No announcement yet.

Nouveau Gallium3D Begins Landing RTX 30 "Ampere" GPU Driver Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTX 1030 support with Vulkan when? oh well i can dream...

Comment

I used Nouveau with re-clocking on GTX 680 for about 2 years, experience was good, unfortunately the VRAM became so unstable that anything other than boot clock on memory would results in corrupted output on screen followed with freeze. I don't have direct evidence but I do believe that re-clocking feature in nouveau killed my VRAM.

Comment

Nouveau have been good enough to run Quadro 3000M on mine old laptop. But it completely suck with RTX2070S and single 4k DP connected display, it is also suck with multi-display configs.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Congrats on signing up!
          Thank you, I registered in order to answer you.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
            I used Nouveau with re-clocking on GTX 680 for about 2 years, experience was good, unfortunately the VRAM became so unstable that anything other than boot clock on memory would results in corrupted output on screen followed with freeze. I don't have direct evidence but I do believe that re-clocking feature in nouveau killed my VRAM.
            I used to run Nouveau (and the binary Nvidia drivers) on a GTX 645 (an OEM card), and never had any issues with the card (at least not any that it didn't come with from the factory, weird firmware issues with my old PC). Bear in mind the 645 was slow even at the time and ran very cool because of that. Slower than the iPGU of a lot of systems I think, especially nowadays.

Do you know what clocks it was being run at?

IIRC, the GTX 680 was a very hot-running card, so I wonder whether it might have repeatedly overheated due to lack of airflow and that killed it?

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

considering chrome was blacklisting nouveau for hardware acceleration, probably that is true.
              Please do not use the word blacklist as it can be triggering for some people who have experienced historical racism such as myself, the industry has already moved to other terms such as "denylist" or "blocklist".

Comment

Originally posted by conner View Post

Please do not use the word blacklist as it can be triggering for some people who have experienced historical racism such as myself, the industry has already moved to other terms such as "denylist" or "blocklist".
                sentiment blacklisted

Comment

I am sorry but in this case we are still stuck. The Linux kernel module blacklist was written in the 1990s when this racism issue was not even considered and was classed as acceptable terms back then. Changing it now not that simple. piotrj3 was using the term you have to use with the Linux kernel to stop a kernel module from loading.

conner basically no point complaining at piotrj3 over using the word blacklist because the Linux kernel does not call it denylist or blocklist for kernel modules. Lot of parts of the Linux kernel have stopped using blacklist where its been able to be done without causing major breakages. This is not the case with module blacklist as the patches so far put forwards to change it results in major breakages. Hopefully some point in the future someone will be able be able to come up with a change that removes this usage.

Yes industry for new work avoided blacklist word. The problem is migrating from existing usages of blacklist to something that does not use that word this is not an instant process particularly for items that have been in place for 20+ years.

Comment

Haha, you are funny!

Comment

whitelistn't

Comment

Working...
                      X