Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source NVIDIA Vulkan Driver "NVK" Merged Into Mesa 23.3

Phoronix: Open-Source NVIDIA Vulkan Driver "NVK" Merged Into Mesa 23.3

The NVK open-source NVIDIA Vulkan driver has finally been merged into mainline Mesa for easing development of this driver moving forward...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How many more years until Nvidia squares away those firmware bits?

Comment

Originally posted by gnarlin View Post
      never. as people keep buying their products and happily with a smile on their face buy into their eco system, closed drivers, and worst of all, do it on linux with glee even though they have alternatives and make excuses why they need cuda and will argue with you for hours how they can't live without cuda because money. i can understand windows users. i absolutely loathe with a passion linux users who buy nvidia by giving a massive middle finger to the entire reason why linux exists. open source and linux has not one but two open source alternatives. they are willing to go without windows software, but heaven forbid they go without their precious cuda.
      its not the same as a video game were you really don't have an alternative, and its a video game. not like you are hardware vendor lockin with it. but gpu's you damn do. you just wish to make pathetic excuses for nvidia and why you want to be vendor lockin to a single hardware vendor that charges you $1600 to use cuda for something like a 4090 that make you up excuses why you NEED it. which all boils down to your greed.
      no nvidia linux user will ever change my mind about their awful behavior.

and worst of all about it, i still see normal people who lurk and see these nvidia zealots scream off their lung about MUH CUDA, who see it, and think they too need cuda to play world of warcraft.
      Last edited by pieman; 04 August 2023, 07:51 PM.

Comment

I think Buzz said it best, "To Infinity and beyond!"

Comment

I'm stuck with 1060 and there's no sign of open driver. Kinda sick of hearing people saying nvidia gives good support driver on linux, because that's bs, some of my games are dark because unimplemented vulkan extension, nvidia driver that doesn't load after system update, my game won't launch after an update that I have to manually deal with it, not to mention secure boot situation, some open source app like waydroid doesn't work with nvidia proprietary driver. And all the other specific problems to my system.

Tl;Dr proprietary drivers will never going to run well and integrated under Linux.

Comment

Very impressive effort sadly focused on nvidia, personally i dont have any intentions to help leather jacket man for give more money

And actually stay thinking seriously on help amd but only if give new apus

Comment

Originally posted by pieman View Post
              and worst of all about it, i still see normal people who lurk and see these nvidia zealots scream off their lung about MUH CUDA, who see it, and think they too need cuda to play world of warcraft.
              There are also a lot of people who like to play with stable diffusion and some small LLMs, the performance and usability of ROCm or Vulkan is very poor compared to CUDA

Comment

for 2000 series and above, the needed firmware exists in Nvidia's open kernel driver and it's just a matter of integrating it into the Nouveau kernel driver (which work has already started on AFAIK). For 1000 series and below though, good luck ever getting reclocking...

Comment

I wonder how long until other drivers start refactoring to use the code that intended to be shared?

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

For 1000 series and below though, good luck ever getting reclocking...
                    Specifically it's people with 1000 series desktop/mobile, 900 series desktop and 965M+ mobile (aka Pascal/GPxxx and Maxwell 2/GM2xx) that probably won't ever get reclocking support, Nouveau can reclock older stuff like my GTX 960M pretty well (doesn't quite get to the same boost levels if the frequency reading is accurate, think it was like 1100MHz instead of 1202 MHz or something like that). Although of course by now those even older GPUs would be pretty anemic anyway even with reclocking, like even the integrated Radeon 680M in my current laptop can beat that GTX 960M with the proprietary driver.

Oh, and for mobile users of Pascal and older another middle finger NVIDIA has left behind is that their own proprietary driver is not (and probably never will be) able to turn off their own GPUs properly to save power too, so extra stuff like optimus-manager, bumblebee/bbswitch and whatnot would be needed to fix that, so yeah folks with Pascal and Maxwell 2 GPUs really got screwed over as far as proper Linux support is concerned.

Comment

Working...
                    X