Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nouveau Supporting HDMI 2.1 Won't Hopefully Be Too Challenging Thanks To NVIDIA Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
    If I read that correctly it just states it can carry CEC in the HDMI mode of Dual Mode DisplayPorts, which isn't a required feature, and would still require the protocol on the cable to be HDMI.
    That's directly over the pins since DP 1.0, what I meant is:
    DisplayPort 1.3 added the possibility of transmitting CEC commands over the AUX channel​
    which makes it a pure software/firmware problem.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenReaper View Post

​​​​​​I read some research on this once, the upshot was that neither closed nor open source has significantly different levels of defects, however open source code is fixed slightly faster once a vulnerability is identified (which might be because external parties can suggest or review a fix, including with the original report, or due to public pressure since the source is available).
      Do you have a link to this research? It would be interesting when the research was done, because to solve that theoretical upshot companies behind closed source code just created bug/security bounties which really incentivizes diagnosing issues ASAP.

Much appreciated
      Last edited by mdedetrich; 05 March 2024, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
        That's directly over the pins since DP 1.0, what I meant is:
        which makes it a pure software/firmware problem.
        What I see on the pins layout is "CEC (HDMI only)​"

and later
        DisplayPort in native mode lacks some HDMI features such as Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) commands.​
        So it has the hardware to pass through CEC in HDMI mode, but in DP mode it uses the same pin for something else, though it also stated elsewhere AUX-data COULD be used for CEC, but since the text is say both it is possible and that it doesn't actually have the feature. I assume it hasn't been standardized.. So until somebody implements it and makes uses of it I would consider CEC absent from DP, but not impossible to add.
        Last edited by carewolf; 05 March 2024, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenReaper View Post

​​​​​​I read some research on this once, the upshot was that neither closed nor open source has significantly different levels of defects, however open source code is fixed slightly faster once a vulnerability is identified (which might be because external parties can suggest or review a fix, including with the original report, or due to public pressure since the source is available).
          additionally open source cultivates updating/upgrading OS and security features more likely compared to closed source firmware/OS and customers choosing these standards for having no difficulties with rare/(possibly)non-successful system updates(?), e.g. how many would update (even if easy through remote network access) a DVD/BluRay-recorder/TV-display firmware, because they get information about (data) security (or even functionality) concerns(?)

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
            So it has the hardware to pass through CEC in HDMI mode, but in DP mode it uses the same pin for something else, though it also stated elsewhere AUX-data COULD be used for CEC, but since the text is say both it is possible and that it doesn't actually have the feature. I assume it hasn't been standardized.. So until somebody implements it and makes uses of it I would consider CEC absent from DP, but not impossible to add.
            Yes, that's my current understanding too.

Comment

I will gladly pay less for an HDMI free product.

Stop using that evil!

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
                I will gladly pay less for an HDMI free product.

Stop using that evil!
                How much are you willing to pay for a 4k 50"+ display with Display port?

Comment

Working...
                X