Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Publishes 73k Lines Worth Of 3D Header Files For Fermi Through Ampere GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Then it's it's nothing of value so they deserve the usual fuck you Nvidia!
    The fans of an OS which has less 2% market share and practically zero modern AAA games continue to show their true colors. If I were NVIDIA I wouldn't bother.

WE USE LINUX! YOU OWE US!

Repeat ad infinitum. This is just ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by NobodyXu View Post
      Well, I'm sure nvidia has no interest in reading the comments here and they probably release it on the premise that they will benefit from this.
      It's not a matter of whether they read here (because you're right, they have no interest). The problem is allowing the mentality to fester and spread to places where those at Nvidia are more likely to notice. Companies will do what is most profitable. As of right now, Nvidia's work to open source stuff is doing nothing but costing them time and money (not enough has been opened up to make them a better choice for open-source than AMD or Intel). There is a whole market (albeit, not a big one) that Nvidia has pushed away for a long while now, and it's going to take a while before their drivers will reach a level that FLOSS fanatics will accept - we've learned how this works back when AMD was releasing their in-house open-source drivers. Nvidia is finally putting an effort to listen to FLOSS fanatics, but why listen if they will be hated for everything they do anyway? They could stop now before they burn more money on this.
      Last edited by schmidtbag; 09 August 2022, 10:35 AM.

Comment

I think expecting Nvidia to completely open-source their driver is unreasonable. If they would release the firmware for older GPU's, have an open-source kernel driver, and give basic header files and documentation more often, that would go a long way to making life better for nouveau. At least they are making some steps in the right direction. It's too little and too late to convince me to buy an Nvidia GPU, but maybe in another 10 years...

Comment

Why the reclocking is not possible on Nvidia GPus by open drivers?

Comment

Video decoding/encoding acceleration doesn't work on Nouveau as well.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

The fans of an OS which has less 2% market share and practically zero modern AAA games continue to show their true colors. If I were NVIDIA I wouldn't bother.

WE USE LINUX! YOU OWE US!

Repeat ad infinitum. This is just ugly.
              Go back to your BSD cave, please 😘

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
                Why the reclocking is not possible on Nvidia GPus by open drivers?
                Even if you have the addresses and a clue on what values they accept for setting the different voltages and frequencies, how would you determine what numbers are fine and what numbers will overclock and burn the board? With other stuff (like the stuff covered here in the opengl headers) you can trial-and-error things and only risk getting some bad colors or graphic artifacts. With electrical stuff you risk the hardware. And seeing how old some of this hardware is...

Comment

This is a good step for Nvidia and certainly should be encouraged. They are ultimately making progress at catching up to the rest of the GPU industry when it comes to platform interoperability.

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Go back to your BSD cave, please 😘
                  Please don't insult us BSD guys like that. We don't want him either.

I think he is an Apple Macintosh guy isn't he?

Last edited by kpedersen; 09 August 2022, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Awesome! Next the firmware pretty please ?

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                      Video decoding/encoding acceleration doesn't work on Nouveau as well.
                      For older hardware as well

They could at least give a hint on what's wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X