Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RealNC
    replied
    So they added VK_EXT_external_memory_dma_buf. Problem is, it doesn't even work, lol. (Used by https://github.com/nowrep/obs-vkcapture).

Great job!

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    I've tried such cables. No good. It may be possible with DP2.0 however, but those don't exist yet (in cable nor gpu support).

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    Mostly I want RGB444, 120hz needs to work along with VRR. After you tick all those boxes it punches well above 21Gbps which people are probably use to.
    I got an LG 27GP83B (rtings review) earlier this year, it seems to be good value for the money at least? ($320 USD on Amazon atm)

It's HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.4, it has GSYNC-Compatible and FreeSync Premium for VRR. It can manage 165Hz at 1440p, but I assume you had 4k in mind and perhaps larger than 27" size? I got that resolution and size for the DPI as an upgrade from 22" 1080p.

I was curious to try 4k, but I also wanted to see what the high refresh-rate hype was all about, there wasn't anything else that seemed worthwhile for the budget. I also chose this display for the colour gamut, response time and brightness (and preferring IPS over VA), I wasn't too fond of the gaming themed OSD and design but I dont' see the back of it and I mount it to a monitor arm so the stand was a non issue too.

Monitor aside, if you look at specifications for DisplayPort 1.4 you can see that it can handle just about 26Gbps, enough for 4k@120Hz. This version also adds DSC which can support 4k@120Hz with 10-bit+HDR too. I don't know if there's any DisplayPort 2.0 GPU and monitors yet, but apparently a single cable for that can support three 4k@120Hz displays.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    That's a beta driver.
    You, sir, are correct.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Also, idk about the "first R515 stable release", I've been running 515.43.04 for a while.
    That's a beta driver.

Leave a comment:

• pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Just a heads-up, there's this bug if you're running 5.18: https://github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-k...les/issues/256
    The workaround is in there and a promising patch, too, but it's not fixed yet.

Also, idk about the "first R515 stable release", I've been running 515.43.04 for a while.
    Yup, I've been on 515.43.04 since at least 2022/05/16 since that's the Tumbleweed snapshot this system is on.

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Out of curiousity, what were those requirements?
    Mostly I want RGB444, 120hz needs to work along with VRR. After you tick all those boxes it punches well above 21Gbps which people are probably use to.

Will have to see what happens down the line.

I was considering getting a RTX4080 in the future so perhaps that will be my best bet.
    Honestly moving from my 1080TI to the 6800XT has not been a smooth transition, basically traded one set of issues with a whole new set of issues! lmao
    I do like open-source however; but I really need display formats to JUST WORK out of the box and not have to fight to get them working. (like how they all just work under windows)

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Does the open kernel driver support HDMI2.1? or is that still locked away in the closed driver?

Having huge regrets with my AMD card since my screen is a HDMI2.1 dependent one. (there were no displayport screens that suited my requirements)
    Only the kernel modules are open for the time being and even those are only available for Turing or Ampere (you'd need one for HDMI 2.1 anyway).

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    Having huge regrets with my AMD card since my screen is a HDMI2.1 dependent one. (there were no displayport screens that suited my requirements)
    Out of curiousity, what were those requirements?

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    Does the open kernel driver support HDMI2.1? or is that still locked away in the closed driver?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X