you.

LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Nope, absolutely not. The best thing I was able to compile with that POS toolchain on riscv was a small example.
                Riscv is supported without host tools. That's probably your problem, but is plenty enough for the kernel. Don't mix apples and oranges.

I would not have allowed any Rust code into the kernel
                You are free to use this policy in your own kernel.
                Last edited by oleid; 21 March 2024, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by STiAT View Post
                  Nouveau/proprietary. Nova is for 2000+ cards, so not even the very popular 1060 will be able to use it.

Don't fret though. It's probably a long road until Nova gets close to usable.

Basically, you're stuck with proprietary forever unless you at some point to decide to upgrade your GPU, there is no GSP for 9xx or 10xx cards, so hardware reclocking won't work properly but for the proprietary driver.
                  And nouveau is how many times slower than the ndivida driver ?
                  Will nouveau improve and get as fast one day ?
                  (if I understand the slowness of nouveau comes from reclocking and firmwares , or from other stuff too ?).
                  (AMD and Intel got it better in open source because of firmware and reclocking ? I start regretting having bought this card maybe.)

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronos View Post

And nouveau is how many times slower than the ndivida driver ?
                    Will nouveau improve and get as fast one day ?
                    (if I understand the slowness of nouveau comes from reclocking and firmwares , or from other stuff too ?).
                    (AMD and Intel got it better in open source because of firmware and reclocking ? I start regretting having bought this card maybe.)
                    I'd say ... a lot, they run on minimal clock I think, which is like 10% of their potential, so having a 9xx or 10xx card - go with the proprietary driver ... forever. Nouveau for those cards won't improve a lot I think, and will stay on basic support. It will stay slow as hell, and the developers were not able to implement or proper reverse engineer it over the years - and those people are not new to hardware. Focus goes to the new implementations for 2000+ chips, and there is not a lot of effort going on to continue to reverse engineer cards from 2015 and 2016.

Could it be done? Probably. Will it be done? My guess is it won't.
                    Last edited by STiAT; 21 March 2024, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cend View Post

The Linux kernel's internal interface used by drivers is unfortunately unstable by design. Mainline drivers are stable because someone breaking an internal interface is required to fix every user of it in the mainline kernel, but they are not responsible for out-of-tree drivers like NVIDIA's proprietary graphics drivers. See <https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/stable-api-nonsense.html>.

If you want the newest features of Linux (instead of just using LTS kernels), troubleshooting out-of-tree drivers is going to be a painful process, and nouveau is the only reasonable choice.
                      Nvidia test on latest linux git branch internally i think so this is not that big problem nowdays

Comment

Working...
                      X