Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nouveau Kernel Driver Patches Begin Preparing For "NVK" Open-Source Vulkan Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here you evoke a derrogatory image of another poster instead of sticking to the subject matter

the only previous post in this thread from another user that has anything similar says "worst take of yours since a while", which is still commenting your post not your person like you did with the "fan of Steve Jobs fan" bit

claiming "cringe" must also violate a dozen debate club intelectual honesty rules, but nobody held it against you

Originally posted by avis View Post
    Issues caused by user error? I've laughed. In Linux it's the user who is responsible for ... properly using their GPU. Are you a fan of Steve Jobs? Are those poor souls holding Linux wrong? God, it's such cringe it's actually unbelievable..

"look in the mirror" also evokes people who do not know themselves, lie to themselves, etc... whilst the point made is specific, the wording implies personal aggression

Maybe you should look in the mirror and realize it's the way the Linux kernel is being developed is an an issue and NVIDIA is not the only entity in the world which is affected by it. Old drivers are being dropped left and right in Linux because of this wonderful development model.

Comment

Here you state that "people are lying through their teeth" which implies intelectual dishonesty, when in fact:
      1) they probably believe what they're saying
      2) you are the one putting words in their mouths when through the rest of your post(s) you imply their claim to be that AMD is better for all use cases all of the time

You also claim people use linux "for religious reasons" which
      1) is derrogatory by implying cult-like behaviour
      2) dismisses any drawbacks they're willing to make to support opensource (adoption when things aren't perfect is one)
      3) dismisses the existance of any tangible practical advantages of opensource, immediate and especially long-term ones

You also claim "use Linux without a strong use case", which is dismissive of people's use cases and at the same time implies linux usage is somehow reserved to niche use cases (much more accurate connotation, no?) whereas in fact it's perfectly suitable for daily driving a general use PC in the hands of my 70-year-old mother-in-law that doesn't even understand the difference between linux and windows.

Anectodal evidence: she never needed to call me for help fixing the OS since I put linux on her PC. Automatic updates stopped breaking her usage. Popup OS nagging windows don't scare her anymore.

Will you please tell her I've made her switch because I'm a cultist? I'm not offended at all, this is just fine conversation... ""

My point is that people who advocate for AMD/Intel drivers are lying through their teeth when they claim that an Intel/AMD GPU will work better under Linux than an NVIDIA GPU.

This is not always the case. There are cases when NVIDIA drivers still work better. It's not black and white but then who I'm preaching to. The majority of people who use Linux without a strong use case (e.g. you need to develop software for Linux) do it for religious reasons. There's no reasoning with such people. Good luck.

Comment

"infested"
        I perfectly understand that. The fact that this topic is infested with hardcore AMD/Intel fans is quite astonishing. If you're happy with your drivers, why visit a topic about a vile company which obviously hates Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by cooperate View Post

I don’t really care about non-free firmware. Unless you’re in the FSF, you’re probably already using a bunch non-free firmware already, either from package manager or the Linux kernel itself. Even Debian started accepting non-free firmware. What difference does it make if it’s big or small? How do you even define big firmware? As long as it doesn’t touch my CPU and kernel, I don’t care. Anyways, I wish more hardware components had that GSP processor. In theory, you should have better performance by offloading those tasks to the firmware of your device.
          I never commented on whether it is a good thing or a bad thing.

As for size, a quick google suggests it might be 40+MB (which would need to be loaded in every initrd.)

By comparison, AMD firmware is broken down a lot by family in linux-firmware, each GPU family seems to be less than 1MB of firmware (and in total will add up to mor than that, if considering total impact on initrd).

( Others can probably correct me if I calculated this wrong)

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

I never commented on whether it is a good thing or a bad thing.

As for size, a quick google suggests it might be 40+MB (which would need to be loaded in every initrd.)

By comparison, AMD firmware is broken down a lot by family in linux-firmware, each GPU family seems to be less than 1MB of firmware (and in total will add up to mor than that, if considering total impact on initrd).

( Others can probably correct me if I calculated this wrong)
            Wow, I didn’t expect it to be so much smaller than I had imagined. 40 MB? I’m sure even my the 500 GB spinning rust on my crappy laptop can store that much.

Edit: nvidia gsp firmware is also broken down since 525.53 https://github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-k...ses/tag/525.53
            Last edited by cooperate; 19 January 2023, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X